35" KM2s...installed ! ! | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

35" KM2s...installed ! !

Those aren't the same. I like the look of the old Scout/ Jeep wagon wheels that had the rounded edge hole openings. The repro's they make today are straight edge. I wish I could find a picture of my old '79 Scout II, it was a beast.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great trimming & flex pics! Some good tips on removing cladding too - thanks!

After seeing this I am somewhat relieved, but disappointed because I was getting attached to the idea of removing the cladding permanently, but it looks like all those fasteners down the sides will leave holes or mounting bosses showing if you take them off, and also it sounds like you need them to cover some sheetmetal work on the lower external fender lip behind the front wheels. I saw several pics of the trimmed plastic and the folded metal seam that is.trimmed at the bottom, but didn't see what you did with the outwarde-facing sheetmetal prior to putting the plastic back on.

Looks like you made the right call on the backspace! Very nice!!

are you using spacers on the rear? Usually when the front looks right the back looks skinny, or if the back looks right the front is out a little much, but yours somehow looks wider in rear!?

didn't see what you did with the outwarde-facing sheetmetal prior to putting the plastic back on.

Nothing. Unless I'm misreading what you're asking. I just made the cuts, replaced the plastic, cut the plastic, and that was it.

are you using spacers on the rear? Usually when the front looks right the back looks skinny, or if the back looks right the front is out a little much, but yours somehow looks wider in rear!?

Yes I am. 1.5" spacers on the rear.

Where'd you get your spacers? Ebay?

They're Rough Country spacers. I got them from WS Offroad but I don't think they're carrying them anymore. Rough Country has them on the their site for the same price.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_wheel_spacers.html

IMG_2290.jpg

Thank you very much!

Trimming:

Driver's side
IMG_3467.jpg

There's an angled piece of metal right behind the wheel well that looks like a brace of some sort. Did you change that angle or just cut a piece of it. I can't really tell from this pic.

it's been about 6 months since you slapped the 35"s on, how has it been treating you? have you been finding new places that youve needed to trim? how have the tires been wearing? and how has it been effecting your tranny shift points and speedo? this might sound weird, but when i first slapped my 33"s on, my speedo was off by 4mph. ive only put 5k miles or so on my tires and they have barely wore at all, but my speedo is now only off by 2 mph. have you had a similar experience?

Trimming:

Driver's side
imageremoved[/IMG.]

There's an angled piece of metal right behind the wheel well that looks like a brace of some sort. Did you change that angle or just cut a piece of it. I can't really tell from this pic.[/QUOTE]

If it's what I think you're talking about, I cut it. I really only used the hammer to dull and flatten the sharp cut. Fell in love with the sawzall during this project.:sawzall:

[QUOTE]it's been about 6 months since you slapped the 35"s on, how has it been treating you? have you been finding new places that youve needed to trim? how have the tires been wearing? and how has it been effecting your tranny shift points and speedo? this might sound weird, but when i first slapped my 33"s on, my speedo was off by 4mph. ive only put 5k miles or so on my tires and they have barely wore at all, but my speedo is now only off by 2 mph. have you had a similar experience? [/QUOTE]

It's been great. Nothing exciting to report actually. I'm pretty sure I got all the trimming. A piece of the front driver's side gap guards needs refastened and occasionally gets gripped by the tread and flaps through the threads for a few moments. Easy fix but been busy with the yard in my free time.

Tires are wearing fine. One was wearing on the outside a little but I caught it quick and fixed it. That was because of my arrogance (stupidity) thinking that I did the alignment correctly when I replaced the steering rack and tried to save $45. Got it rotated out to the spare and have about 4,000 miles total on the tires. Tread seems to be wearing well for a MT; not a noticeable change in tread depth, yet.

Haven't noticed anything in particular to note regarding the tranny or shift points. I drive like an old lady and drive less than 5 miles to work each day, never getting over 45 mph (by my educated guess). When the speedometer says 43, I'm actually doing 45. At least, those were my last calculations. I don't know if there has been a change. I'll try to check again soon just to see. I do plan to get the tranny flushed this summer since it's about that time.

thanks for the update, youre running 4.10 gearing right? for regular road use, i think ive got my trimming down pretty good, but every once in a while off road and sometimes on the road, ill turn the wheel, go over a hump or bump and get some scraping.

after looking at pics of your set up, i might go to 35"s on my next set of treads even though two months ago i was 100% sure i would stay with 33"s. were your spacers necessary to run the 35"s?

Right, 4.10 open. I have occasionally gotten those bumps and scrapes but it's been a while. I played around today and put it through the paces pretty well, lots of tight turns in the woods. Even went across one of the fields at about 40mph. Pretty dang bumpy but stable, predictable and best of all, no bad noises.

The spacers weren't necessary, just preference. I only have them on the rear. I have done very little trimming on the rear but would have had to do more without the spacers. I really just don't like how much more the front tires stuck out than the rear. I keep a close eye on them.

Bottom line: Very happy I went to 35s.

What psi are you running on the KM2s by chance? I don't want to make a stupid mistake and wear them out early.

midnightrebel, are you possibly thinking d-windows rather than wagon wheels? my d-window cut-outs almost match the wagon wheels on my trailer except the edges are rounded on the truck wheels

The old wagon wheels like they had on the older Jeeps and Scout II's. We'll have to see what axles I'm going with though. I might do 1 tons just for added strength, I'd have to narrow them though, I don't want full width axles sticking out too far getting me tagged everytime I drive on the road.

Hows your front hubs holding out?

Ever think of flipping that rear hitch? I cut the tube off the mounts, flipped it, and mig welded it back together. Looks stock, and hugs the bumper plus gives more clearance.

If you get a set of rear shocks with longer extension rates, you will be able to really stuff that rear axle. It's not "Stuffed" until the tires are rubbing hard on the inner wheel well leaving shiny rub marks :p:

Looks good tho! :thumbsup:

What psi are you running on the KM2s by chance? I don't want to make a stupid mistake and wear them out early.

Sorry I forgot about this. I meant to tell you yesterday but forgot. I am running 32psi now and it seems to be good. I ran them at 40psi for a while when I was making longer trips twice a week. From what I've read and heard, keep an eye on how they wear and rotate every 3k miles.

Hows your front hubs holding out?

Ever think of flipping that rear hitch? I cut the tube off the mounts, flipped it, and mig welded it back together. Looks stock, and hugs the bumper plus gives more clearance.

If you get a set of rear shocks with longer extension rates, you will be able to really stuff that rear axle. It's not "Stuffed" until the tires are rubbing hard on the inner wheel well leaving shiny rub marks :p:

Looks good tho! :thumbsup:

No hub issues as of yet. Only been a couple months but AFAIK, they're still the original hubs. Keeping an eye on them and may be changing them next tire rotation just for the hell of it. Never done hubs before.

I thought about remounting it somehow but never considered flipping it. That sounds like a good idea. I'll look into that. I haven't been too crazy about it hanging down but it hasn't been that big of a deal.

I still have the sway bar on the rear, too. I know I got a good bit more room for travel in the rear. I'll look into it.

Thanks!

So for highway driving higher 30s you think is good pressure?

Just a side thought, you took out your front sway bar right?

i wouldnt remove that sway bar unless you arent doing too much road driving. that thing is a necessity if you need to swerve suddenly on the road, like if a kid ran into the street, or a dog, or if you need to make a quick jerk of the wheel at high speed. without the sway bars, you could roll over easier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back