2017 Explorer Sport Arrived - Ambient Light and Sync 3 Questions Pls.>>> | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Sport Arrived - Ambient Light and Sync 3 Questions Pls.>>>

SilverStallion

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Good evening everyone. I picked up my 2017 Explorer Sport in Magnetic this afternoon and I love the vehicle. Very pleased with all aspects; I am baffled that unlike the F150s, the new Explorers do not offer full LED lighting. Luckily I removed the reverse and tag lights from my 2014 before trading as they will be going in the new machine. Pics will follow early this week after a few coats of Zaino. Dealership lets me remove all plastic and do the clean up myself as they know I am beyond particular.

I have two questions as I have notable differences from my 2014.
  1. Regarding the ambient lighting - the Blue colour is not Ford Blue like on my 2014. It actually appears more of a purple shade. Does anyone else have a 2016 or 2017 that they can shoot a picture of the Blue (not Ice Blue or Light Blue) to let me see if it is my settings or if in fact they have changed the blue in the LED shade.
  2. With the Sync 3, can you still upload an MFT picture for the background? I have been looking but can't see where you can.
Thanks in advance everyone. Booked my appointment today for my dealership to install my H&R lowering springs and I can't wait to get my Flowmaster Outlaw mufflers installed to give this machine a little bark.

Darren

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations, now you can update your profile.;)
You realize that adding the H&R springs will void your power train warranty, right?

Peter

Thanks Peter - sig. is updated. :)

My Service Manager actually helped me with the part number of the H&R units and I verified that as long as they install them, no impact on warranty. They all drive modified vehicles so it is a mod friendly dealer. I am lucky in that way.

Eager for responses to the ambient light question - this is driving me crazy as I hate the blue that is showing and love the old blue in my 2014...Ford Blue! :)

Kind regards.

Darren

Thanks Peter - sig. is updated. :)

My Service Manager actually helped me with the part number of the H&R units and I verified that as long as they install them, no impact on warranty. They all drive modified vehicles so it is a mod friendly dealer. I am lucky in that way.

Eager for responses to the ambient light question - this is driving me crazy as I hate the blue that is showing and love the old blue in my 2014...Ford Blue! :)

Kind regards.

Darren
They may be 'mod friendly' but it is Ford that must approve the warranty work and the Warranty Guide specifically mentions 'lift kits' among other items as voiding warranty. Your dealer will have to do some fancy footwork if it comes to that.;)
Curious about the ambient lighting as well. Is the ice blue available in the colour selection? Just wondering if perhaps they did away with the 'default' colour.

Just checked and the colour options are:
  • Ice Blue
  • Soft Blue
  • Blue
...however, the Blue is actually more of a purple and the purple is more a lavender/mauve if that makes sense. The bold Ford Blue, while the Blue appears that way on the screen, is actually now a purple blue - more purple. I was just curious if anyone else had noticed this change.

Yes, I am a details guy but this Blue is not an option for me...yuck - going to be red if there is not a way to get the true Ford Blue back. ;)

Point taken on the warranty piece however I trust these guys and they have stood behind me before as needed, even when a Vortech Supercharger was involved on a Mustang. That whistle was just a tight fan belt...nothing to see here. :)

Thanks again.

Darren

Thanks for the reply Darren. Ice blue was always the default. I wonder if you select it if you still get the current 'blue' as the default?
What colour is displayed when you open the doors?

I picked the the same car in Smoked Quartz on Monday. Loving it. I'm also a little underwhelmed on the ambient light. Very difficult to see in the day. Ambient lighting outside of the cup holder is pretty anemic even at night. But yeah, the light blue is the darkest blue available and "blue" is actually a light purple, which is weird.

Also nervous about the weak backing on the fold down seats. Very fragile, so be careful with that. Engine, aesthetics, and people/cargo carrying skills is what the car is all about!

I have mine set to light blue for what it's worth. Ice blue matches the door sills, but it doesn't matter when you are driving :)

I picked the the same car in Smoked Quartz on Monday. Loving it. I'm also a little underwhelmed on the ambient light. Very difficult to see in the day. Ambient lighting outside of the cup holder is pretty anemic even at night. But yeah, the light blue is the darkest blue available and "blue" is actually a light purple, which is weird.

Also nervous about the weak backing on the fold down seats. Very fragile, so be careful with that. Engine, aesthetics, and people/cargo carrying skills is what the car is all about!

I have mine set to light blue for what it's worth. Ice blue matches the door sills, but it doesn't matter when you are driving :)
I believe the ambient lighting is meant more for night driving. Have tried turning up the intensity?

Peter

Yep, it's maxed out. Still anemic (except the cup holder area).

Blue is definitely more purple. Soft blue is as close to true blue as you can get. Ice blue matches the dash lights and lighted sills. I've landed on Soft Blue and noticed the front doors will turn red when you open them at night.

Blue is definitely more purple. Soft blue is as close to true blue as you can get. Ice blue matches the dash lights and lighted sills. I've landed on Soft Blue and noticed the front doors will turn red when you open them at night.
In previous model years the 'default' colour was ice blue. What that meant was that regardless of the colour you have chosen for the interior, when the doors were opened the ice blue colour was displayed. Once the door was closed, the selected colour would once again be displayed. In Lincoln the default is white and my colour of choice is ice blue.

In previous model years the 'default' colour was ice blue. What that meant was that regardless of the colour you have chosen for the interior, when the doors were opened the ice blue colour was displayed. Once the door was closed, the selected colour would once again be displayed. In Lincoln the default is white and my colour of choice is ice blue.
On my 2017, when you open the doors, the selected color remains, except the opened door handle and map pocket lights turn red. All ambient lighting returns to ice blue when you turn off ignition.

No "MFT" backgrounds in SYNC 3.

Thank you Lewisra...not what I wanted to hear but I appreciate having my question confirmed.

Darren

I've always gone with the ice blue as it compliments all of the other backlit buttons in the car, but knowing about this problem would annoy the hell out of me for no good reason.

I've always gone with the ice blue as it compliments all of the other backlit buttons in the car, but knowing about this problem would annoy the hell out of me for no good reason.
Does your door lights also turn RED when you open the door as jdmac27 mentioned?

Peter

Does your door lights also turn RED when you open the door as jdmac27 mentioned?

Peter

Mine does not, but that is a nice safety feature when opening a door into possible traffic.

Mine does not, but that is a nice safety feature when opening a door into possible traffic.
So far as I can determine from these posts, it appears that there is no longer a 'Default' colour. In previous model years it was 'ice blue'. Everytime you opened the doors that colour would come on. It would then go to the driver's selected colour upon start up.

Back