2013 interceptor utility brake issue | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 interceptor utility brake issue

How do i add photo of alignment sheet

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I've mentioned, and if you would focus on the actions I mention, you might find resolution. In addition, there are a lot of parts in the front and rear suspension, over and above what you replaced. If you want to make progress, review what I wrote above. I've given you simple things to check. More messages is not going to get you any closer to a fix unless you go get your hands dirty.

An alignment if set correctly shouldn't change drastically under panic stops. If you have a suspension component moving due to a bad bushing, it could cause a pull. Uneven brake pressures will do it too. Again, the ball is in your court.
As I've mentioned, and if you would focus on the actions I mention, you might find resolution. In addition, there are a lot of parts in the front and rear suspension, over and above what you replaced. If you want to make progress, review what I wrote above. I've given you simple things to check. More messages is not going to get you any closer to a fix unless you go get your hands dirty.

An alignment if set correctly shouldn't change drastically under panic stops. If you have a suspension component moving due to a bad bushing, it could cause a pull. Uneven brake pressures will do it too. Again, the ball is in your court.

Right front castor shows in RED 2.3. Not sure what that means ????? I will post full alignment sheet when I figure this out

Right front castor shows in RED 2.3. Not sure what that means ????? I will post full alignment sheet when I figure this out

The specs show the right front for the PI to be 3.3° ± 0.75°

Spec sheet they gave me shows left front initial 3.2. Specs 2.4 min. 3.9 max. Final left 3.2. Right front initial 2.4 ( red ). Specs 2.6 min 4.1 max. Final right 2.3 ( red )

Anything in red is not good. Indicates it is out of alignment.

Can caster be adjusted at all ? Can this indicate a bent frame ?

Can caster be adjusted at all ? Can this indicate a bent frame ?
On my printout there is no mention of "castor" only 'Camber'. Camber and Toe adjustments is what an alignment is all about. I think you should take it to the dealer or another alignment shop and have this checked/addressed before going any further. We seem to be going in circles here.

Peter

Yup, I agree just going in circles. Any reputable alignment place whether it be a Ford dealer or not would have told the customer that they were unable to align it within factory specs and discuss it with the customer. That is who you should be directing your questions at now.

It actually is driving Better since this last alignment. I’m trying to post the entire sheet from alignment. I have to upgrade my account . Will post shortly. I appreciate all the help

E1EC82F5-8548-4741-BDAD-32C67A404366.jpeg

It actually is driving Better since this last alignment. I’m trying to post the entire sheet from alignment. I have to upgrade my account . Will post shortly. I appreciate all the help
Thank you for taking out the Elite membership.:thumbsup:

Peter

Anyone have any insight regarding the alignment sheet that I posted ?

Your caster issue is most likely contributing to the pull. The vehicle will pull towards the side with the least positive caster. If you notice, the RF should have more positive caster than the LF, to account for road crown. Your toe settings were also messed up - did you notice any improvement after the alignment?

Has the vehicle been hit in the RF? The caster is shown as non-adjustable. Why yours is showing out of spec, either the lower control arm is pushed backwards for some reason or the upper strut mount is pushed forward. Or the alignment shops equipment was not calibrated correctly providing a false reading.

Follow this link for more info: AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Wheel Alignment, Camber and Caster

Locate the section on "Caster". The relevant part is here:

"Because the weight of the vehicle causes the wheels to turn to the inside, the side with the least caster exerts the least force. This means that the wheels naturally turn toward the side with the least caster angle. We say a vehicle pulls toward the more negative caster angle.

The caster by itself does not cause tire wear, but the caster angle can cause the toe to change. With a more positive caster angle, the wheels will toe in. An insufficient or excessive caster angle can cause toe wear, even with the toe set to specifications."

Yes vehicle shows accident . This alignment finally showed some improvement . I’m guessing now that a body shop will have to check it as nobody so far has visually noticed any bent or visually damaged parts.

I have not looked closely, but there may be enough room to elongate the upper strut mount holes to set the strut further back in the strut tower. That might help get a little more positive caster. Normally in this case, I'd suspect a bent LCA, but you said both were replaced. It won't take much to tweak it. If you face the tires straight ahead and measure from the rear of the wheel well to the tire at the same place on both sides, do both sides match? They should be very close.

I'd suspect if put on the frame machine that the issue would be in the lower sub frame area and not the tower, unless they had to pull the tower during a frame correction and pulled it too far forward and out of specifications.

Looked carefully under hood and did notice what is probably my issue. Let me know what you think. This vehicle did have right front accident . I noticed some creases by the right front Strut tower

6093B5F2-6171-4E8A-8EB6-D1A2736C0D1B.jpeg

386404FC-EB24-4776-AC18-D63FE89C19E9.jpeg

Back of tire to wheel well appear to measure same

447798E5-6BB2-43A6-B976-96B55809F34E.jpeg

Can caster be adjusted by means of a repair type kit ? Or does this definitely have to go to a body shop ? What about a possible bent knuckle or hub ? Any other ideas ? Turns out that dealer in Florida could care less about all the problems , I’ve contacted multiple times

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if a repair kit exists. It could be a bent steering knuckle where the strut attaches to it. You'd have to take a look at it to see.

Back