Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2nd gen issues? Try this first!

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Turdle, July 17, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 Mounty
      Sometimes a gremlin can be caused by the smallest thing.

There are 2 large wire bundle connectors on the firewall. Both are held tight with a 10mm bolt.
      Any bad connection in either plug can cause just about any issue. from bad transmission shifting, bad o2 sensor readings, no start, no power, etc.

Right above the HVAC blower motor is the PCM connector.
      001.JPG
      Above the intake manifold is a large square black connector. This is the main harness for everything electrical and transmission related from truck to main wire harness. Trans harness for short. It also has the 02 sensor wiring because they run down along the transmission.
      002.JPG

since this cost nothing, and can cause a lot of issues, the first thing in your troubleshooting should be to loosen these connectors, look them over for bent or pushed back pins, and then if all looks good, re-seat them and tighten the bolt.

If this does not help you, well, keep digging in the forum for an answer.
      If it does, please post in this thread so we can keep track.

Thanks, and good luck!

• Like Like x 4
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MAS Tequila

MAS Tequila Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Boca Raton FL
      2000 Mounty 4WD 5.0
      The Trans connector was the cause of my alternator issues.

And very likely the cause of the all the codes, O2 sensors, I was getting.

So 2 O2 sensors, 2 coil packs, 1 alternator, about 30 hours, and a lot of swearing could probably have been avoided.

I found mine was loose while tracing back the green/red wire.

After separating the connector, I sprayed both pieces with MAF cleaner, it was sitting right there, let it dry then put it together and snugged the bolt up.

The alternator issue went away immediately, and all residual rough running smoothed right out.

Live and learn, remember Occam's Razor!

• Like Like x 2
    4. Brownpsu78

Brownpsu78 Active Member

City, State:
      Connecticut
      2001 XLT
      What was your alternator issue?
      What codes was thebo2 sensor throwing?

5. inkjunkie

inkjunkie Member

City, State:
      West of Spokane Washington
      99 Explorer
      Could one of these connectors cause a b1352 code?

6. Collin Whitfield

Collin Whitfield New Member

City, State:
      Mesa, AZ
      1999 Ford Explorer EB
      I was getting codes for unresponsive O2 sensors and a misaligned camshaft.

Spent about $300 in repairs and check engine light was still on and couldn't pass emissions.

I was super confused after I replaced the O2 sensors because my OBDII reader was showing no change in the O2 sensor voltage when I revved the engine, even though the others changed.

Just unplugged both connectors and blew out with canned air and all is well now!

Thanks for the help!

7. tiberius

tiberius New Member

City, State:
      jersey
      96 explorer sport
      hey folks ..have a 96 explorer sport ..im getting a morse code type beeping that wont stop..starts right away after start up ..its not the 5 beep from a burned out airbag light ..ive had that ..this is like morse code ..very annoying..scanner shows no codes related to this..seems to come from gem module in dash..what is causing this? ive sprayed all the door locks ..wiggled the ignition tumbler..no check engine light ..but will show the slow 02 sensor code for both banks.

8. tiberius

tiberius New Member

City, State:
      jersey
      96 explorer sport
      after pulling my gem module i opened it up and found a blown out capacitor on the board ..must have quite literally Blown as it left a burn on both sides of the board and the positive side leg of that component is Gone...i do occasionally solder repair some of my cb radio gear but i will call my Tech guy to look at this ..too small a scale for me to feel comfortable with..hoping it didnt ruin the board when it blew..everything but my dome lights worked and if it didnt do the morse code beep i would have left it alone..i guess i could have him remove the buzzer from the board but i would lose all the warning chimes..sure hope he can fix it as i dont relish the idea of tracking down another one..they arent cheap ..a real cat in a bag situation..oh well ..wish me luck

9. rlb245

rlb245 New Member

City, State:
      Cody, Wyoming
      2001 Ford Explorer Sport
      This Might be a good place for me to start looking. I new I came to the right place