How to: - 2nd Gen NO AC ( or heat) FROM VENTS!!! A "How to" what to look for thread | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd Gen NO AC ( or heat) FROM VENTS!!! A "How to" what to look for thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
97 XLT just purchase in Australia, and it looks like the orb is well hidden in under the air-cleaner box, which looks a pita to remove in itself...

Not really that hard. People yank them out every time to add aftermarket air intakes. Takes some leverage to pop the airbox out, but once it's out, the orb is dead easy to get. I think the fender liners are a pain to remove, at least the main one (the smaller splash guard is a piece of cake, but it doesn't give good access to the orb).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay Celly, you've done it more than me so I'll take your word for it. I think the front edge of the fender liner would come down easily if the front 3-4 screws are removed.

Ford makes a good puzzle, better than any 10,000 piece puzzle. LOL,

Okay Celly, you've done it more than me so I'll take your word for it. I think the front edge of the fender liner would come down easily if the front 3-4 screws are removed.

Ford makes a good puzzle, better than any 10,000 piece puzzle. LOL,

Don, I watched Jon and Eric struggle with the fender liners after the header install last summer. I've never done it personally, but after replacing my orb last summer, I know how simple it was with the airbox removed as it's right below it. Of course, the only real challenge with the airbox is getting those two pins out of their holes the first time. I used a big screwdriver to get good leverage. Of course, I now have an aftermarket intake so it's easier.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes I know how much hell the back part of the fender liners are. I've swapped mine in and out 2-3 times. The front isn't so bad, but I also recall how much the air cleaner was tough to get those two pins to let go the first time.

Also,if the vacuum ball does have to come out, you have to pull the air cleaner to get to the nut. So pull the air cleaner and see how the lines etc are. Unless the vacuum ball has water in it, the lines are usually the problem.

Also,if the vacuum ball does have to come out, you have to pull the air cleaner to get to the nut. So pull the air cleaner and see how the lines etc are. Unless the vacuum ball has water in it, the lines are usually the problem.

Agreed (re: access to the nut). I think my problem was I didn't realize that on my year ('99) the orb has two lines and it doesn't work if you get them backwards. That may have happened when the headers were done and the orb reinstalled because I notice my vents were wacky when I drove Eric up to Topeka. When I got home to Calgary eventually, I tried some other attempts at cleaning it and destroyed the orb with compressed air. My lines were perfect. A new orb from a Ford stealership and I was back in business.

Thanks again for the info, Ill try the air box method I think...

Thanks!

Well I would like to thank everyone here for this thread. My air was only blowing through defrost and I was going crazy trying to figure it out. It has been around 115 here so trying to rely on defrost for a/c was not cutting it.

Thanks to this thread, and others on this same site, I was able to find the problem.

My issue, as it turned out, was not vaccuum-related. But by reading this thread I was able to get a good understanding of how the climate control system works. I looked for low hanging fruit first... but no disconnect vaccuum lines. And there was good vaccuum coming into firewall--so that eliminated a LOT.

Then while I was under the passenger side dash, looking around--in 115 degree heat I might add--I turned truck on and turned on air. I noticed that I was actually able to get all air to floor, or all air to defrost, or mixed. So I knew, by studying the diagram of the vacuum circuit in this thread, that the only thing not working was the panel/defrost door.

So I traced the red vaccuum line to the panel/defrost vacuum motor, and found the bar that is supposed to connect to the panel/defrost door's shaft was hanging loose. I then saw that the part of the panel/defrost door shaft that was supposed to connect to the motor's moving bar, was broken.

So I moved the shaft manually and voila.... AIR out vents. Keep in mind this is hottest time of year.

I was too hot to attempt permanent fix, but noticed the door stayed in vent position even when truck turned off, then back on, or any change in selector knob. Since I am in Arizona I dont think I have EVER used defrost, so right now that is acceptable. If I DO need it before I get in with more permanent fix it is 1 min to drop glove box door and move the panel/defrost door over to defrost again.

So thanks again for this thread...

And after finding what was wrong with my truck I found this thread too... In case someone else with my problem wanders in:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1769983#post1769983

The guy who started that thread had EXACT same problem as me.

Michael

What do you guys do to fix the lines? Mine melted..

Yes I know how much hell the back part of the fender liners are. I've swapped mine in and out 2-3 times. The front isn't so bad, but I also recall how much the air cleaner was tough to get those two pins to let go the first time.

New lines would be good if available, but using normal rubber vacuum lines is fine. The key for that is finding the end connectors to fit the lines. Sometimes they can be found at parts stores.

The ports themselves aren't interchangeable and aren't labeled. This drawing was exactly like my globe, so I was able to make sure I had the right line going to the upper intake. For future reference!

Welll after getting a new globe, and installing it, my air still wasn't blowing through the dash vents. Traced all the lines, and everything. Until I read this post, it never occur to me to try switching my lines.

Thanks for the help guys.

hi guys, responding to thread about blower vents going to defrost. mine does this but when i let up on the gas it starts to come out the vent, i hit the gas and it goes to the defrost again. The gray vaccum tube was off and i got that back on but still have the problem. Is this a vaccum problem or what? thanks

Hey guys.I drive a 97 ranger 3.0 v6. My air only blows out of the defroster no matter what setting.I have good vacuum pull untill i get to the harness that connects to the switch ive replaced both the switch and the hose harness with new parts and the same problem has happend, a hissing between the hose harness and the switch,ive gone to junkyards replaced the two and have had the same problem.Is there any information i could be overlooking?Any hepl would be appreciated.

Alright guys I need some advice on my AC problems. I'm getting the typical air from the defrost/floor vents, but can't seem to fix it given the information I've search on this forum. I've checked for vacuum leaks, checked the vacuum resevoir for water or rattling, looked for any disconnections, and haven't been able to fix the problem. I've manually opened the defrost door with the air on front vent mode and notice that it doesn't change anything (not sure if it should). I've plugged and unplugged the vacuum connections at the HVAC controls and where it leads to behind the glove box (didn't notice any suction from the colored hoses). So this leads me to a blank, and I need some advice on where to take this. Thanks in advanced

Oh, and this is on a 2001 Explorer Sport

Vacuum is accumulated in this "globe" or vacuum reservoir

here is a good shot of where it is located, tucked and hidden well in the passenger front wheel well
--see how easy a tire could hit it?
It may look fine, be filled with water (not good) or rattle (not good either) or have broken lines.

For thelowered trucks, or large tire guys-I relocated mine below my cone style open air filter, above the fender liner inside engine compartment. My tire had bumped it.

More info on globe here- http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192337

Here is a thread with several pictures of it, discussing it's location and function

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169945

I've searched all over for this globe and can't find it. Any chance any of you have purchased online and could throw out a link to get it?

Hey guys. I'm brand new to the forum, so if my question was already answered here, I apologize.

I have a '98 ford Explorer Sport that stopped blowing air out of the front half of the vehicle. No defroster, floor or vents. But the vents for the back seats work fine, and turn on/off with the front control panel like they're supposed to. Any ideas? Is this most likely a tube break or melt?

I've searched all over for this globe and can't find it. Any chance any of you have purchased online and could throw out a link to get it?

I got mine brand new at a dealership. Surprisingly, the price wasn't bad either. They didn't have in stock, but had me one in a few days.

Absolutely INCREDIBLE. Not only a section for AC/HEAT/HVAC, but I find my answer after registering here on this site in 20 mins. Maybe I can quit freezing out my windshield now and actually cool myself. Thnk u!

Mine's still busted. Nothing I read here referred specifically to my issue, and I got no response, either. Maybe I missed something, but I doubt it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine's still busted. Nothing I read here referred specifically to my issue, and I got no response, either. Maybe I missed something, but I doubt it.

You issue seems to be blower related.

If you have the electronic HVAC panel there could be an issue in there.

There is a blower resistor to check, and a blower rely under the hood.

According to my first post however, this is not the thread for you. Try searching for heater blower resistor

Back