2nd Gen. Heater Core WTF now??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen. Heater Core WTF now???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK
This and other things has led me to kind of ignore my truck for awhile, to be honest. This last weekend, I warmed the garage, gathered a bit of osage orange (hedge wood) for heat, and basically sat down and stared at my dismanteled mess.
Thanks to xzibita--I am on a roll again. I have the steering colum removed as a module, and the dash is propped up by a box on driver side, totally loose on passenger side--I can see the needed heater core cover bolts--now to loosen the box from under hood , so I can pull it back and access them.I just hope my intake manifold can stay on.
I was following the prcedure in the service manual, for some reason it led me thru removing airbag-steering wheel, then pulling column. This workaround is where I was confused.
There are 5 bolts,transmission indicateor screw, 7 harness plugs, all keyed, and the transmission linkage to disconnect. I made sure to tape the steering whell into position, so it wouldn't rotate and damage the clockspring.
I need to start taking pictures, I'll get more as I put it back together--
This is where I am now--

Attachments

• dash_out_002.jpg
    dash_out_002.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,290
  • dash_out_003.jpg
    dash_out_003.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,075
  • dash_out_004.jpg
    dash_out_004.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,274

Are you going to replace the blend door while its all apart?

I like your gauge pod, BTW.

Are you going to replace the blend door while its all apart?

I like your gauge pod, BTW.

Thanks--about the pod. It is for mustang--fits nicely (or at least it did before all this--). It requires a hole thru dash though---

About the blend door, well I don't have another one. It wasn't in the plan. I was hoping mine was the stronger type lol.
ok-quick, how can I check it?

One of the Blend door fixes talks about how the blend door always breaks in the same place. I think there is a picture to illustrate it. If I didn't replace it, I would at least see if I couldn't reinforce it somehow. JB Weld is a miracle material. :D

Hello--man, I am on the homestretch now.
I gotta take a lttle break--those under hood nuts threw me.
They were all double nutted underneath the blower housing---

Attachments

• first view hc.jpg
    first view hc.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,263

Hello--man, I am on the homestretch now.
I gotta take a lttle break--those under hood nuts threw me.
They were all double nutted underneath the blower housing---

Someone at Ford decided they were a little too easy to get off without the extra nuts. :p: Ha Ha, what a bunch of pranksters. :D

I had the pleasure of doing this on my 1987 VW Fox ... back in 1994 or so. A month later VW issued a recall for the problem, and would have replaced it for free. :mad: Sounds like the same job here. Steering wheel and dashboard had to come out. Took two of us about 8 hours to do it.

Now I'm wondering if this is where my coolant is going very slowly.

Well, my little helper is anxious to go ride bye bye.

Dash is back in--let's not mention the blend whatever it was---

Attachments

• dash in 001.jpg
    dash in 001.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,581
  • dash in 002.jpg
    dash in 002.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,429

hey jon, sorry i didnt get to call ya back, i had a really s****y day , but i just realized some thing, are you sure it wasnt the heater control valve, they are pretty common and i havent seen an explorer heatercore go yet, i would double check, but im glad you were able to figure it out

hey jon, sorry i didnt get to call ya back, i had a really s****y day , but i just realized some thing, are you sure it wasnt the heater control valve, they are pretty common and i havent seen an explorer heatercore go yet, i would double check, but im glad you were able to figure it out

Boy I hope not--I looked it over real well, hoses and all.
The leak was dripping from evaperator housing--I found no other wet spots.

Hope tomorrow is better for you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I still have a recurring problem--which was there before.
I have tried a new HVAC control, but didn't correct it.
It seems my vent functions don't want to switch. All the vaccuum lines are connected. If it is on vent when I start the truck, it will blow from vent, but when switched while running, it blows from defrost only. I am beginning to think it is either the diaphragm in the actuator, or lack of vacuum from my camshaft.
Although, if I rev engine and let off, vacuum goes way over 20--still no vent function switching--the door is all intact and tight.

My reservoir bottle is holding vaccum--mybe I just have a line or 2 crossed still???

I get a real good switch from heat to cold though---

Back