2016 Sport Sony Radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Sport Sony Radio

jdgohus

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
I noticed that I have very little bass even with it adjusted all the way up. Also for a decent sound level I have to turn the volume up close to the middle. I can hear a little bit of sound coming from the subwoofer but not rumbling like a subwoofer should do. I came from a 2013 Fusion Titanium that had the same Sony 390 watt radio and the thing blasted me out of the car and had tons of bass even adjusted in the middle and at lower volume levels. Before the Fusion I had a 2007 EB with a 390 watt radio and subwoofer and it also had way more bass than I have with the 2016. I'd like to ask other 2016 Sport owners what do they think about their radio quality and if they are noticing the same thing with the bass on their Sony radio?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although I have a '14 Sport, I feel the same way. Doesn't seem to have much bass unless you're at least half way up the volume, but then it's getting too loud unless I have the windows open driving on the freeway. My wife's CX9 has decent bass even when the equilizer is set 'flat'.

UPDATE:
For some strange reason when I drove my Sport yesterday, the radio is performing much better now like it should with allot more bass and volume. I wonder if the Sony amp was not working? I was going to check the fuse for the amp, but seeing where the fuse box is I didn't bother because I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get the fuse back in. If the fuse is blown on the amp, would the radio still play?

UPDATE:
For some strange reason when I drove my Sport yesterday, the radio is performing much better now like it should with allot more bass and volume.
I notice the same thing. It all depends if I'm wearing my hearing aids or not. :D

Peter

I have noticed that if you listen to Sirius, the quality sucks. Hardly any bass and things seem muddy sounding.

When I listen to regular HD radio, the quality is ALOT better and the audio sounds great.

I have noticed that if you listen to Sirius, the quality sucks. Hardly any bass and things seem muddy sounding.

When I listen to regular HD radio, the quality is ALOT better and the audio sounds great.

No one really has good things to say about sound quality for Sirius. It is a Sirius issue not a Ford issue.

No one really has good things to say about sound quality for Sirius.

Sound quality based on source probably goes in this order from best to worst:

1) CD

2) Memory stick - MP3 quality will be based on the bit rate they were burned at

3) HD radio

4) Streaming

5) Satellite - It may be due to narrow data bandwidth that causes sub par sound quality

HD radio and streaming might be somewhat interchangeable depending on the streaming source and it's sound adjustments if present.

Now that I've had a month in my Sport, I'd like to add more Bass.

Can anyone who has added more base or replaced the front door speakers share their solution?

I read through that other 20 page post but it seemed like overkill.

Anyone just replaced the sub with a different model?

Now that I've had a month in my Sport, I'd like to add more Bass.

Well. It turns out my Sony amplifier was partially defective and that's why I was not hearing as much bass and mid-range as I would have liked. The Sony DSP amplifier was replaced yesterday as part of a bluetooth/phone issue I was having and the difference is a whole order of magnitude better!

At this point I'm satisfied with the factory Sony system and don't plan on upgrading any of the components. I wonder how common this is? I've read lots of posts on here with folks -like me- being unhappy with the factory Sony system.

Back