2016 Limited 2nd row passenger heated seat not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Limited 2nd row passenger heated seat not working

Summers22

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Limited 4x4 3.5
Just noticed my passenger side middle row heated seat is not staying on. If I push the button, both red lights for low/high flash one time and then stay off. The seat next to it (middle row behind the driver seat) still functions as normal. I prefer to do some tests if you have any for me to try before I decide to call the dealership. It is out of factory warranty but I do have a CPO/extended warranty for it. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't recall this particular issue being posted before. Not that I think it matters but is it a seat or buckets? I'm guessing that the flashing may signal some kind of error code.

Peter

I should have clarified that Peter, thanks. It is the bench style 40/60, not buckets. I did inspect the wiring, unplugged the connector on the bottom of the seat, sprayed a little electrical pats cleaner in them and had no change.

Usually when you get a quick flash on any heated seat (any OEM) this usually means the system shuts down due to an open circuit or a short. Most systems do a precheck of the resistance of the heating element before applying current.

Also, could be a bad temperature sensor in the seat.

Has anyone found a fix for this? On my 2nd row buckets the drivers side works but the passenger side is doing what is described above. Thanks!

Has anyone found a fix for this? On my 2nd row buckets the drivers side works but the passenger side is doing what is described above. Thanks!
If you are still under warranty perhaps a dealer visit may shed some light on this issue.

Peter

If you are still under warranty perhaps a dealer visit may shed some light on this issue.

Peter
Unfortunately not. I have 59,000 miles on it

Did you ever get a solution for your issue? Mine has buckets as well, and just like you, the passenger side is doing the exact same thing, it flashes on once and then turns off. The driver side works normal. It's been doing that for several months now.

At first I thought it was a faulty fuse since it happened after I hardwired my dashcam+battery using an add-a-fuse, but nothing appears out of the order there (would be weird anyways, considering the fuse is for both rear heated seats according to the manual).

Add me to the list. Passenger side rear seat heater does not function. Just blinks once & then shuts off. Driver side rear works fine. Any suggestions?
Thank you

Add me to the list. Passenger side rear seat heater does not function. Just blinks once & then shuts off. Driver side rear works fine. Any suggestions?
Thank you
I had it fixed under warranty when I brought my Explorer in for something else. Turned out the heater pad was defective and needed to be replaced. Been working ever since.

My 2016 Explorer is doing the exact same thing... When attempting to turn on the 2nd row passenger side heated seat, the light on the button flashes then goes off and the seat does not hear up. 2nd row driver's side works fine.

Anyone have the part number for the heating element? In my limited troubleshooting, there is a control box under the passenger seat, but that seems to control both seats (when disconnected neither seat works). There is NOT a control box under the 2nd row driver's side, that I have found. Thinking that it may be the heating element in the passenger side as "svache" stated replacing that fixed theirs and it seems that most of us are having issues with the passenger side.

Well, I'm back with the same issue, this time with our 2018 Explorer Sport... It is at the dealership right now getting checked. 35,871 miles so under warranty (I hope).

I will update this when I find out what the fix is.

Well, I'm back with the same issue, this time with our 2018 Explorer Sport... It is at the dealership right now getting checked. 35,871 miles so under warranty (I hope).

I will update this when I find out what the fix is.

Hi, new to the forum. Found you looking for a solution to this same problem.

Rear passenger seat heater flashes then wont turn on. I'm a month out of warranty and 32k miles. $130 to diagnose plus repair.

Have any of you found the solution? Did the heating element fix it?

Hi, new to the forum. Found you looking for a solution to this same problem.

Rear passenger seat heater flashes then wont turn on. I'm a month out of warranty and 32k miles. $130 to diagnose plus repair.

Have any of you found the solution? Did the heating element fix it?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Hopefully you will get a reply. The member was last seen here in April.

Peter

The issue with our 2018 was a faulty heating element fixed under warranty.

Less than a year late and both seats are not working again

You could always use you volt meter and do a ohms test for resistance and compare it to your other seat heaters see if they match. Look for caught/pinched wires from seat moving ect. Also test from the seat to the button/switch see if there is a break in the wire someplace. Of course fuses and things.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just noticed my passenger side middle row heated seat is not staying on. If I push the button, both red lights for low/high flash one time and then stay off. The seat next to it (middle row behind the driver seat) still functions as normal. I prefer to do some tests if you have any for me to try before I decide to call the dealership. It is out of factory warranty but I do have a CPO/extended warranty for it. Thanks

Back