2017 Aftermarket Keyless Fob Programming | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Aftermarket Keyless Fob Programming

kevin249

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Base
I have a work issued 2017 Explorer that is a base model V6 with only basic features. It does not have the push button keyless start, and has a 3 button flip-key keyfob/key combo (lock/unlock/horn). On my last Ford I had a keyless entry keypad, but this Explorer did not come equipped with it. I recently ordered the aftermarket stick-on keyless entry keypad through a Ford dealer on the internet. I want to program this now, but I am unable to get the car into the keyfob programming mode using the 8-times on / off procedure that Ford's have used for a long time. I've tried it with the doors open, doors closed, and a few other tweaks, but no matter how I do it, the car doesn't go into the proper mode. I've looked on the internet and this forum, but haven't been able to figure out how to get the car into the proper mode. Any one have some info, or know if there is a new procedure, or if I just need to go to the dealer?

Welcome to the Forum Kevin.:wave:
After reading your post it seems to me that the title is a little misleading. Unless I'm misunderstanding this, it doesn't appear that you are attempting to program a key fob but the aftermarket keyless entry pad. Is that right? I don't recall any one here trying to do that.

Peter

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply. The aftermarket keyless entry pad is basically a key fob mounted to the outside of the car. According to what I've found online, It gets linked to the car the same way as normal keyfob, which as far as I can tell has always been by using the 8 times on / off procedure with the ignition key. So I'm just curious if anyone knows if that protocol was eliminated on the 2017 models?

On the Explorer the 8 times method was ended with 16 model year. 16 and up requires the dealer to program it.

Back