35" MT/R's On The Way; I'm Committed Now | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

35" MT/R's On The Way; I'm Committed Now

I just spent $914 for four rockcrawler rims from 4Wheel Parts and a set of 35" MT/R's from Tirerack.com.

I forced myself. Now that I've spent the money, I HAVE to figure out how to stuff them in my front wheelwells :hammer: because there is no way I will let myself waste nearly a thousand dollars. :D A little bit of psychological self-analysis to force myself into getting those puppies stuffed in there.

And no, I have absolutely no idea how I will fit them. :D I surely hope my Eddie Bauer flares can hide the sheetmetal removal that will be required in the rear of the front wheelwells. This is gonna be quite an adventure, LOL :bounce:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have heard of a lift for Rangers that uses F250 LD torsion bars, to replace the stock ones, and cv's from a Porchse(?spelling) 944.

I met a guy in Florida who said he had it done to his truck. I don't know if there would be a difference in the Explorer though. It gives 3" of lift, according to him. He seemed to be a pretty straight forward guy.

There was also another guy who did just the torsion bar swap, and kept blowing cv's cause of the cv angle.

I will try and get more info and let you guys know.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Originally posted by Johnstone
Jefe, how long have you been running on the 35" tires and what size wheels do you have them mounted on?
13 months, 23k miles. Rims are 15x8.5

Originally posted by TarHeel085
*cough**cough* Dana 44. HEY WHO SAID THAT! :D
Yes yes. . .If I only had that kind of money and another car so I could do without my Ex for a few months.

Lookin' good Gerald. Are you going to hack up the front flares so they fit?

Look AWESOME...look forward to seeing them in Rich Mtn in Febuary if you are still gonna be there. That is awesome, congrats Gerald.

Originally posted by Jefe
hubs, cv's, tie rod ends, ball joints, rack & pinion. . .you name it, it wears much faster with 35's. Its still more annoying than expensive though. I dread pulling apart the front end every time, and I think I could do it blindfolded now. :rolleyes: Its about time to find a daily driver to replace the Ex.

omg rack and pinion too?? how much was it. Oh and try the moog rod ends. they claim to be much stronger than oem. got me thinking on sticking with 33s when i lift..

Originally posted by Paul Gagnon
Are you going to hack up the front flares so they fit?

Yes.... the only reason I have not done it yet is that I am trying to figure out how to do a professional-quality neat cut of the plastic flares. I am afraid that if I "freehand" a cut with a set of boxcutters that it won't come out very good. I want it to look perfect. If done right, I think they would simply look thinner like the Eddie Bauer flares on an Expedition are.

Good luck with that Gerald! I know that I messed up on mine and just got the Perry's fenders.

those flares cut like butter with a nice cuttoff wheel

Yeah a small cutoff wheel is what I am thinking of using, but I still gotta keep an even cut; I don't want to freehand it or it will look like Alec's LOL.

Any ideas? The best I can come up with so far is to clamp down my hand grinder (with a cutoff wheel in it) so that it doesn't move, and clamp a 2x4 or other guide several inches away from it, and hold the flare against the 2x4 and feed it between the 2x4 and cutoff wheel.

How about a cardboard cutout attached to the flare. That way you could trim along the edge of the cardboard. It would give you something to use as a line of sight.

That may not work but it is an idea..

when I did mine I used a permanent marker to draw the line then cut free hand but used a smaller cut off wheel than you are using. You might consider a smaller one or a fine blade on a reciprocating saw.

good news is if you mess yours up you can have mine. of course you'd have to paint them but the silver flares would be free.

Originally posted by morrisey0
um............Robb has second dibs on the flares.

Robb

not trying to change the topic here, but the rear flare for the drivers side is pretty much trash but the others are good just need a coat of paint on the drivers side front and the other two are fine. Keep in mind these are on a two door so the rear is worthless to you four door guys anyway.

taxxman2k,
I am only looking for the fronts. Let me know if Gerald doesn't need them.

And I too am sorry for going off topic!

Robb

looks awesome, gerald. good luck with the hacking...i mean trimming project!

Originally posted by taxxman2k
good news is if you mess yours up you can have mine. of course you'd have to paint them but the silver flares would be free.

Yes I would be interested! I'll PM you.

GJarrett

Any new word on the trimming and re-install of flares?

Nah. I got a lot of body damage last month and the flares are low on my list of priorities right now. I'll get it all fixed up this spring.

Back