2016 - 2018 Explorer Headlight Question | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 - 2018 Explorer Headlight Question

Got the bulbs installed and turned them on and got nothing. The halogen bulbs are not sensitive to polarity, but the ballasts for the LED's are. Turned the plugs around and night turned into day! The colors are almost perfectly matched. The bulbs and ballast fit nicely into the housing and the rubber cap went right back on. I'm very happy with these. I installed a set of their H4 LED bulbs in my Yamaha FJR1300A a few months ago.

bulb.jpg

comparo.jpg

The front view shows the LED on the left and halogen on the right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the bulbs installed and turned them on and got nothing. The halogen bulbs are not sensitive to polarity, but the ballasts for the LED's are. Turned the plugs around and night turned into day! The colors are almost perfectly matched. The bulbs and ballast fit nicely into the housing and the rubber cap went right back on. I'm very happy with these. I installed a set of their H4 LED bulbs in my Yamaha FJR1300A a few months ago. http://s3.photobucket.com/user/chazglenn3/media/bulb.jpg.html http://s3.photobucket.com/user/chazglenn3/media/comparo.jpg.html The front view shows the LED on the left and halogen on the right.

Thanks! I'm going to order these same ones then :)

You will be very pleased! The bulbs I bought also use Osram LED chips instead of the Cree.

You will be very pleased! The bulbs I bought also use Osram LED chips instead of the Cree.

I have the bulbs & my husband will install them Saturday. Peter mentioned a couple of pages ago that it is not just a bulb swap - that more is involved. What did you have to do other than take out the old bulb & put the new one in?

I have the bulbs & my husband will install them Saturday. Peter mentioned a couple of pages ago that it is not just a bulb swap - that more is involved. What did you have to do other than take out the old bulb & put the new one in?
I did mention that the LED lights use 'reflectors' and the Halogen still uses the projectors to distribute the light. What I don't know is if the type is as critical regarding LED as it is when putting an HID bulb in a housing designed for Halogen. According to Charles, he just did the swap keeping in mind that the LED is polarity sensitive. Good luck. I'd be interested in knowing how much of a difference it makes while driving.

Peter

It was just a bulb swap. They appear to add some light when in use but the main advantage is the color match to the low beam headlights. As mentioned, if they don't work, flip the plug around. Let us know what you think!

Thanks, y'all. We will do the swap tomorrow but won't drive in the dark until Monday morning so I'll report after that.

My husband is looking at the owner's manual & it says that to change the bulb, you first have to remove the front fascia & front bumper assemblies. Is that correct :)?

My husband is looking at the owner's manual & it says that to change the bulb, you first have to remove the front fascia & front bumper assemblies. Is that correct :)?
Here is what the Manual shows for changing the High beam headlamp (page 293);

1. Switch all of the lamps and the ignition
off.
2. Carefully remove the cover.
3. Disconnect the electrical connector.
4. Turn the bulb holder counterclockwise
and remove it.
Note: You cannot separate the bulb from
the bulb holder.
Note: Do not touch the bulb glass.

Peter

He was looking at page 292 -- Removing A Headlamp

*Laugh* Yeah, we're fumbling our way around. He says his hand is too big to grab the bulb. We're tabling it for the night :)

He figured it out & we took a quick ride to see how they looked. They aren't that much brighter per se but the white light is crisper & makes everything appear with more clarity. I love them :)

He figured it out & we took a quick ride to see how they looked. They aren't that much brighter per se but the white light is crisper & makes everything appear with more clarity. I love them :)

My feeling as well. Glad you are happy! :D

SO which LED high beam bulb is that. IE what make/model.

also did it have a heat sink on it?

Got the bulbs installed and turned them on and got nothing. The halogen bulbs are not sensitive to polarity, but the ballasts for the LED's are. Turned the plugs around and night turned into day! The colors are almost perfectly matched. The bulbs and ballast fit nicely into the housing and the rubber cap went right back on. I'm very happy with these. I installed a set of their H4 LED bulbs in my Yamaha FJR1300A a few months ago.

bulb.jpg

comparo.jpg

The front view shows the LED on the left and halogen on the right.

Hi, I'm new here, I just got my 2016 Explorer Limited fully loaded, and i'm gonna change all the yellow lights (fog lights, high beam, puddle lamps, license plate and reverse). Looking at your photos the high beam looks very nice but i have a question, can you hear any noise from the high beam because of the fan that has built-in? that would be a deal breaker for me. Thanks

Hi, I'm new here, I just got my 2016 Explorer Limited fully loaded, and i'm gonna change all the yellow lights (fog lights, high beam, puddle lamps, license plate and reverse). Looking at your photos the high beam looks very nice but i have a question, can you hear any noise from the high beam because of the fan that has built-in? that would be a deal breaker for me. Thanks
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Please add the trim (Limited) to your profile so it shows in the margin every time you post. That can at times be very helpful when replying. Thanks.

Peter

I would really doubt you'd hear the fan near the bulb, let alone behind the wheel.
If you could, no one would want that "upgrade"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my only issue with the fan is really a matter of overheating or not working.

I mean how would you know if the fan was working or not - I'm sure you can't hear it with the car on.

so if it didn't work - would the bulb overheat and/or damage the wires?

Back