Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2016+ Raptor Style Grill and Hella Horn swap

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by bigtexan99, December 14, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bigtexan99

bigtexan99 Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2016 Explorer Sport
      Ordered a glossy black grill off the ebay and installed it today. To remove the front grill requires removing the whole front clip. I had it done at a body shop. On the 2015 and down, you can remove the grill without removing the clip, but its impossible on the 2016+ The whole front clip must be removed.

There are some 10mm bolts on top of the grill and 2 push pins. , then you need to remove small bolts in the front wheel wells and then the fender trim. Jack/lift the front of the Explore. Then, remove all the bolts along the lower bumper. Finally you can reach behind the wheel well to get at 3 bolts holding the clip to the front of the car. They have a ton of threadlocker on them and are hard to turn. 3 bolts each side. Make sure to support the front clip then disconnect the headlight wiring harness on the driver front side behind the bumper. On the passenger side disconnect and temporarily plug the water line to the front camera washer.

Now the whole front clip including the grill can be tilted forward and removed. Now you have to remove a big bracket piece on the back side of the grill, and then all the clips holding the grill to the front clip.

While the front clip was off, I went ahead and replaced the factory horn with a Hella twin tone horn set TE16. They fit just fine in the factory location, and you reuse the same mounting hardware. I did have to cut the horn wires and re-wire it with new wire as the factory horn has a custom plug/pigtail. You could probably replace the horn without having to remove the whole front clip, just remove the bolts on the top of the grill and then remove the top piece, it might be a tight squeeze but I think it could be done. It was a piece of cake with the front clip off.

I wired the 3 leds in the new raptor grill into the lower fog lights, so they turn on whenever the fog lights are on.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
      [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

New horn sound from youtube:

Last edited: December 14, 2017
      • Like Like x 2
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. tincbtrar

tincbtrar New Member

2015 Explorer XLT
      The Hella mod is interesting - might consider it for my 15. Too bad there isnt a plug and play harness though. The stock horn sucks, especially in NYC.

4. tmc2009

tmc2009 New Member

City, State:
      Bremerton, Washington
      2015 Explorer
      LOVE THE LOOK!

5. MegaCleanCab

MegaCleanCab Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Sultan
      2016 Ford Explorer Sport
      Looks great. I installed the grill and a led light bar today. I am wondering where I can get a signal for all lights. Iwant the grill lights to be one when the lights are on. Also does anyone know a location I can pick up the high beam signal for the light bar?