1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2nd Blower Motor Resistor burnt out...

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by scottswierenga, March 9, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. scottswierenga

scottswierenga Member

City, State:
      Omaha, Nebraska
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT 4dr.
      Just maybe 2-3 weeks after the replacement, the brand new resistor blew again and now I'm back to only Hi on the selector for air flow.

I'm guessing there may be more leaf bits in there, but this time there was no hint of smoke, or the smell. Where do I go from here? I plan on working on this again in a few days and wanted to know any tips or tricks you might know to remove ALL the debris in the box around the (heater core?), or anything else you could shed light on for me.

I tried vacuuming out all the crap but this did me no good since the hose end of the shop vac was too big, so I duct taped on the Crevis Tool from the Dirt Devil. The smaller tip helped "a little", but not enough to write home about, it was still too darn big to have much effectiveness. I need something small and very flexible, but I don't think I could get effective suction from the sturdy plastic "water bottle bendy straw" I found in the kitchen ;)

How would YOU get this done???

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jwv3

jwv3 Member

City, State:
      Delaware
      Year and Model:
      92 xlt
      I changed mine and also noticed the pack of leaves in the lower front corner just below the resistor pack. I just pulled as much out by hand as I could. I really wonder how the big leaf pieces got in there since the cowl openings are small holes???

Since I changed mine, I don't use the lowest setting. I figure that might help since the slowest fan speed means the resistor(s) are dissipating the most power.

4. scottswierenga

scottswierenga Member

City, State:
      Omaha, Nebraska
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT 4dr.
      I can understand not chancing a second "burn-out" by avoiding the use of the Low setting, but this Resistor should have lasted MUCH longer than it did.

Does anyone have any ideas of what else (other than leaves) might cause the second Resistor to have gone bad so quickly?

5. safn1949

safn1949 Active Member

City, State:
      Mankato, Minnesota
      Year and Model:
      M60A1 my first offroader
      Replace the blower motor,it's probably is drawing too many amps.:D

6. TedJ

TedJ Active Member

City, State:
      Fair Lawn, NJ
      Year and Model:
      '94 Sport
      It could be a funky motor. I would pull it and you can see more of the system inside and feel how the bearings are in it too. Also check the wiring connector for any kind of discoloration on the resistor pack. If it looks funky you could have a high resistance connection there which is heating up and doing all kinds of weird stuff.