3800 M90 Build | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3800 M90 Build

Ok the cats out the bag!!im going supercharged .its a 3800 gm m90.i need lots of help as im a nos guy.for starters my list of mods is in my signature.the guy im buying it from ran it on a stock tuned motor at 3psi.first question is what is the "safe" limit to run boost at?i know it is not ideal but i have a wide band O2 and will be doing tuning very soon.i also will be trying to have my company make a new lower intake mounting bracket on the cnc machine and have it taped for nos/water meth injectors/spray bars.i will also be getting a p+p unit from 3800 performance and stepping down on the pulley to try and run 8-10psi.what size injectors should i run for that?which fuel pump should i run?any suggestions on tuning?i was going to go mega squirt but i see sct has a new chip out,any suggestions?

DONE

ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

dyno run,these was the last two pulls with the 2.7 and the alternator was bad.turn your volume down!!

and a 3.25 pull and think my rev is still set to 5000 in this one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I Bet , Its The More Common Used That's why , Well Your A little Behind to be on the safe side , But All Should Go Well Tom and tue !!, I Really Want to Use my Eaton M90 Off My Tbird , But have no Time and No Garage So That don't Help Me

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Great job JD! I'm out for the night, come back, and find out what I missed. Looks great. Major project almost done.

Great job JD! I'm out for the night, come back, and find out what I missed. Looks great. Major project almost done.

Thanks man:) got everything done but the pcv, gota get one thats a 90* not straight out the valve cover.also i hook up my iac backwards and didnt even notice till had the charger on the truck.pulled it off and broke the damn tab off so i gota go get one from the junk yard.i used a 5.0 aic and tps,neither of the stock ones would fit or work:( going to be a BUSY day tomorrow trying to get everything and on the truck and started before Tuesday :(

Its the trip for parts that takes the time.

You have a lot more to do than I did. The intercooler and the wiring that came with it for the pump, exhaust...

Your so close now. Youve done a great job, so I don't think you will have much for startup issues.

Its weird that your stock iac wouldn't work. I wonder if its a difference between years of explorers, even though we both have ohv's.

Its weird that your stock iac wouldn't work. I wonder if its a difference between years of explorers, even though we both have ohv's.

Well i had to spin my tb so the throttle bracket is on top.when i did that some how my marks got off when i welded it so it came out 1" closer to the charger.there is a size difference in the first gen and 2nd gen/5.0 iac.if i had that inch that i planned my stock one would fit but i dont so i have to use the smaller 2nd gen or 5.0.here is a pic of the two and you can see where i broke the tab off!!:(
2012-06-10155749.jpg

Very different from gen1 to gen2. Lots of them in the graveyard, luckily.

You have your exhaust bolted up? Intercooler lines not giving you any surprises? The hose routing was the most difficult for me. How was your coolant port on the top of your motor? Did you have to cut and re-weld it in a different position? Are your hands ever clean for wrenching all weekend. Couldn't help but notice.

Very different from gen1 to gen2. Lots of them in the graveyard, luckily.

You have your exhaust bolted up? Intercooler lines not giving you any surprises? The hose routing was the most difficult for me. How was your coolant port on the top of your motor? Did you have to cut and re-weld it in a different position? Are your hands ever clean for wrenching all weekend. Couldn't help but notice.

Every thing is done besides pcv and tune.Nothing was changed on the motor.made a bracket for the coil and one for the tb that goes down to the head for support, it aint going anywhere.everything was mocked up so it just all mounted and plummed right up,didnt run into any issues besides the intake pipe getting welded a inch closer to the sc than mock up.haha shoot i just scrubbed the hell out of them before that pic,i dont belive in those rubber gloves.normally they are super black,this was final assembly so everything was super clean;)o by the way i was seeing 102* ambient temps in the tb and 108* in the lower manifold when i was doing some belt measurements today,it was FREAKING HOT OUT!!my back is so SUNBURNT!!

Hots good, but too hot just isnt any fun.
You working tomorrow? Thought you might take the day off to make sure you have plenty of time to finish it up and post a vid of it running with base tune. Did you put temp sensors before and after intercooler? I kinda doubt it, but it would have been cool to see the difference in temps. Using ambient temp against lower manifold temp will still give us an idea.

I just am not looking forward to making a bracket for my coil pack. I might pick one up from a gen1 and see if I can modify it. That might ber the easiest way for me.

Hots good, but too hot just isnt any fun.
You working tomorrow? Thought you might take the day off to make sure you have plenty of time to finish it up and post a vid of it running with base tune. Did you put temp sensors before and after intercooler? I kinda doubt it, but it would have been cool to see the difference in temps. Using ambient temp against lower manifold temp will still give us an idea.

I just am not looking forward to making a bracket for my coil pack. I might pick one up from a gen1 and see if I can modify it. That might ber the easiest way for me.

Yea i have two,one is in the tb thick flange and one is in the lower manifold under the sc.nope im working tomorrow but told them it will be half days Monday, wed and thur.im off Tuesday for the tune and i leave Friday for the trip

You close to firing her up?
Base tunes installed? Whats the hold up? What have you been doing all day (Besides working, watching your email, going to the graveyard for parts, and making sure you don't miss anything as you are carefully assembling)?

You close to firing her up?
Base tunes installed? Whats the hold up? What have you been doing all day (Besides working, watching your email, going to the graveyard for parts, and making sure you don't miss anything as you are carefully assembling)?

Haha you hit that on the head;) on my way to get oil and a belt right now.then just gota fill her up,install iac and tune;) give me about a hour or two,going to go over EVERYTHING to check

Update?
I'm sure there's a kink or two. Hopefully minor stuff.
You find a belt long enough?

ok its done:D:D:D:D:Dim WORN out!!!fired right up!in these videos i do have a vac leak tho and thats why it wouldnt idle under 800-100,the vac line to the trans came of at the trans.i went for a test drive and the trans was acting all up,found it after that.was to late and LOUD to make another vid.ill post one in the morning before i go to the dyno for final tunes.yes i found two belts that will work.thing is FREAKN AWESOME!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:Dyou can tell thats its supercharged for sure,even in these vid you can slightly hear it.it has wayyy more power now and i didnt get on it at all or take it past 2500.i have to shift my trans manually,i shifted to 2nd at 2500 wile slightly,i mean slightly in the gas and it chirped.showed 1psi at that time.you can feel the power kick in,its crazy.you will be accelerating and all of a sudden you hit about 1200-1500 and it takes off like you just gave it way more gas.oooo that sound of accelerating is soooooo beautiful :D:D:Di was seeing lower temps after the blower than i was coming into the tb.i saw 118* at tb and 103* its about 80*+ outside temps and my fan was running sitting.driving i got down in the 94* tb and about 88* after cooler with fan on
any rate here are some vid.dont mind my crazy ass or pops,o the 3rd one is long i was messing with it trying to get it to a point that it would idle.yes i know thats not how to adjust it,just needed it to run steady to get to the dyno tomorrow and all that will be adjusted properly by him.dude is super cool and honestly it ran very good for base tune and a vac leak
test fire 1,hasnt been started in months and has new rockers

test fire 2

and 3,new one with vac leak fixed ill post in the morning

:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

No matter what we do to these motors, we can't make them fire breathing monsters in our heavy trucks.

JD, once I get my exhaust and pulley tune sorted out, I'll find a dyno and do a pull. You do the same. Im betting we will have pretty good torque numbers. Were definitely not going to see dyno numbers of a V8 with the same mods though.

Congratulations JD. I'm completely impressed by your inter-cooler. You will be a lot happier after your tune.

No matter what we do to these motors, we can't make them fire breathing monsters in our heavy trucks.

JD, once I get my exhaust and pulley tune sorted out, I'll find a dyno and do a pull. You do the same. Im betting we will have pretty good torque numbers. Were definitely not going to see dyno numbers of a V8 with the same mods though.

Congratulations JD. I'm completely impressed by your inter-cooler. You will be a lot happier after your tune.

Im at the dyno now.very disappointing so far.he said my tires are making a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference in power to the ground.also said a4ld is trash.

Back