2016 steering wheel controls | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 steering wheel controls

bcampbe7

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
Just bought a new to us 2016 Explorer Limited 4WD. Love the vehicle, but I noticed something odd. The radio controls on the steering wheel are backwards. To adjust the radio station up you press the bottom button, to adjust down, you press the upper button. The volume buttons are correct. I was willing to deal with this, but noticed other 2016 Explorers in online for sale ads have the radio station change buttons correct (Up to adjust up, down to adjust down). Is this something that is a known thing? I am not sure what the build date of ours is, but did Ford let a few early builds get out of the factory like this before realizing it was backwards? Will my dealer correct this? Can I buy new set of buttons and install myself? Should I correct this, or is a rare thing and my Explorer will be worth millions one day? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I haven't checked my 2017. I usually just use voice commands to change stations and normally only listen to Willie's Roadhouse.:D
I don't believe that anyone else has posted about that issue. Sounds like someone messed up in the wiring connection department.

Peter

Messing with it briefly last night, I found what appeared to be 4 screws holding the trim piece on. Removing the 4 screws caused the trim to be looser, but it didn't want to come off. I didn't force it though so maybe I just didn't pull hard enough. I was worried that there were other screws that I couldn't see. I am wondering if the airbag needs to be removed. If so, how is that removed?

On my BMW, there are spring clips that need to be depressed from each side of the steering wheel. These are accessed through holes in the back of the steering wheel. Is that how this one is removed?

To remove the radio buttons, do I just need to remove the 4 screws holding the surrounding trim piece and pull harder?

Messing with it briefly last night, I found what appeared to be 4 screws holding the trim piece on. Removing the 4 screws caused the trim to be looser, but it didn't want to come off. I didn't force it though so maybe I just didn't pull hard enough. I was worried that there were other screws that I couldn't see. I am wondering if the airbag needs to be removed. If so, how is that removed?

On my BMW, there are spring clips that need to be depressed from each side of the steering wheel. These are accessed through holes in the back of the steering wheel. Is that how this one is removed?

To remove the radio buttons, do I just need to remove the 4 screws holding the surrounding trim piece and pull harder?
Is the vehicle still under the factory warranty mileage wise (under 36k)? If not did you get any kind of warranty from the dealer? I would take it back to them before trying to do anything with it yourself. If it was a manufacturing defect then I would think it should be corrected at no expense to you regardless if it under a warranty or not.
If you want to get the 'Build Date", you can use this site; https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do

Peter

Is the vehicle still under the factory warranty mileage wise (under 36k)? If not did you get any kind of warranty from the dealer? I would take it back to them before trying to do anything with it yourself. If it was a manufacturing defect then I would think it should be corrected at no expense to you regardless if it under a warranty or not.
If you want to get the 'Build Date", you can use this site; https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do

Peter

No, I have 44k miles so out of warranty. Build date is 6/19/2015. In speaking with Ford, this is mid-build so not right at the beginning. My original thought was that our explorer was an early build and a few left the factory like this. Doesn't seem to be the case, but there has to be an explanation. I will probably end up taking the vehicle to the dealer and see what they can find out.

I know this was quite a while ago. Did you figure out how to change out the steering wheel control? I was looking to change out my control for the volume on the steering wheel but as stated, after removal of the 4 screws it appears more screws require removal. Was trying to avoid removing the steering wheel al together. I removed the airbag but it was unclear as to how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated!

Never did figure it out.
We ended up trading our 2016 limited for a 2018 Sport with all the bells and whistles. All is good now.

Back