31" tires on a bronco with no lifts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

31" tires on a bronco with no lifts

Reaction score
City, State
MTY, MX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1984 bronco II
hi, my old man's offering me an awesome deal on a pair of these (wild country radial xrt 31x10.50r15lt) but I really wanna know if I'm going to have rubbing problems. I read somewhere that 31 was the maximum size one could use on a stock suspension, but I'd rather confirm that first hand from someone here that has this size tire on a similar b2 or ranger.

I'm attaching a pic I took last night for a visual comparison, sorry I couldn't get a better angle

Attachments

• DSC03384.JPG
    DSC03384.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 6,471

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you will rubb when u flex out, and u will rub at near full **** left or right against the sway bar (will put a small shiney spot about the size of a quarter on the sway bar but no damage); i rub my 30x950's at full **** so u should get just before if not the same distance, also note this can be fixed with backspacing on rims however u may begin to rub on the corner of the fender... however a small bit of
sawzall-smiley.gif
would fix that...

also i would suggest, if your going to a 10.50 tire, upgrade your rims to 15x8 instead of the stock 15x7

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to pass on my dad's offer for now and see about getting some smaller used tires at the local mom and pop shop. maybe some all-terrain 245's? I'd love some suggestions.

I know I'm getting a body lift eventually, but for now I just need a good set of all-purpose tires to run the truck safely and work out all the bugs.

for sitting stock height, got with some 30x950's , you'll a slight bit of increase in ground clearance as well a bit better bite on the road... i went from the stock 205's and cant complain ...

before i started the mod's
lilbitofmud2.jpg

I just got offered a set of 15x8 rims for about 5 dlls each. would those work ok on 30x950 tires?

yah no prob ....

only diff in the rim size...... is what kind of Side Wall Bulge u will have...some people like a bit more bulge look, others dont.. general fit rule seems to be ...

up to 32" 15x8 ,
33" up to 37" 15x10/or 12
40" + split rim....

thats what ive noticed mostly.. and believe its all a personal pref to a point...

once i finish my 2" lift, i will be running 31x1050x15 on 15x8

edit: remember though... white walls are for soccer moms...

lol, coincidently, the previous owner of my b2 was in FACT a soccer grandma. those tires are definitely coming off. The rims I was offered apparently came off a cherokee, I just hope there are no problems fitting the locking hubs.

If I buy'em I'll paint them up just like these. I think they'll look nice on some AT tires

Attachments

• 2615463100046140835S425x425Q85.jpg
    2615463100046140835S425x425Q85.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 4,542

should be no probs... i think Cheapokee's are the same bolt pattern

I Have 31 x 10.5R15 with 15x7 rins and I have no problems with rubbing but i mostly stay on the road ;-)
100_4435.jpg

that b2 looks great, thanks for the comment. I will be doing some light to moderate offroading so rubbing is going to be an issue for me if I go with 31s. I plan on getting a set of second hand 235s or slightly bigger, just to get the truck out on the road and finally work the kinks out. My job doesn't allow me a lot of free time to play around, but once I get those damn tires I'll MAKE time :D.

Any way we can get a full size pic of your Bronco trey?
The others are really fine also. I kinda forgot what a stock looking B2 looks like ha ha.

Any way we can get a full size pic of your Bronco trey?
The others are really fine also. I kinda forgot what a stock looking B2 looks like ha ha.

wow...half an eternity since my last post...
I've had money troubles and other personal crap keeping me from fiddling with the bronco, but things are back on track now :)
for the past couple of weeks I've been spending every weekend trying to get the truck on the road. here are some pics of this past weekend. just a road test to the next town over to start working out the kinks.

the crewcab ranger belongs to a buddy of mine. if the B2 broke down he'd tow my sorry a$$ home.

Yes, I know. that ranger is NICE.

ZSYdU.jpg

HnXZc.jpg

yRmPb.jpg

Rv1dl.jpg

3zT0n.jpg

JSxT6.jpg

mBcy4.jpg

woohoo! drivin' home at 45mph!
bX3xf.jpg

I ran 31"x10.50"x 15" on stock B2 rims for a short while on my DD only a few miles put on off road but there was a significant amount of rubbing so I changed back to 235's AT's go where I want with no rub...hope you build her to please your self, lol. ? Es usted de el estado de Nuevo Leon?

yeah. I'm currently saving for some used 235 all terrains. and I installed some springs from an old torn down ranger. the front now looks way higher than it was in the first pic on this thread.

I'd sure like to wheel that area (some beautiful shots of the countryside) and think it's great you building up your Bronc, lot of good inspiration in this forum. Regards Rick C.

you bet! there's lots of rocky hills, valleys, and dry streams all over the place. and all just 10-20 minutes away from my front door! I'm itching to drive out there and get lost for a couple of hours XD

One odd fact to consider is that the Bronco II is not very stable when it gets a flat. The larger the tires, the less stable when one goes. I picked up a screw in a rear tire running 235/75 15 tires and the handling got scary quick. If you plan to do a lot of flying down windy roads, you may want to consider this.

Ziggy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One odd fact to consider is that the Bronco II is not very stable when it gets a flat. The larger the tires, the less stable when one goes. I picked up a screw in a rear tire running 235/75 15 tires and the handling got scary quick. If you plan to do a lot of flying down windy roads, you may want to consider this.

Ziggy

Thanks for the heads up. I won't be driving on any highways (except if absolutely necessary). the truck is intended for light-moderate offroading on lose dirt, rocks and some mud. So I'll hopefully never drive fast enough to let a flat tire turn into a catastrophic situation.

Back