Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2020 Explorer or Aviator?

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by blwnsmoke, April 5, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I read an article on the Lincoln forum this morning that indicated that the Continental may be discontinued. Lincoln Continental Cancelled?

Peter

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

City, State:
      Memphis tn
      it's not RWD or AWD I think that was the bigger failing of the continental. I mean I looked into one - liked most of the idea.

But it's a FWD taurus again, yes you can get it in FWD heavy - AWD. but it's not a Caddy CTS or CT6, It's not a german, or even the Infinity Q - all of which have better driving dynamics - and equal pricing. For the person wanting a luxury sedan - that isn't 70 - it's a non starter.

Conversely for an economical luxury car - the MKZ is an awesome choice - note it sells pretty well.

4. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      My next choice would be the 2020 Ex or Nautilus (MKX).

5. Flying68

Flying68 Active Member

City, State:
      Wichita, KS
      12 Explorer Limited AWD
      When the time comes, I will probably trade in for an Aviator. Hopefully it hits the market before I turn 160,000 on the Ex (already at ~123k mi). Mostly would go for the Aviator because I like the Lincoln dealer a whole lot better than either Ford dealer and I am still impressed by our '17 MkC. Looking forward to see the Bronco and new small off-road suv as well. But really just need a 4WD 7 passenger people carrier, I don't need trail capability.

As far as the cars go, I can see ford moving the NASCAR body to the Mustang, keeping the Focus (hot hatch market), killing the Fiesta and Fusion, and limiting the Taurus to the Police Interceptor version. The Continental should be moved to a RWD / AWD platform and be marketed to the fleet / black car service markets again.

6. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Grain of salt... Ford's announcement confirmed CD6. Aviator is being shown at NYIAS on March 28th. Looking forward to seeing it. Will give us a better idea of the 2020 Explorer.

7. 1995E

1995E Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Maryland
      95 + 11 Ex both XLT
      That would make sense because the Continental is literally all compromise and no bite. The Cadillac CT6 is just a better deal. Hopefully the CD6 platform helps improve the brand.

8. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

City, State:
      Memphis tn
      I don't really see the death of the fusion. I think it sells too much globaly and it's tied to the EDGE platform. So it makes sense for both of those to live on the next round.

Taurus if it was to continue -and I sort of wish it would - needs to be re-imagined as the new performance RWD sedan chassis off the current mustang. Such that you have have the mustang - and longer Wheel base - 4 door something (like say a falcon, give it a new name) - then have the lincoln versions of each.

Reason I would cross shop the lincoln model of new explorer - one, for the dollars the current base lincoln's give me the feature set and comfort set I want at a cheaper price than the other tier ford model. and I know they are the same basic devices - the packaging is better. All the lincolns tend to look better than their counterparts - and the dealers are hopefully vetted a bit more. The fact that there isn't one near me speaks volumes. Though I will say the one ford service department as treated me well so far.

9. blwnsmoke

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
    10. NEWPORTNJ

NEWPORTNJ Active Member

City, State:
      NORTH BERGEN NJ
      2017 FORD EX PLATINUM
      blwnsmoke- The 2020 must have a BIGGER transformation or people will start going where, beside Ford won't show the body yet, they will be test new instruments etc.... on the same body and closer to the 2019 Auto show is when they will start showing the new body and lights style. I'm really thinking to go to the Lincoln side or Rover, like the Velar....which is coming out with a sport virgin. I just hope that the 2020 Explorer gets a AWESOME make over !!!!

11. blwnsmoke

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      From a member over on the Ford forums that is in the know..

"It's a taught, more svelte version of the current model, without all the packaging limitations of the D3 platform.

They did very well with this one. "

12. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      The antenna on that camouflaged one is back to the old shark fin style.

Peter

13. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

City, State:
      Memphis tn
      The pics on lincoln's site of the "aviator" I'm guessing are the first prototype shots. Curious has to how much bigger it really is over the current explorer. ALso anyone know if there's any truth to the rumor that this is going to be the next AL body platform?

14. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I would think that the one on the Lincoln site would be the vehicle that will be the final model. In fact, it looks very similar, if not identical, to the pictures in the 2020 Aviator thread here. 2020 Aviator

Peter

15. blwnsmoke

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      It will not be aluminum.

16. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

City, State:
      Memphis tn
      based on what?

again rumors abound and the grains of truth are starting to settle in. But the big one that keeps popping up is the idea that new ranger platform is steel and other chassis, with AL body like the F150 platform, and new ranger platform will be new explorer platform. which like it's big brother expedition will be an aluminum body on steel chassis.

should prove interesting. Now another rumor is there will be a steel base unibody chassis with AL parts for the floor pan, roof, and all exterior pieces. again though - will be interesting to see which is true.

follow on showing a bigger explorer with RWD platform - lighter base curb weight - 10sp trans, V6 or I4 power and a hybrid driveline model.

Last edited: June 13, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    17. bnewt

bnewt Member

2017 LIMITED
      can't disagree about the management...........why would you drop 2 of the better selling line of cars like the fusion & tarus. just giving Toyota that entire class

18. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      According to many articles, Ford is dropping them because they are losing money on them. People are just not buying cars as much as they used to and are changing to Crossovers, SUVs and pickups. Here is just one of the articles on Ford's decision; Ford says cars lose money, so they're gone

Peter

19. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

City, State:
      Memphis tn
      They are only dropping the fusion in NA market - the mondeo will still sell in the EU and whatever their call the pan-asian model.

There will still be a fusion hybrid in the NA market - just not the 4 model variants you see now. Which is a shame sort of because the fusion sport was about close to the device I wanted to buy.

I think the lose money on sedans is a bit overselling it - but they potentially have issues meeting CAFE standard. See if they can't force everyone to buy into the hybrid drive _______ car and they sell a bunch of them - then the base model gas engine type has to increase a good bit in 2 years to keep from penalizing them. That penalty doesn't exist if the same buyers end up in a CUV/SUV device even if it's on the same chassis platform. SO there is some truth the the fact they would lose money on them - in the future. OR you take away all the options and only sell plug in hybrid models. which is close to what they are doing. I still say I'm amazed FCA isn't doing something very similar or even announced it first.

Toyota has a similar issue but they sell a metric tonne of prius based devices - which is their offset. Ford never did sell many Cmax energi's or the other things. Hell have you ever been in an electric focus? I'm not 100% sure they made them but for a week. But I can do to 2 different chevy dealers and drive out in a Volt or Bolt.

Their strategy makes a good bit of sense right up until gas hits 4 dollars a gallon again.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    20. 1995E

1995E Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Maryland
      95 + 11 Ex both XLT
      Ford loses money on cars because Ford does not make a decent car... They look good but reliability and quality is trash for their sedans.

21. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
    22. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

City, State:
      Memphis tn
      quietly looks over to a 2012 fusion owned by a coworker that has never once seen a shop, has 113K on the clock, and other than needing a good clean is in fantastic shape.

But meh. Everyone's mileage may vary. I will say I've heard the taurus reliability sucks specifically on the SHO family which made me worry a tick about the explorer but numbers do show a difference there. I wonder how much of that is also variance in number sold and fleet operation. I mean there's a exterminator company in my town that uses a fleet of explorers - not taurus's.

23. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

City, State:
      Memphis tn
      wait so there's a disagree button now. How have I been missing this?

24. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      It's been there as long as the others.:D

Peter