• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Sport picked up!

kmarnes

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Just got mine yesterday in Vancouver BC.

It seems I got lucky. I test drove in July, waffled about whether I wanted or not because I was still cross shopping and didn't pull the trigger because the interest rates in Ford Canada were 3.99%, even though the price was right. It came down between the Explorer and the Audi Q7. I ruled out each and every other 7 seater. Few notes:
  • Q7: Would have bought this if I could have afforded it. But out the door price after taxes was $90k CAD. The loaded Explorer Sport was just under $60k CAD after fees and taxes (before extended warranty).
  • XC90: Beautiful car, amazing seats, horrible UX (touch screen for everything, lack of key driver controls), underpowered 4-banger engine with whining engine note, poor seat management, major reliability issues.
  • Durango: Priced more expensive than Explorer with superior transmission, but don't think it was as nice. Worst possible reliability and depreciation, and ugly, dated exterior.
  • CX9: Underpowered but cheap for mid level trims. Lower trims of CX9 compare favorably to lower trims of Explorer, but once you get to Sport/Platinum levels, the CX9 twitches with sadness on the side of the road. Different directions, CX9 favors fuel economy, while the Explorer favors performance.
  • Traverse: Took one look at exterior and moved on.
  • Pilot: Weirdly underwhelming and not a fun driving experience, terrible touch screen. Honda pooched the redesign and hopefully can fix it soon.
  • Jeep: Oh wait, they don't make 7 seaters any more. I used to own a 5.7 Hemi Jeep Commander. That thing was awesome, but 9MPG in the real world.
  • Yukon: Too expensive and dated.
Fast forward a month and I discovered the finance rates dropped to 1.99% (4 years), and pulled the trigger. I signed the deal on Friday and managed to apparently luck out by picking one that was available in my desired color and picked it up yesterday (after only 3 days). It's kind of like I miraculously jumped the queue or something.

I negotiated a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty for under $3000, which is transferable if I sell. If I total the car or trade it in, it'll be transferable to the new car. I opted out of the overpriced scheduled maintenance. It's literally double the price of AudiCare, which I find confusing. Although Ford does cover brakes... but brakes aren't that expensive to justify that difference.

Picked it up last night and finally got to spend some time with it. It is truly a nice car! For those that are thinking colors, I completely discarded the thought of Smoked Quartz. On the website configurator, it has this weird blue tinge to it, but in real life, it looks amazing. Super dark, almost black metallic paint. In certain light, you can see a little blue. But side by side against Magnetic Gray which was the color I originally wanted, it didn't look nearly as nice. So maybe someone else will see what I mean. I kind of wonder if that's how I ended up with it, because the color is possibly underated? :)

Also I deeply compared platinum vs sport, but ultimately chose sport:
  • +No wood grain! This was very important to me. Red accent stitching and aluminum/carbon inlays is to my tastes.
  • -Blacked out exterior. I preferred the chrome on platinum, but blackened look is growing on me.
  • +It's weird, people are moving out of my way now when I drive.... not sure why.
  • -Don't get the 500W stereo, but the 380W is good enough for me. In Canada the upgraded stereo isn't an option in the Sport.
  • -Don't get lane assist. Don't get park assist. But I don't care about those features, and seeing I've never had them before, I will never miss them. Besides, now I have an awesome backup camera!
  • -Don't get massaging seats
  • -Digital dash is different. Sport has big center physical dial with left and right digital screens. It works fine, and is well organized, it's just different. That's kind of why I wanted Platinum at first.
  • +Got under the luxury tax limit in BC with Sport. Platinum would have taken me over the threshhold and it would have added another $2k in taxes to the price. That won't apply to most other folks.

Onto the pics:

-img_0859_a0696f2991d3a590beb9e3a70f9c7c38add22f31.jpg

-img_0855_2c79bc0a7632f0aaa82aeb5b8c265448ee5742a6.jpg
-img_0852_2f26fa1abdcbb1dc37af2c1e5add75419bab0dfa.jpg
-img_0848_276100a013bd9fc91d8892c6c2ee486adca76ca7.jpg
-img_0847_05d080e4812abadf20bdcb5b91ec642455246f9e.jpg
-img_0846_f012de0d2956041522e42f3d9a146f89e83e69c5.jpg
-img_0844_76367614e43b53f2a86b568311eddea6670ff584.jpg
-img_0841_3d1fa1b123b072820fabe67caa746050217e14f9.jpg
-img_0840_e6ab1d45ecc5ea5a3adcb2d6d63a043c88dce7b4.jpg
-img_0839_035f99ef738b21c876a717ff03acb4fa7ade38d8.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice truck great picks !!!

Congratulation on the new addition to the 'family'. I went out to my dealship this morning to have a look at an Escape in White Gold. That is the colour I'm leaning toward after having a Platinum Tri-coat White Explorer and the current Crystal Champagne MKT. I prefer the lighter colours since I've found they remain cleaner looking longer, especially in Winter. Happy motoring.:)

Peter

There is one UX issue that is bugging me, and I can't figure out if this is possible or not.

Is there a steering wheel button that allows me to skip to the prev/next song or tune the next station, like if I'm flipping through Sirius channels? I'm sure there's probably a voice command for that, but that certainly wouldn't be as fast as pressing a button.

There is one UX issue that is bugging me, and I can't figure out if this is possible or not.

Is there a steering wheel button that allows me to skip to the prev/next song or tune the next station, like if I'm flipping through Sirius channels? I'm sure there's probably a voice command for that, but that certainly wouldn't be as fast as pressing a button.
I believe the Manual goes into details about using the radio etc but I've read them for a while since I usually listen to just one main station and have presets set for the rest or use voice commands.
"UX" ??

Peter

UX stands for User eXperience, short hand for good user interface design.

Of all the car brands I've test driven, Audi's new Virtual ****pit is the best in the business (redesigned Q7, A4, TT). They are aggressively adding it in all their new models. Volvo's XC90 was the worst because they put everything in their touch screen panel and got rid of most of the critical buttons like stereo controls, AC/heated seat controls, etc. They have some buttons on the steering wheel, but it's difficult to do anything else while driving. Ford with Sync 3 is somewhere in the middle.

Congrats. You'll love it. Picked up a 2016 a few weeks ago.

9B441119-595E-4124-BD13-27F4EC37E23A_zpsarlvtlf1.jpg

Yes, on the right side of the steering wheel, there are two ways to advanced to the next "preset" station or song:
1. Use the left most rocker switch to forward or reverse. The icons are the >> or << along with the phone answer and hang up. When in radio or sirius, a quick press and release will take you to the next/previous preset. If you press and hold, it will seek up/down for next station, or up down one sirius channel.
2. When viewing the current station in the Entertainment view in the instrument cluster, use the up/down on the D-pad to seek up/down preset stations.

See page 411 of the owners manual for more detail. Hope that helps...

UX stands for User eXperience, short hand for good user interface design.
Now see that was easy. There is no charge for the amount of letters you use here.:D This way everyone will understand.

Peter

Small update. I've owned the car for exactly 3 weeks now, but I've only driven it for about half that time. We just got back from a 10 day vacation, so it sat during that time collecting autumn droppings (sticky sappy seeds or something). That was real fun to clean off last night.

I have not experienced any issues so far, except an occasional "loud metal snap" sound when the tailgate lifts up, near the top, preceded a little bit of metal creaking. Seems like something isn't quite right, and it could be a temperature related issue. Does not repeat after first opening. Not concerning enough for me to bring it in, but I'll have it looked at whenever I bring in the car.

The chair backings are very fragile, so I've been careful with it, but installing a car seat and connecting the latch system was a bit weird, because the latch is on the bottom corner of the seat, rather than the center of the seat. But tightening it caused a small amount of buckling on the top of the seat backing. Bad design. Also not liking the off centered latch. In case of accident, I would foresee the chair twisting... but I'm no physicist.

Also I've got a dash-cam wired up, connected to the wiring assembly inside the driver's side A-pillar. However the accessory power connection didn't take (my fault). Until I have time to go digging around to re-wire it properly, I've just been plugging it in the cigarette lighter. The good news is that even if I forget to leave it plugged in, the car does indeed have a safety mechanism which will disable the charging ports automatically. Someone said it does it after 2 hours, but I couldn't find anything in the owners manual about it. Whatever the case, it works and now I no longer worry that my car battery will die.

Car is great, and performs excellently. Shifting is still a little clunkier than I would like compared to Audis and their fantastic ZF-8s, but I've gotten used to it (especially with an extra $30k in my pocket by not buying one) and the engine growling sound is excellent. Yesterday a Mercedes GLE 350 tried to right lane pass me at a red light (famous d-bag technique), and I ensured he failed, and I wasn't even in sport mode. And that's what this is all about in the end... ;) If I did actually want to drag race someone at a red light, sport mode makes an impressive difference. I've done that a couple times, but once I get to a rapid street pace of 60km/h, I put it back to drive. Totally destroyed a couple Car2Go's that way. In Vancouver, those cars are everywhere and because they charge per minute, people tend to drive like bandits in those.

Are you sure about the 17 MY Sport not having the Premium Sony Stereo System?

The current Ford Canada website says it's in the Sport

The 2017 Ordering Guide says this..............

FUNCTIONAL

New

— Premium 500-Watt Sound from Sony® with Clear Phase®

and Live Acoustics™ is included in Sport 401A

— SYNC® 3 replaces SYNC® with MyFord Touch®. It is

included in XLT 201A and 202A; standard on Limited, Sport

and Platinum.

— Voice-Activated Touchscreen Navigation System is standard

on Sport

I don't know how I would check. You are right, it says it in the feature list -- when you look at it under radio as included as standard equipment. But there is no 401A group on the Canada Sport. There is a 400A which only says the plain 12 speaker version. When you compare models or view standard equipment, it doesn't list the Sport having it. I think it might just be a website mistake. But I do know it's configurable in the US in the 401A package.

I don't know how I would check. You are right, it says it in the feature list -- when you look at it under radio as included as standard equipment. But there is no 401A group on the Canada Sport. There is a 400A which only says the plain 12 speaker version. When you compare models or view standard equipment, it doesn't list the Sport having it. I think it might just be a website mistake. But I do know it's configurable in the US in the 401A package.
Have you checked fordetis.com to see what the list shows?

Peter

That website doesn't make any sense (no Explorer options).

That website doesn't make any sense (no Explorer options).
It lists every item that is on your Explorer including the options that are on it. I just checked my previous 2011 that had the Sony sound system and see that it doesn't list the radio itself. Here is what mine did show that perhaps may be the Sony system. Maybe it is the Audio Option Pack 3 and Level 3 Sound System that defines the Sony system.
  • With Region 1 Electronic Equipment
  • AM/FM CD/Clock
  • With Satellite Radio Reception
  • Group 1 Radio Frequency
  • Audio Option Pack 3
  • Analogue Audio Broadcast
  • Satellite Antenna (SDARS)
  • With Level 3 Sound System

When I click on that link (even though I'm in Canada) and have tried it from home and at work, it seems to only show me a list of European brands only like the Etis, Mondeo, Kuga, etc..

Okay cool. https://www.etis.ford.com/ is working. The first link you posted this morning was fordetis.com which takes me to an apparently parked site. I'll check it out later when I have my VIN handy. I had problems entering in my VIN on other sites because it's so new, so we'll see how this one does.

Okay cool. https://www.etis.ford.com/ is working. The first link you posted this morning was fordetis.com which takes me to an apparently parked site. I'll check it out later when I have my VIN handy. I had problems entering in my VIN on other sites because it's so new, so we'll see how this one does.
Sorry, my mistake. I shouldn't have added the ".com" part.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, pretty cool site. I punched in my VIN and it told me everything about my car except the exact stereo it has... :)

• With Region 1 Electronic Equipment
  • With Satellite Radio Reception
  • Group 1 Radio Frequency
  • Less Rear Seat Entertainment
  • Audio Option Pack 3
  • HD Radio Broadcast
  • Fixed Radio Antenna-Black
  • High Level With CD/MP3/AM/FM Radio
  • ICE Noise Reduction Module
  • Audiophille Speaker/AMP
  • Less Speaker Wiring - 2 Way Radio
  • Less Radio Suppression
  • Microphone
  • Sync III
Nothing specifying whether I have the 380W or 500W version.

Back