302 carb swap | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 carb swap

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could be mistaken, I think the 2 lower trans bolt holes mentioned in the earlier post are just for the inspection ( torque converter drain plug access) cover-

edit. Nevermind, I was not paying close enough attention.

then I would get a gear off of a 5.0 with the roller cam not the brass gear although the brass gear will work.
roscoe

Ive been down a couple days health issues but im good now i have all the parts ive been waiting for at work. So this weekend the goal is to get it all together and hopefully fire up ill be pushing the explorer into the shop tonight and starting work on it at 5am i plan on spending the night at work if my lady will let me saturday is my bday so im not sure how that will go over lol bottom line this weekend majority of the work will be completed

20180203_070227.jpg

Let the games begin

Im about ready to pull the motor out ive been going kinda easy because my buddy has a 4.0 with over 320,000 miles on it so im just trying not to destroy everything and give him some spare parts. Its a shame this engine is not that old and its a reman. Just a botched job so im going to give him the heads if he wants them. Heres some pictures im getting close to the fun part wgich is putting the 302 in...

20180203_074905.jpg
pulled the front end off for more room

20180203_082255.jpg
radiator is pretty clean inside so im going to give her a good cleaning and re-use

20180203_084752.jpg
got to remove this without cutting it up

20180203_090431.jpg
got the harness removed went ahead and cut the injector wires i left the rest alone my buddy probably wont ever use

20180203_093749.jpg
proper way to remove a/c lines........ cut off wheel

20180203_093809.jpg
just got to unbolt motor mounts

Im taking a break to run errands my flywheel has not showed up or my motor mounts so im running to junkyard real fast then autozone to get some cleaning supplies

FYI, save your AC condenser and its special bracket holding it to the support at the bottom. Those work much better than the 302 condenser, which has to attach to the V8 radiator. I've not done it myself yet, just know Tim and others have. Everyone hates the V8 condenser mounting, so the V6 version is a welcome improvement.

Well i couldnt get to where i wanted to be i lost the motor mount brackets and my lady wanted me to go out for my bday i did make it pretty far. Ill start again at 4am heres some photos

20180203_140100.jpg
got her unbolted and ready to pull

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

20180203_140841.jpg
almost got her out forgot to unplug the oil level sensor

Back