2016 / 19 Explorer Roof Racks - Totally Different | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 / 19 Explorer Roof Racks - Totally Different

I've had the same Thule crossbars on three Explorers since 1987. I just had to buy new mounting systems with each new vehicle. Now with my 2017 Explorer, I had to spend $500 on a new Thule rack system. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had the same Thule crossbars on three Explorers since 1987. I just had to buy new mounting systems with each new vehicle. Now with my 2017 Explorer, I had to spend $500 on a new Thule rack system. :(
Just remember that if you have the moonroof the maximum weight you can carry is 45 lbs. 100 lbs without the moonroof.

Peter

Yakima now has available the Universal Mighty Mount Adapter no, 8003590 to use with factory cross rails so you can use your existing Yakima accessories. Only limitations are the meager weight limits of the factory rails.

I ended up getting the Thule rails, mounting kit and fit kit. Total cost was about $500. Ouch!

Yakima now has available the Universal Mighty Mount Adapter no, 8003590 to use with factory cross rails so you can use your existing Yakima accessories. Only limitations are the meager weight limits of the factory rails.
It's not the rails that determine the weight limits. If it was, the limit would be the same whether you have a moonroof or not. There is a discussion on this in another associated thread. The thinking was that it had more to do with the overall weight on top of the vehicle and its affect on vehicle stability. The logic in the weight differences was that the moonroof adds more weight than plain sheet metal.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2017-explorer-roof-rail-cross-bars.450566/

Peter

So here is something new for you all. My roof rack plastic covers started to melt. They melted in the rear and caused them to snap off the clips. I took it to the dealerships and they refused to fix it with only 2,000 miles. I pushed and pushed and finally they agreed to replace them. 2 month later and I have to go back already as the plastic is popping off again but now in the front. Doesn't look like they are melting this time just probably cheap plastic. Any one else experience this?

So here is something new for you all. My roof rack plastic covers started to melt. They melted in the rear and caused them to snap off the clips. I took it to the dealerships and they refused to fix it with only 2,000 miles. I pushed and pushed and finally they agreed to replace them. 2 month later and I have to go back already as the plastic is popping off again but now in the front. Doesn't look like they are melting this time just probably cheap plastic. Any one else experience this?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I thought I read a similar post about the rear plastic covers not that long ago but I'm unable to find it now.

Peter

I could have sworn I've seen a 2016 / 2017 with raised rails instead of flush rails. Maybe I am mistaken.

I have a '16 Interceptor that I was considering buying used raised rails (I don't want flush rails). Ultimately I want a roof basket setup, and right now the roof is completely naked. Any recommendations on how to best get from here to there?

I could have sworn I've seen a 2016 / 2017 with raised rails instead of flush rails. Maybe I am mistaken.

I have a '16 Interceptor that I was considering buying used raised rails (I don't want flush rails). Ultimately I want a roof basket setup, and right now the roof is completely naked. Any recommendations on how to best get from here to there?
Have you read post 42 re the weight limitations?

Peter

Have you read post 42 re the weight limitations?

Peter
I'm guessing post 42 is the one regarding 100lbs / 50lbs? If so, that is fine for my application. I'm still interested in doing this.

Just FYI .
My 2016 Limited roof rack leaked .

Glad I searched and found this thread first.

Very interested in adding OEM roof racks to a new PIU, just for aesthetics. It was only an $120 option and I should have done it when it was ordered. Just to confirm, the roof rack changed in 2016 to have kind of a full cover on it, no gaps or openings along the rail itself?

I'm wanting black rails so that has me limited to the Base model and the Sport model. Reason I'm double checking about the change is these salvage yard sites always ask about any possible other model years that would work.

Thanks guys.

.......Very interested in adding OEM roof racks to a new PIU, just for aesthetics. It was only an $120 option and I should have done it when it was ordered. Just to confirm, the roof rack changed in 2016 to have kind of a full cover on it, no gaps or openings along the rail itself?
Thanks guys.
That's correct. No gaps. It sits flush to the roof. If you were looking to tie anything down, you'll need what is shown in post #36 if getting the 2016/17 rails.

Peter

New to the group and first time post....

I have a 2016 Ford Explorer Limited with the crossbars (installed by factory) and was wondering if its possible to remove the crossbars and install on my 2013 Ford Explorer Limited? If it's doable, does someone have pics or how-to video or is this something I may have to take into the dealer to have done.

Thanks!

New to the group and first time post....

I have a 2016 Ford Explorer Limited with the crossbars (installed by factory) and was wondering if its possible to remove the crossbars and install on my 2013 Ford Explorer Limited? If it's doable, does someone have pics or how-to video or is this something I may have to take into the dealer to have done.

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Cross bars are an option and don't come installed from the factory. If you go to the Ford website and check out the Accessories Store you will see that the cross bars for the 2016/17 Explorers have a different part number than those for the previous years. Since the roof rails were redesigned in 2016 I would guess that the cross bars for a 2016 cannot be used on a 2013.

Peter

The passenger side roof rail is coming off my 2016. Took it to the Dealer and the SA didn't even touch it, just looked at it from 5' away, said 'ok, I can see it's loose' and wrote it up to be replaced with a new part. This will require taking the headliner out to get access to the rail bolts, oh joy.

My 2016's passenger side rail came loose all by itself, it is at the Dealer's right now getting replaced under warranty (along with a wobbly power window) and the SA just called and informed me that they need to order additional parts. We discussed if the loose rail could cause a leak into the headliner, he said he'd check when the inside headliner is removed (and who knows what else) to get at the attachment bolts. Looks like they will have the car about one week and I have a loaner, the 3rd in the last 5 weeks. o_O

New passenger (right) side Roof Rail was installed, no water leaks detected. The upper and lower Rail Assembly were needed because of "clips loose/stretch".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So to recap the thread, the new style is definitely designed to be more aero-dynamic and quiet than the older raised style. Virtually every cargo box these days from Thule/Yakima have universal crossbar mounts, but I can see how people with older roof racks might not be able to install them on the newer style. With the moon roof, the technical weight limit is a whopping 45 pounds, but it's clearly a center of gravity constraint. Who doesn't get the moonroof?

I have a https://www.rackattack.com/cargo-luggage-racks/cargo-boxes/yakima-skybox-lo-carbonite/ which I felt is an excellent match for the Explorer -- low, but wide profile has low noise, still has 15 cubic feet of space, opens on both sides, and raises my height from ~5'11" to ~6'11", so while I couldn't get into some underground parking areas, I was able to get into others -- didn't try unless it was 7'2"+. It opens on both sides, and handled a lot of skis/snowboards, enough to match the passengers, but maxed out at 2 snowboards... skis weren't a problem. On the highway, was remarkably quiet. The roofrack empty weighs 52lbs. I bought it purely for skiing -- and the cons on this is it won't likely fit anything but small sized luggage, ski gear, camping gear, duffle bags, etc.

The low weight limit on the Explorer is ridiculous, but I figure low and wide is better for center of gravity than having a small roofrack that installs on a single side. I was easily carrying an additional 50+ lbs of ski gear inside. It's not like these cars are being raced around corners, but I'd also probably also avoid even light offroading with a loaded roofrack. For city driving and trips to the mountains, I think it's totally fine. But the funny thing is, you see promotional materials with canoes on top and they sell cargo boxes too that clearly break these weight restrictions.

I'm loving my Explorer!

9kwAVu.jpg

Back