2017 XLT 2.3 transmission failure | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 XLT 2.3 transmission failure

Every single case that I've seen online through the multiple forums I either mod or belong to, not 1 has ever hired lawyer and every one of them has won. Even on here, many when it came to MFT in the early years went through arbitration, showed the arbitrator either live issues or video evidence of the issues and the owner has always won.

There is no need to pay an attorney when you have proper documentation supporting the issues and you are positive you've met the mileage/term/repair attempts etc. I'd never pay for an attorney for a lemon law claim.. they are black and white.

Naive, that I am not.
My experiences have differed and I know of others as well. If it was just black and white, there would be no need for lemon law attorneys. I have never paid for an attorney for lemon law cases in MI. Part of the provision in MI law is that the defendant has to pay/reimburse legal fees. Maybe that is different in other states, but I'll take an attorney every time in that scenario. Less hassle and I have an expert on my side. Not to mention they meet with the other side and I get to go to work and go about my daily life with little to no inconvenience.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My experiences have differed and I know of others as well. If it was just black and white, there would be no need for lemon law attorneys. I have never paid for an attorney for lemon law cases in MI. Part of the provision in MI law is that the defendant has to pay/reimburse legal fees. Maybe that is different in other states, but I'll take an attorney every time in that scenario. Less hassle and I have an expert on my side. Not to mention they meet with the other side and I get to go to work and go about my daily life with little to no inconvenience.

Completely agree if Ford has to pay your attorneys fees.

Yay, submitted my lemon law case with the Texas DMV, now to wait 10 days to see if I qualify. The dealer did call me that a new drivetrain was authorized by Ford and will be here in about 5 days. Lets see what happens..

Update. Service advisor called me yesterday that the new transmission was installed and the shop foreman had been driving my explorer for a good amount of miles, about 250 miles and had zero issues. I was pretty excited to get it picked up so I can finally go see family in Houston for new years that we had been postponing due to the truck being in the shop.
picked it up by 6:30- called the dealer back at 6:40 while I was heading to work on an emergency to tell them truck had zero power, exhaust was resonating loud inside the truck, turbo was pretty audible. Truck had zero balls, felt like driving with a 1.3l engine.No passing power at all. I called service before I got there and spoke to the service asst manager and told him my ongoing issues and for him to document and drive the truck. We drove and immediately he said it wasn't right. ROUND 3.....

Sorry been pretty busy at work. I picked up my Explorer January 2. They found a boost pipe popped off or wasn't connected. My wife has been driving it and so far has noted it makes a rubbing noise in the cab when she turns the steering wheel, something loose in the engine compartment like a heatshield or similar noise Ive driven it and has slippage or delay when going from park to drive then going into reverse. In this time I did open a case with Texas DMV for a lemon law but also opened a case with BBB autoline. With BBB I sent a letter to Ford demanding an engineer look at the vehicle to insect and find issues and I also demand a replacement vehicle. My inspection appointment was this morning, I show up to dealer and asked for the service manager as instructed. I told the SM that I was dropping off my vehicle and ford was given a list on concerns so engineer can check out. He replied how I could do that If I have never been to that dealer. I finally lost my patience and turned into the biggest prick and didnt hold back. I finally had a few people to pay extra attention to me. They did put me in a brand new rental 2017 Explorer limited fully loaded, black on black leather, sunroof and moonroof. Thing is awesome. I told them to keep my truck and thats my replacement (wont happen).
Lastly I recieved a call from the service adviser which has been awesome and notified me that the engineer was able to confirm the slippage/ delay on transmission and noises. I had also complained about the hatch not aligned and gouging into my bumper. Lets see hat happens....

Good luck... I had the same situation with a Cadillac. Hope it goes well... this whole story is insane... How do you still have this car.

Thanks for the update.... keep us posted as you're able. The Engineer should have been out literally months ago.

I have had 6 Explorers starting in 2004 - my present 2016 model, with the 2.3 Ecoboost. 3 of them, 2006, 2008 and 2010, had to have transmissions replaced. I thought in this generation the transmissions have been much better. The 2014 and 2016 have been pretty smooth and reliably shifting. Hopefully yours is just the odd ball bad trans and it's not a sign of problems with transmissions going forward.

......... He replied how I could do that If I have never been to that dealer. I finally lost my patience and turned into the biggest prick and didnt hold back. I finally had a few people to pay extra attention to me. ....
If this was your first visit to this dealer I can understand his position. You have made a complaint about issues and an engineer is on his way to his dealership to check out your Explorer, a vehicle that his dealership hasn't had a chance to look at. This could reflect negatively on his dealership. Again, if this dealership was not involved in any previous work on the vehicle I think your outburst was misdirected and really not justified. However, if they were involved, then that changes the situation.

Peter

THanks for your reply Peter, but I did purchase my explorer from there and have been there for oil changes. When I started having issues I took it back there and there is where my truck has been multiple times. So mistake on their part and they admitted. Manager blamed the dealers CSR that she didn't tell him correct info yet Ford told me he was direct contact on email and showed he assigned it to someone. Ford did say they would note it.

If this was your first visit to this dealer I can understand his position. You have made a complaint about issues and an engineer is on his way to his dealership to check out your Explorer, a vehicle that his dealership hasn't had a chance to look at. This could reflect negatively on his dealership. Again, if this dealership was not involved in any previous work on the vehicle I think your outburst was misdirected and really not justified. However, if they were involved, then that changes the situation.

Peter

Update, BBB contacted me today and Ford decided to repurchase my Explorer. I'll have to pay a usage fee. I'm hoping my dealer will work with me to get into another Explorer. Texas DMV did contact me and said it is a Lemon and will also demand repurchase or replacement. I would get any fees, down payment, extended warranty and rental refunded. If a replacemental a free extended warranty will be part of it. I'm going with TX DMV, with BBB it's not a lemon law case just a repurchase.

Update, BBB contacted me today and Ford decided to repurchase my Explorer. I'll have to pay a usage fee. I'm hoping my dealer will work with me to get into another Explorer. Texas DMV did contact me and said it is a Lemon and will also demand repurchase or replacement. I would get any fees, down payment, extended warranty and rental refunded. If a replacemental a free extended warranty will be part of it. I'm going with TX DMV, with BBB it's not a lemon law case just a repurchase.
Glad it looks like it is working out for you.

To each his own, but I would never get back into the same vehicle, or any vehicle from the same manufacturer, after a buyback.

Glad it looks like it is working out for you.

To each his own, but I would never get back into the same vehicle, or any vehicle from the same manufacturer, after a buyback.

I would, especially if it was a rare occurrence issue. Statistics would show that the next car he buys (if same dealer) would be astronomically good that he doesn't get another lemon. Go to another brand you reset the probability.

You got a bag of 10 cars and one is bad. You pick one and turns out you got the bad one. So if you choose from the same bag you are guaranteed a good car.

If you choose from a new bag then you got a 10% chance of getting another bad car.

Numbers aren't correct but I hope you get my point.

I would, especially if it was a rare occurrence issue. Statistics would show that the next car he buys (if same dealer) would be astronomically good that he doesn't get another lemon. Go to another brand you reset the probability.

You got a bag of 10 cars and one is bad. You pick one and turns out you got the bad one. So if you choose from the same bag you are guaranteed a good car.

If you choose from a new bag then you got a 10% chance of getting another bad car.

I always loved statistics.

How long will it take for you to get your new Explorer?

My bigger concern would be having to deal with the same dealers and service personnel that probably weren't all that competent to begin with. True lemons are few and far between. This is a lemon mainly because it wasn't repaired properly in a timely manner. If op buys another explorer and the same people work on it, who knows what may happen? You put your money down and take your chances - there are few guarantees in life other than death and taxes....

I'm not a statistician, but I'm not sure your statistical analysis is quite correct. If you assume a 1 in 10 chance of getting a lemon and you pick a lemon from a 10 car sample, that does not guarantee that there are no lemons in the remaining 9 cars. Statistics and Probability | Khan Academy is a great source to learn about a range of topics and brush up on stuff from college, high school, or even grade school...

At anytime did the dealer think about putting in a NEW complete transmission instead of trying to fix the old one. With 9,000 miles you were more then in titled to a new trans.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At anytime did the dealer think about putting in a NEW complete transmission instead of trying to fix the old one. With 9,000 miles you were more then in titled to a new trans.

Putting personal feelings/opinions aside, the warranty does not entitle anyone to a "new" anything. Manufacturers will not usually approve an entire replacement of anything major unless it has grenades itself. It's all about what is more cost productive for the manufacturer. IF it is cheaper to rebuild by X% over new, they will rebuild.

Now after a failed repair and MAYBE a 2nd failed repair, then yes I'd be going with a new trans. However, I'd much rather have a lemon law processed then 3, 4 or 5 attempts at disassembling the same trans and rebuilding it over an over.

Back