2016 Explorer Sport boat/small trailer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Sport boat/small trailer.

Getting a 2016 Explorer Sport next week.
I'm aware of the 5,000 lb towing capacity.

We have 3 young kids that are only getting bigger every year. We like to take summer trips about 5 hours away from home.
We are considering a 21' speed boat in the near future. Think the boat and trailer will weigh about 4,000 lbs.

Has anyone attempted to haul a boat and full load of people/cargo with a 2016 Sport?

I currently own a 2007 Chev 1/2 ton and may trade up to 2015 up f-150 s crew.

Thinking the f-150 would be a lot better for towing/hauling but the 3 kids would be more comfortable in the explorer with the captains seats.
Opinions please!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, be sure you get the Class 3 towing package if you want that 5000 lbs tow rating.
Assuming that:
Tongue weights and WDH kits shouldn't be a concern with that boat. Just realize that anything you put in or on top of the Explorer (except the driver) is a subtraction from tow rating. By the time the kids are bigger, plus the DW, could easily be 600 lbs of passengers. Add in luggage, and you be pushing that limit.

The good thing is a boat is a lot easier to pull thru the wind than a camper. I think you are technically OK, but it's good that you are asking around for actual experience. I would include any 5th generation model with an Ecoboost, not just the 2016.

Thanks
Yes we ordered a 2016 Sport which comes with the class 3 hitch.

Does anyone know what the max payload capacity is? I'm talking payload not trailer weight... Passengers, gear, tongue weight, etc. Seems easy to find that info on pick-ups eg when building an F-150 on Ford website it tells you those numbers. No such info on the Explorer. I know a lot of cars and crossovers are really designed for 2 adults and kids in mind!

Always shake my head when I see a Toyota Yaris driving down the road full of adults. Tires jammed half way up into the wheel wells! Lol.:eek:

Thinking best thing to do is check GVWR on door sticker and simply scale it to see what it can do. I'm sure a day trip to a local lake would be fine, but a long road trip packed full of gear would be more suitable with a truck. Just need to convince the wife I need a new F-150!!!:D. They sure look good!!:thumbsup:

Reading into this a bit more plus what TBM said it sounds like the 5000lb tow rating is the max it can tow basically with 1 person-the driver in the car.
If I add 1000lbs of people and cargo would I be safe to assume the tow rating drops down to 4000lbs?

In the pick-up truck world it seems to be different as they give a gross-combined rating. Towing and payload are almost treated separately.... I think??

Take an F-150 with max tow package, good for approx. 11,000lb. You're almost better adding weight to the trailer as opposed to the truck bed. Sounds like in the explorer it almost "doesn't matter" where the weight goes?? It's all "taken away" from that 5,000 lb rating.

After receiving the Explorer I'd like to look into this a bit more...scaling, etc. Like I said using a truck for trailering and cargo would be safer but I'm sure the kiddos would be more comfortable in the Explorer vs the back seats of a pick-up. Safety does come first though IMHO.

Thanks
Yes we ordered a 2016 Sport which comes with the class 3 hitch.

Does anyone know what the max payload capacity is? I'm talking payload not trailer weight... Passengers, gear, tongue weight, etc. Seems easy to find that info on pick-ups eg when building an F-150 on Ford website it tells you those numbers. No such info on the Explorer. I know a lot of cars and crossovers are really designed for 2 adults and kids in mind!........
My gen 4 Mountaineer shows the Cargo Capacity (basically payload) on the driver door sticker. Check yours.

Reading into this a bit more plus what TBM said it sounds like the 5000lb tow rating is the max it can tow basically with 1 person-the driver in the car.
If I add 1000lbs of people and cargo would I be safe to assume the tow rating drops down to 4000lbs?

In the pick-up truck world it seems to be different as they give a gross-combined rating. Towing and payload are almost treated separately.... I think??

Take an F-150 with max tow package, good for approx. 11,000lb. You're almost better adding weight to the trailer as opposed to the truck bed. Sounds like in the explorer it almost "doesn't matter" where the weight goes?? It's all "taken away" from that 5,000 lb rating.

After receiving the Explorer I'd like to look into this a bit more...scaling, etc. Like I said using a truck for trailering and cargo would be safer but I'm sure the kiddos would be more comfortable in the Explorer vs the back seats of a pick-up. Safety does come first though IMHO.
6 of one, half-dozen on the other. Ford treats all of their vehicles the same as far as tow ratings vs GCVWR.

GCVWR = Empty vehicle + 150 lbs driver + Max tow rating
Of course, GCVWR is usually a hard number, while empty vehicle weight can vary by vehicle build/options.
Therefore, it's typically more useful to start with the GCVWR, and subtract all known weights (empty vehicle, loaded trailer, driver, passengers).
This will leave you with the amount of capacity available in the tow vehicle.

6 of one, half-dozen on the other. Ford treats all of their vehicles the same as far as tow ratings vs GCVWR.

GCVWR = Empty vehicle + 150 lbs driver + Max tow rating
Of course, GCVWR is usually a hard number, while empty vehicle weight can vary by vehicle build/options.
Therefore, it's typically more useful to start with the GCVWR, and subtract all known weights (empty vehicle, loaded trailer, driver, passengers).
This will leave you with the amount of capacity available in the tow vehicle.

Hence why I think scaling is always a good idea. Scale empty(except my ass in the driver seat) then go from there.

Getting a 2016 Explorer Sport next week.
I'm aware of the 5,000 lb towing capacity.

We have 3 young kids that are only getting bigger every year. We like to take summer trips about 5 hours away from home.
We are considering a 21' speed boat in the near future. Think the boat and trailer will weigh about 4,000 lbs.

Has anyone attempted to haul a boat and full load of people/cargo with a 2016 Sport?

I currently own a 2007 Chev 1/2 ton and may trade up to 2015 up f-150 s crew.

Thinking the f-150 would be a lot better for towing/hauling but the 3 kids would be more comfortable in the explorer with the captains seats.
Opinions please!

With pulling a boat at 4000#'s you are correct that it would be easier to pull with the F150.

For your Ex Sport here is what you can consider. I am doing the same with my Platinum but doing it to and from my cabin only. (twice/year) but here is the math I did for mine boat.

The Explorer is 4901# The total GCWR is 10,400lbs (Sport and Platinum with Class III Tow pkg. Subtracting both the Ex and the boat at 4K you have 901# remaining for people , gas and other items.

Back