Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2016 Explorer Sport - Audio System Build

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by Lexingtonian, February 2, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Lexingtonian

Lexingtonian Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Lexington, KY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2016 Exp Sport w/401a
      Next I fit one the speakers up and found that the magnet was hitting the steel (as I suspected it would). I used a hammer and some well placed smacks to detent the steel to make up the difference. :) One of my neighbors came over as I was caving in the steel with my hammer wonder what in the heck I was doing to my truck. It was pretty loud. I took a photo of the passenger side I caved in and a photo of the driver side before I caved it in for comparison.

IMG_8685.jpg IMG_8686.jpg

Once I got everything mounted up I was happy with the results.

IMG_8688.jpg

I must say, now that I have a side channel on the MS8 I can hear, Logic 7 never sounded so good. I am running the rear door and d pillar speakers in parallel to the amp as I dont have more channels on the MS8, but this works very well and really does provide the rear passengers with some sound so the Sub doesn't drown them out. I'm very pleased. Need to re-run MS8 Calibration, perhaps tomorrow. ...or perhaps I'll take a few weeks off. This build has been a LOT of work - ;-)

Last edited: December 24, 2017
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Lexingtonian

City, State:
      Lexington, KY
      2016 Exp Sport w/401a
      I also wrapped up the stealth box install today. I removed the plastic welds from the stock speaker grille and cut the top and bottom lip from the panel so the Stealthbox will fit.

IMG_8667.jpg IMG_8668.jpg IMG_8669.jpg

I had to drill a couple holes so the JL Audio suppled bolt and nut would fit. I primarily used a step-bit as they create a clean hole and say to control.

IMG_8672.jpg

Finally got everything buttoned up. Looks good and the rear seats work perfectly.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

4. CommandPresence

CommandPresence Elite Explorer

2014 PIU Explorer

Sent you a PM regarding the above!

5. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      VanBC/GoodyearAZ
      2017 Explorer SPORT
      That's very impressive....I wish I had 1/10 of your stereo install skills. Well done!

• Like Like x 1
    6. Lexingtonian

City, State:
      Lexington, KY
      2016 Exp Sport w/401a
      Just wanted to post an apology to new viewers as Photobucket has decided to kill all free photo-linking. Hopefully sometime in the future I'll have time to relink all the photos on a new service. Apparently Photobucket isn't allowing downloads (as downloading appears to be broken).

7. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      VanBC/GoodyearAZ
      2017 Explorer SPORT
      That's going to be a big deal because lots of members here use the direct links in Photobucket to show their Explorer mods.

8. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Also many pictures here posted using 3rd party sites have disappeared over time which can be very frustrated. Not sure if Photobucket was one of those sites. Don't know why more members don't spend $20 for an Elite membership to making posting photos easier and then they are saved to the Forum servers. Plus it also helps to support this site.
      Commercial ends.:)

Peter

9. Zodiac

Zodiac Active Member

2017 Ford Explorer Sport
      Are there any recommendations on what speakers are a good upgrade for our EX?

I am looking for something a bit louder and with more "thump"...I tried looking on Crutchfield but they don't seem to have much information for the 2017 Sport. I have the sony system.

Thanks.

10. DMG632

DMG632 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Seattle, WA
      2016 Explorer Sport
      Zodiac, you will not get "more thump" by just changing the speakers. To get "thump" you need more power to the system in the way of a amp or two, then start looking for new speakers.

11. Lexingtonian

City, State:
      Lexington, KY
      2016 Exp Sport w/401a
      Zodiac, for some dumb reason I am just seeing this. So sorry. I bought a JL Audio Stealthbox with single 10W3. I'm "fairly" happy with it. I suppose it depends on just how much thump you need. The 10 will shake the rearview mirror a bit and feels like roughly 4x what the factory 8' gives.

Over the next couple days I'll be fixing my photos in this build log. Hope perhaps you get some ideas that help you if you haven't moved on it already.

On speakers... Honestly, the speakers in the front doors are actually quite good. Not sure if I had it to do over if I would have changed them. The center channel, however, I am glad I changed to a 5 1/4". The 3.5" center speaker is utter crap. Rear Door speakers are fine left alone and I am glad I changed the D Pillar Speakers from measly 3.5" weak-sauce speakers to much stronger 4" speakers (with decent 1" soft dome tweeters).

.....The real trick to making the Ex sound amazing is audio processing. I'm using the JBL MS8 which is a brilliant piece of kit and very easy to make the Ex sound great. I'd add a processor before I'd change speakers (maybe change the Center and add a better sub). You would be amazed at how much better the Ex would sound.

Lex -

12. Lexingtonian

City, State:
      Lexington, KY
      2016 Exp Sport w/401a
      Update 12/24/17 - Many/most of the photos are back, but I still need to do a little work to them. I'm going add a more before I'm done. At the time of the original post, Ex Forum only allowed 10 photos per post. Now that I'm a member it allows for 20 per post. This really helps. Hopefully will wrap this up over the holiday..

13. Zodiac

Zodiac Active Member

2017 Ford Explorer Sport
      No problem, thanks for the reply.

I don't really need anything that special. I am just a bit underwhelmed by the "Premium" Sony sound system.

Ideally I'd like to keep as much stock as possible.

14. Lexingtonian

City, State:
      Lexington, KY
      2016 Exp Sport w/401a
      Completely understand. Toss any other questions you may have my way.. happy to help. I would recommend the stealthbox if it’s within budget. Its pretty out of the way..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    15. nid

nid New Member

2016 Explorer XLT
      Awesome guide @Lexingtonian! I do have a question. Where did you get the ACM pinout diagram (assuming you did) so that you know which wires feed which speaker(s)? I'm asking because I need one myself :)

16. Lexingtonian

City, State:
      Lexington, KY
      2016 Exp Sport w/401a

I thank you very much! I apologize for the brevity sitting here having a scotch and a cigar and a Bourbon bar with a good friend. Look at the very first post under the section called Ford Audio related. Look at number one. Should have a link for you to download them. If that doesn’t work let me know and I’ll get them to you!

Last edited: January 8, 2018
    17. nid

nid New Member

2016 Explorer XLT
      @Lexingtonian thanks much! I believe I found what I needed and hope you enjoyed your Bourbon :) I have another question and I apologize if you already addressed it and I just missed it. When you program the APIM for variable line output does that mean you have to make sure all output channels now go through an amplifier (or something like this: AudioControl LC7i (Black)

The reason I'm asking is that for now I just want to run the door speakers only (I replaced the factory ones) through an after market amp (I have an XLT version, so no Sony amp) and maybe add another one down the road. So I'm worried that the center channel and the (really sad) third row speakers will sound even worse.

18. Lexingtonian

City, State:
      Lexington, KY
      2016 Exp Sport w/401a
      If you enable variable line out, you -have- to have some sort of line level to amplification conversion. Your audio control would work but I would much rather have a processor to time align the signal. My MS8 has really good amplification built in frankly I installed on in my Dads F150 and was quite impressed.

At the simplest level, you could take the front line level channels directly into the RCAs on an amp for your fronts and perhaps use a 5 channel amp for rears + sub for your rear line level output channels. Don’t forget, the D pillar speakers (if you have them) are wired in parallel so they won’t play in stereo. Ford cheated on those quite a bit. I fixed mine however.

Happy to discuss more if you’d like. PM me your contact info (phone) if you’d like to dig deeper.

Cheers hope this helps