2016 Explorer LImited - hate the grille | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer LImited - hate the grille

16ExplorerAg

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
I have a '16 Explorer Limited in black/black on order. I hate the silver grilles on the '16s. I know it may be early but does anyone know where I could look for a new color-matched grille to put on? Would it be better to order after-market or just a replacement Sport grill from my Ford dealer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I might can see how on a black one it would look odd.

I like it on our white whatevertricoat one.

also think it looks good on the guard, red and the blue ones.

consider - before you buy something, and I hate recommending this - but tape off the insides and the body, and plastidip the thing black, and maybe flat grey or such - see how you like it.

few hours - non permanent - you could decide you won't like other options without dropping major money.

I agree the new grille looks better on some of the other coolers. With the black, I just think it looks out of place. I don't know why Ford had to fix something that wasn't broken.

I thought of using Plastidip or another spray-on product. I just worry about how it'd look. I'd rather pay if I know it will look good but I'm open to ideas. Are there any other spray-on products you'd recommend?

Once we verify fitment and possible required parts we will be offering the Sport grille as a swap for those interested.

2016-explorer_skv_7586.jpg

-Benny

I agree the new grille looks better on some of the other coolers. With the black, I just think it looks out of place. I don't know why Ford had to fix something that wasn't broken.

I thought of using Plastidip or another spray-on product. I just worry about how it'd look. I'd rather pay if I know it will look good but I'm open to ideas. Are there any other spray-on products you'd recommend?

I only recommend it as a temporary view. IE get some on there - live with it for say a week or so - feel it out.

if you don't like it, it was a cheap and easy change - peal and try again.

vs actually painting the grill - not cheap, not easy change.

get to where you like what you have - peel the plastidip off - and paint it with real paint or trade out the grill altogether. this why you aren't out much if anything.

also plastidip is and was meant to be temporary - it's purpose in life was to be a temp coating to put in for road trips to prevent rock chip damage. - they they realized it held color well

For anyone considering the new 16 model Police grills I found out today the 16 Police front clip is different from retail so they don't fit like they did on the 13-15 models.

I was asking about the EcoBoost Utility grill.

For anyone considering the new 16 model Police grills I found out today the 16 Police front clip is different from retail so they don't fit like they did on the 13-15 models.

I was asking about the EcoBoost Utility grill.

It seems they are separating the PI from the Explorer more and more.

probably has a bigger radiator and or structural member to support those crash bars everyone uses now

Picked up my new Limited and had the dealership install the matching Sport grille.

2hs0w43.jpg

You know it's sad. There use to be a very visual difference in a xlt and limited. I see no difference anymore. This is why I bought a loaded xlt

Picked up my new Limited and had the dealership install the matching Sport grille.
As you can see, your picture is way too large. It is recommended that pictures be held to the 800 X 600 range so that members don't have to use the R/L scroll. Are you able to resize it? Thanks.

Peter

You know it's sad. There use to be a very visual difference in a xlt and limited. I see no difference anymore. This is why I bought a loaded xlt

And one reason I went for a loaded 2011 XLT is I like the gray grill over the color matching grill on the 2011-15 LTD's.

All personal preference. I got the looks I wanted and options I wanted with savings over a LTD.

As you can see, your picture is way too large. It is recommended that pictures be held to the 800 X 600 range so that members don't have to use the R/L scroll. Are you able to resize it? Thanks.

Peter

Peter you can replace it with this

Attachments

• EX.jpg
    EX.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 1,058

Thanks but that won't work. I've tried that in the past but unless the member deletes it under his name, I get a message saying that the allowable limit has been exceeded. Even if I go and delete the picture first.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How easy is it to swap the grille? Is it just a couple of bolts or is it more involved?
There is a thread in the "List of Useful Threads" at the top of the 'Modified' sub forum on how to remove the grille on 2011+ models. Not sure if the 2016 is the same.

Peter

Back