Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How to: 2nd Gen NO AC ( or heat) FROM VENTS!!! A "How to" what to look for thread

Discussion in 'A/C & Heater systems - HVAC' started by Turdle, August 9, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 Mounty
      You'll need to look for answers in the 3rd gen sub forum. This thread applies to 1995-2001 only.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Drexleon

Drexleon New Member

1998 ford explorer
      hey i saw this post and was wondering what my problem is i have a 1998 ford explorer (eddie baur edition) and the ac blows through the normal vents when its on but when i turn the ac off it constantly blows through the dash defrost vents?

4. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Read through the first few posts, check everything and you'll find it!

5. Yelgnissm

Yelgnissm New Member

City, State:
      Delaware
      Hi so glad I found this thread..
      .I had dual problems with removing and repairing the cowl around the radio and then we had the battery replaced.

So now i get the defrost a/c problem
      But if i turn it to PANEL
      Then blower to first setting
      Then turn panel to AC
      The ac blows properly and I can turn blower all the way up

Seems like a leak not a fail.
      If you were me wpuld you check behind the ac controls
      Or the battery area (battery was in and out a few times occurs to me it could weaken the hose)
      Any advice?

Love my expedition. Want to keep it forever!

6. FL Cowgirl

FL Cowgirl New Member

City, State:
      Fort Myers, FL
      1998 Ford Explorer Sport

Is this behind the AC controls in the dash? Gotta take out radio bezel and then pull ac controller?

7. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty

H ( heat) V (vent) AC ( air conditioning)

Yes, on the back of the HVAC control. However, you need to repair your gray line, as it is leaking vacuum which prevents the system from working properly.

8. Kanyne

Kanyne New Member

City, State:
      Missouri
      2001 Sport Trac
      I know I'm reviving a dead thread, but I'm new to the forum. This thread has been hugely helpful to my understanding! I have a new-to-me 2001 Sport Trac 4WD with a 4.0 SOHC. It has the same issue with defrost-only HVAC as many others. I have found 3 (at least, up to this point) disconnected vacuum lines hanging loose in the engine compartment.
      #1 - Black line coming from the firewall. A rubber connector is on the hose around 2 feet past the firewall. Where does this connect?
      #2 - A White/Gray line coming from the firewall. A rubber connector is on the hose just a little longer than the black line. I understand this is a supply line, but from what?
      #3 - A Red line coming from the EGR system. This one wraps around the back of the intake and is laying disconnected along the top of the engine. Some genius put a screw in it to plug it, rather than fix the issue.
      *Note: I have found an open vacuum hose connection on a cylinder sitting below the alternator. The body looks like a smaller version of the vent door actuators inside the dash. What line connects here and what does it do?
      **Also, I found a black line running along the top of the frame rail front to back that goes to something near the brakes. I assume the other end goes to the vacuum reservoir, but I'm going to check that out soon.

Also, what are the two lines from the vacuum reservoir connected to? I guess a hand-holding walkthrough of the vehicle's outside vacuum hose layout would be great. The engine was replaced before I got it, and I suspect the vacuum lines were reconnected shoddy.

Last edited: September 19, 2017
    9. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty

#1 connects to a line from the reservoir
      #2 should be grey and runs to the vacuum bypass valve in the heater core supply hose
      #3 red line goes to the fuel pressure regulator. Green to egr vacuum solenoid

The black lines running along the fenders-engine front to rear are the vacuum source and reservoir lines. there will be 2 back lines attached to the reservoir.

10. Kanyne

Kanyne New Member

City, State:
      Missouri
      2001 Sport Trac
      Thanks so much, Turdle. I assume by "fuel pressure regulator," you are talking about the small canister sitting below the alternator? Or is it something else?

11. Kanyne

Kanyne New Member

City, State:
      Missouri
      2001 Sport Trac
      Well, I just jacked up the truck and found that the black line running on the frame rail is actually power. The vacuum reservoir has been removed, so there is no supply line. So, now I wonder where the source of the black supply line is in the engine? Until I get another reservoir, I can patch into that, maybe, and get suction from the right source.

By the way, I found the vacuum supply line and patched the gray into that. No issues. But, I found what looks like the FPR on the back of the fuel rail on the passenger side, but I can't find a vacuum port. The only thing I see is the screw-on cap, but that is the pressure relief valve, right? What am I missing?

12. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      I think that is the fuel pressure test port. There should be a "pressure damper" with obvious diaphragm shape on the fuel rail also.

13. Kanyne

Kanyne New Member

City, State:
      Missouri
      2001 Sport Trac
      Thanks. I'll check for that. Hooked up the red line to the black line, and at least I have A/C right now. But I still need to route the black line back to its source. Anyone know where that hookup is (before the vacuum reservoir)?

14. Billy260Z

Billy260Z New Member

City, State:
      davie, fl
      2000 xlt 5.0 awd
      I must have a leak in the defrost vent ? because my explorer blows a/c thru the vents but the wind shield get foggy . I checked the vacuum lines before . but my globe is next the overflow tank.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

15. 239

239 Active Member

City, State:
      Bonita Springs, FL
      2000 XLT, V6 OHV
      Mine decided to start switching back and forth between defrost and max ac when I’m driving. Time to go leak hunting this weekend. It doesn’t help that it’s in the mid 80’s during December here in Florida and I need my ac to work correctly :banghead: But hey, we have a “cold” front this weekend with highs in the 70’s so it’ll be a little more pleasant to work outside :rolleyes:

16. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Oh, shut up. We're hitting below freezing this week, with highs in the low 40's a couple of days. The people up in the real north have snow on the ground now and I don't envy them either. Have fun there in the heat.:p

I feel for you because my 98 Mountaineer still has the hot MAX AC problem, the blend door I'm sure. I'm happy I've got heat in the mornings and AC when we do hit the 60* mark occasionally. I've got a leaking roof that I haven't tracked down yet. I sealed the sunroof with RTV, and it still drips just as much. I'm tired of getting wet inside the car. I think the rubber sealing edge might have separated from the glass, it's about all that's left for water to get in and drip from the front corners of the sunroof opening.

17. 239

239 Active Member

City, State:
      Bonita Springs, FL
      2000 XLT, V6 OHV
      Hey, I’m just hoping that the heat will drive some of the snowbirds and tourists away, so traffic isn’t as bad :D I always wanted a sunroof, but leaks like yours lessen that desire. Good luck sealing that leak, I hope I can find the issue soon as we’ll be back in the 90’s come spring :cool2:

18. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I love the Fall and Spring, temps between too hot and too cold, 50-70 is my favorite range.