275/70/16 Tire ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

275/70/16 Tire ?

maddmaxx

Reaction score
I see the 265/75/16 is recommended with the RB lift.

Has anyone tried 275/70/16 ?

the 275/70 is a half inch shoter but a half inch wider then the 265/75.

Thanks!!

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll get a bit of rubbing at full lock in the inner plastic fender wall. That's it. I would recommend the 1/2" height over width personally.

I just put on a set of 275/70/16's. I lifted the front of my Ex 2 inches with RoadBully spacers. I'm running these tires on 2001 Ranger wheels. They have a -12 offset. With this set up, I've got no rubbing. I'm going to disagree with Comik in that the slightly wider tire looks good (different taste is all). I've been waiting for a decent day to take pictures. I'll try to get them on the post tomorrow.

I'd stay with 265's if you get snow where you are. Wider is worse in snow and my 265's slide around bad enough

I do not get a lot of snow where I live but I have driven on it recently and my 265s did fine.

I'm in San Diego, we hardly get rain let alone snow :D

So if I use my stock wheels I'll get a little rub with the 275/70 with -12 no rub. I can deal with a little rub because I like the wider look too.

GoatMan if you could get some pix up that would be Great!

Thanks,

Paul

Here is my Ex with the 275/70/16's.

Attachments

• 12-08 022.JPG
    12-08 022.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 6,505
  • 12-08 023.JPG
    12-08 023.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 2,534
  • 12-08 024.JPG
    12-08 024.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 2,305
  • 12-08 026.JPG
    12-08 026.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 4,296

Goatman,

Like the look of those recovery eyes in the front bumper, where do they attach to? Where do you get them from?

Big G

dont mean to hijack the thread....

how do you guys feel about 255/70/17's at stock ride height?

All pics are 265's, stock height, no spacers. Tires are mounted on 2001 Sport rims.

1/2" taller or 1/2" wider, its all good. Go with what you like.

HPIM1769.jpg

HPIM1794.jpg

HPIM1793.jpg

HPIM1781.jpg

Cozmik, how bad is the rubbing?

Hey Cozmik,

It looks like we had the same idea on wheels. Do your 2001 sport wheel have the same +12 offset as my Ranger wheels? Your tires sit at the edge of your wells very nicely. I like the tread on your tires. I went back and forth on tread design. I finally went with a quieter tread. We don't have the same potential for snow in Tennessee that you do in Canada.

Goatman,

Like the look of those recovery eyes in the front bumper, where do they attach to? Where do you get them from?

Big G

Hey Nomad, Those tow hooks came off a F-150. They mount right up to the frame. If you search for F-150 tow hooks, you should find plenty of pics and instruction.

Cozmik, how bad is the rubbing?

The rubbing isn't too bad at all, and it's only at full lock when you can't turn the wheel anymore. Unless off road, you don't turn the wheel that much in day to driving all that often. And I understand that with some strategically placed zip ties I can fix the rubbing. I just need to search for where exactly they go.

Hey Cozmik,

It looks like we had the same idea on wheels. Do your 2001 sport wheel have the same -12 offset as my Ranger wheels? Your tires sit at the edge of your wells very nicely. I like the tread on your tires. I went back and forth on tread design. I finally went with a quieter tread. We don't have the same potential for snow in Tennessee that you do in Canada.

I'm not sure about offset. I bought the wheels from Donner for my Sport to replace my leaking 3 spoke steelies. The day the tires were mounted is the day I quit driving the 98. I didn't measure anything ( I know I should have ). I was going to sell the wheels/tires with the Sport but I just couldn't bring my self to do it. So, they now reside on my 05. And I love them!! As for noise, definately not as quiet as stock, but these Dick Cepeks are quite a bit smoother riding and FAR quieter than the BFG M/T's I had on my old Jeep.

I have a 2005 with 265/75/16's and all I did was tie the plastic liner back with wire and the very little rubbing is gone.

^^ Bingo.

tirerack doesnt have 265/75/17's :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back