351W project - more progress, Oil Pan done. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

351W project - more progress, Oil Pan done.

Over the last two weekends I took some time and worked on my custom oil pan for the 351W swap. As I made the mistake of going with a Girdle for my engine build up, I was not able to easily modify an explorer 302 pan (by grafting in a 351W rear main portion) nor was I able to use a 351W FRPP Mustang pan without some major re-work. The drivers side header wipes out most of the sump on the Mustang pans and the front oil pump sump is too deep to clear the rack.

This lead me to making a completely custom oil pan. I use a cheap stamped 351W truck oil pan as a starting point and cut off the drawn pan section from the mounting ring with about 1.5" side walls, then created the rest of the pan from scratch with 16ga steel, an oxy/acet torch, a mig and a tig welder - of course some hammering an cussing were also involved!

The first few pictures show some of the early stages, I wish I would have gotten some pics of just the "ring".

Dsc03202-s.jpg

Checking to make sure clearance to rack, front diff, and headers
Dsc03209-s.jpg

Dsc03212-s.jpg

I have since steepened the wall on the rear sump to better match the collector angle and give more volume.

Here are some pictures of the oil pickup and sump locations. The pickup is ~1/4" from bottom of sump.

Dsc03226-s.jpg

Dsc03224-s.jpg

Here is one with it tacked and ready to be finish welded.

Dsc03219-s.jpg

Here are a few "finished products." I only wish I had better skills at Tig welding to make the beads more pretty! I did do a decent job of keeping distortion out, only very minor warpage, that I was able to get out with some calibrated twisting and pounding.
Dsc03253-s.jpg

Dsc03255-s.jpg

Last thing to do is cut out the drain plug I put in and replace with a piece of 1/4" flat steel stock and Moroso plug. I do not feel comfortable that the surface on this pan is flat enough for the explorer plug and bung I used to seal 100%. Rather replace it now than after I spend $150 for Jet Hot coating on it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Amazing. Custom stuff is always more interesting to watch someone else do, isn't it? :p Sometimes, at least.

I would like to see a write-up when this is done. I'be been thinking about just swapping short blocks instead of going 331/347. I have plenty of room for a stock oil pan too. :D

Keep up the good work!

Super nice Todd. You're welding skills are very good compared to a novice. I can honestly say I'm no good at TIG welding. A couple of hours is not enough training I know. I now understand why so many others just do MIG welding. The TIG is great for that kind of appearance work, MIG is a bit sloppy for that. Regards,

wow what a monster!

How many quarts?

Also are you worried that when you drain the pan the hump up near the front of the block will not drain fully? I know its not a big deal but it could maybe use a second drain plug up there?

I thought about that, when I was comparing with the Moroso S/M pan I used for inspiration, but I don't think I will have a probem, since it isn't really a sump up front the passengers side "mid region" is the same depth and with the engine sitting at a slight rearward - down angle, it should be fine.

Nicely done, that should keep those oil temps down, that sucker is HUGE! :)

hey nice looking pan. Have you talked to rich yet, i cant think of his screen name, but he is in muskegon mi and he has a 351w in a 4 door, and i have a 351w in a sport. What axle set up are you using that forced you to make a new pan?

i know i used the stock pan on the motor, and i believe rich did also

I have the torsion bar front suspension like the 95+ Explorers have, so I had no choice. None of the Mustang swap pans - stamped or sheet metal fabricated - would fit around the front diff or the steering rack. As it was, I had to raise the engine 5/8" to get clearance for the oil pump and front pan section. There is ~1/8" clearance between pan and the pump, to give me most clearance to the rack from pan bottom.

Here is another picture to give you an idea of what I was working against!
Dsc02926.jpg

That was before the engine was raised. I had less than 1/4" clearance from PUMP to rack! The second and third pictures in the thread starter show the pan in the truck with the diff and rack clearances.

There is a tone more room in the TTB Ranger/Explorers.

ahhh i see. Yea all the other explorers that have seen with 351ws also have straight axles up front... This looks like a sweet project, im going to have to keep an eye on this thing. Maybe when you finish it i can see it in person

Exceptional design and execution! I am very impressed! Yes, I agree when everyone said it couldn't be done, you've done the impossible. All the Best!

Bob Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers

hahaha we should know by now time + $$$ = anything is possible.

Updates?! :cool:

Next to nothing has been done. Just being lazy! Hope to get going again in the next few weeks / month.

T

It's hard to get motivated with the rough weather isn't it? I've had a few maladies in the last 6-8 weeks, and just having my truck done has made me take a little breather. I've never had a disease that I remember, so turning up with Shingles last month was the last downer. It has been very minor I gather, so I'm beginning to gain optimism for Spring.

Take a breath Todd and find a helper, a witness to keep you company, and get back at it. Regards,

Yeah, after having a bad experience with un-expected trips at Christmas time, I then broke my toe in early January. Could not fit my boots on. Then it go just miserably cold for several weeks, just now getting nicer. I should be out there soon.

Looks like I may put in the 351W without S/C for a while, to get it running, and give more time to complete the S/C intake and intercooler plumbing.

T

Such an interesting thread, how could it die off? Did you get it going?

Holding pattern - 7 years and counting... All my parts are sitting waiting for the few weeks it would take to complete... Just no time in life to get to it!

Todd

Take your time, Todd! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take your time, Todd! :D

Ditto, and... the kids should be old enough soon to help.:eek: I've got a 7 year old niece and nephew, twins that never stop moving, I'd keep them away from the garage.

Back