33" tires with stock axles | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33" tires with stock axles

I'm thinking of running 33"s with the 2" suspension lift and 3" body lift. Will this give me trouble on the trails, as I've only got 3.73 gears?

Should I stick with 31"s until I get new gears?

Any opinions would be helpful

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Negative, 33's.. and I've read plenty of threads for 4.56 vs 4.10 and I'm pretty set on 4.56 due to all the torque I'll be getting back... the mileage of the 4.10s isn't so important to me. Glad to know just the pinion and the main gear thing is the only things that I have to buy [for the most part]

I have always been curious about limited slip in the front, for better traction while keeping it decent on the street... any comments? Is it possible? Cons/Pros?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

limited slip is not available for the front at this time, someone mentioned a couple of weeks ago that torsen was going to finally release their limited slip unit for the front diff sometime around November, but i'll believe it when I see it as it's been rumored to be coming out a few different times and never actually hit the market. You'll also have to buy master install kits, and pay a lot of money for labor.

Yeah, it's gonna be the spendy part of this lift.. gears and labor.. Hm... no l/s at this moment huh?... Damn.. I definitely wouldn't do a locker... I just can't see the cv axles liking that too much.. I guess I'll have to live with it how it is... I expect to probably pay from 800-1000+ for the gear project... ouch... I hope it's not that much...

just get 4.10 axles from a junk yard. I wish i would have done it the first time around. $150 for the rear and $100 for the front axle. swap it in. boom! done.

4.56 gears alone would cost you that much, then you need the install kits and you need to get them installed. thats another 300-1000.....

just something to think about.

Yeah, that's the downside but I don't think 3.73 to 4.10 is worth the bother really. 4.56 for the performance I want.

i've had both gears with 33's..... not that big of a difference really. i could still hit the governor with the 4.10's.

the 4.56's were definitely deeper, made accelerating easier, but honestly not worth the extra expense. $250 for gears another $100 for master install kits, and then $400 to get them installed.

Save the $500 and get 4.10's from a junkyard. but thats just my .02

What about stress on the transmission? And the low torque? And what did you mean by the speed limiter comment? Can you not reach it with these gears?

the 5r55e is a tough SOB. i've got 163k on mine, and she runs just like i got her at 99k. and thats running 33's on her since 120k, and beating the chit out of the truck on the trails (ask jman689 or kert0307 how i wheel my truck).

What i'm getting at, is swapping in a junk yard drive train is the most bang for the buck.

If you have the money and the desire to get really deeper gears, then do it. It will alleviate even more stress from the tranny and help you accelerate a 5500lb truck with 60 lb tires a little bit faster.

I just regret spending all the money i did. I dropped $1300 ( i think) on lockers and 4.56 gears, and it blew up in my face. The 4.10 driveline and a $80 mini spool was the best money i ever spent on the truck. So if i can relay my experience to someone and help them save a few hundred bucks, thats what i'm going to do.

edit: you have a 5.0..... different tranny and you have more than enough power, like the previous poster said.

http://www.4x4offroads.com/gear-ratio-chart.html

They'll both be about the same, I'll just have more torque off the line like I did when I was stock.. with 29" and 3.73. Hell, it'll be even better. But more gas used vs the 4.10s on the highway. That's fine. I could probably hit the governer faster than with the 4.10s. I just want more power in the low.

http://www.4x4offroads.com/gear-ratio-chart.html

They'll both be about the same, I'll just have more torque off the line like I did when I was stock.. with 29" and 3.73. Hell, it'll be even better. But more gas used vs the 4.10s on the highway. That's fine. I could probably hit the governer faster than with the 4.10s. I just want more power in the low.

You won't be wanting to hit the govenor with 33's, that would be just plain stupid. I would be surprised if many 33" tires are rated for more than 80mph, let alone 107, or whatever you have it set at with your tuner.

lemme get this straight, so with everything said and done.... 4.10 gears are not worth it? and if my 93 X is my DD and i have 33s i should get 4.56 to keep more mileage?

lemme get this straight, so with everything said and done.... 4.10 gears are not worth it? and if my 93 X is my DD and i have 33s i should get 4.56 to keep more mileage?

For you 4.56 gears would be best, the v8 guys can run 4.10's though and be perfectly happy.

I would be surprised if many 33" tires are rated for more than 80mph, let alone 107, or whatever you have it set at with your tuner.
My BFGs had speed rating of 99MPH...

For you 4.56 gears would be best, the v8 guys can run 4.10's though and be perfectly happy.

Ok thanks a bunch! But one more thing... I know I can use ford 8.8 4.56 gears in the rear...but can I use the exact same ones in the front? Or does the front require something different?

edited to correct my wrong answer

Just to clarify.. since there are different generation Explorers in this thread..

Standard or Reverse rotation answer for the Dana 35..

1st gen Ex (91-94, TTB) has a reverse rotation (HP) D35
2nd gen Ex (95-01, SLA IFS) uses standard rotation (LP) D35

When you find gears for the Dana 35, you need to make sure they are the right rotation.

~Mark

Yeah, the V8 has the power to move the bigger and heavier tires. But it can't be Worse with that extra torque, and it'll stay in its powerband at higher highway speeds.

Yeah, the V8 has the power to move the bigger and heavier tires. But it can't be Worse with that extra torque, and it'll stay in its powerband at higher highway speeds.

Just do what you want to do, it's obvious you don't want to listen to other peoples advice.

I have, if you search for the 4.10 vs 4.56 on This forum, it shows a lot of people have 4.10 and mention it's a little slow off the line, or the increase in performance (from 3.73)was there, but wasn't 'enough'. A lot of those people wish they had 4.56s, although some of those users are satisfied with the gears, a lot of them reason with finanial issues or not knowing how much the mileage will be affected. Anyone with 4.56's hasn't a complaint at all and don't regret making the change, a lot of those users had gone though and tested 4.10s before making the next step. I have read a lot of people's opinions, and I've looked through plenty of charts on all types of different truck forums. I'm not trying to be rude, but just because I don't agree with You does Not mean I'm not listening to peoples advice, as I am. All of the info, the cons/pros of 4.56 and 4.10s I am aware of and I have no problem giving up some mileage for that extra torque. 9 months out of the year, it's winter here and general terrain everywhere is crappy. If 4.56 is better for torque and is a good choice for off-roading then that's what I'm gonna go for.. this truck isn't going to see a lot of long distance trips and since I've moved to Anchorage I do mostly city driving rather than highway.

You'll need different gears for the front. You have a dana 35 up there, the gears you'll need are standard rotation if I remember right.

where can i find D35 gears? ive been lookin on jegs and summit but i guess im just blind. :dunno: what specifically do i look for? sorry for all the newbie questions...

Back