Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

3D Printer: Most unbelievable gizmo ever

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by GJarrett, August 21, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      Can't wait until they come down in price. A 3d scanner/printer would be awesome!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    4. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    5. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    6. OffTrac

OffTrac Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Dublin, GA
      '01 Sport Trac 4x4
      I'm trying to figure out why I need one to justify it to my wife. I can't think of a reason to have one that prints 5"x5" items. But I really want it. We have CAD and she's an expert (I can zoom in and out pretty efficiently); maybe she'll come up with a reason.

7. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Unless you want to make pocket sized items, or kid's toys there's no reason to get one that's so small. It will be practical when they make an affordable model which is capable of printing items 12 - 24 inches in size. Industrial sized machines need to make items much larger such as auto body fenders.

8. sirhk100

sirhk100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      las vegas
      '91
      I'm late to the party in this thread but I've been working with a 3d printer for 6 years now and I believe they bought it about 2 years before I started here so our machine is roughly 8 year old tech now. It's amazingly handy though and has saved us who knows how much money in tooling up just to find the first sample part would've been wrong and not fit correctly. Heck, my coworker right this minute is in the middle of a 50+ hour print job printing out part of a wheel. Ours is old school, lays down fine layers of ABS material that is fed out of a weedeater type spool of plastic. It also has a soluble support resin type material that it lays down to help support over hanging features since it can't print in thin air. At SEMA this past year though, we looked at the latest and greatest machine just released by the same company that makes ours and it was pretty nice. Can do all different hardness of plastics from soft spongy type stuff to rock hard type plastics. It would be really nice for when we're designing molding like around the window on your car or the molding in the door jam to have real flexible type parts for fit testing before tooling up for reals.

Some of the other types of printers out there are pretty amazing!!! Part of me wants to get one of those 3d pens just to screw around with. They're like $100 but I know I'd mess with it for a few minutes and probably never touch it again. Total novelty item in my eyes...

9. Rick

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      I can't wait until auto manufacturers bring back discontinued parts via 3d printing. They will be able to print on demand, and not house a huge inventory of bits and pieces.

10. OffTrac

OffTrac Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Dublin, GA
      '01 Sport Trac 4x4
      That's kind of why I want the Tiko. I have no real use for it but the price isn't so outrageous that I'd feel stupid for buying it after I got bored with it.

11. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    12. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    13. Rick

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      3D printed cars coming next year, startup says
      Paul A. Eisenstein
      Saturday, 11 Jul 2015 | 5:03 PM ET

[​IMG]

Forget making vases, bracelets and other trinkets. Arizona-based Local Motors plans to transform the traditional automotive world with the launch of a three dimensional (3D) printed car next year.

The company plans to build two versions of the Reload Redacted vehicle using a design that was submitted as part of a contest by Kevin Lo, an engineer living in Vancouver, Wash. Set to debut during the first quarter of 2016, it will be a low-speed battery-car, or so-called neighborhood electric vehicle, priced between $18,000 and $30,000.

A full speed vehicle is set to follow, the company said.

Forget making vases, bracelets and other trinkets. Arizona-based Local Motors plans to transform the traditional automotive world with the launch of a three dimensional (3D) printed car next year.

The company plans to build two versions of the Reload Redacted vehicle using a design that was submitted as part of a contest by Kevin Lo, an engineer living in Vancouver, Wash. Set to debut during the first quarter of 2016, it will be a low-speed battery-car, or so-called neighborhood electric vehicle, priced between $18,000 and $30,000.

A full speed vehicle is set to follow, the company said.

"At Local Motors, we are hell-bent on revolutionizing manufacturing," said John B. Rogers, Jr., CEO and co-founder of Local Motors.

"Car manufacturers have been stamping parts the same way for more than 100 years. We now have the technology to make the process and products better and faster by linking the online to the offline through DDM (Direct Digital Manufacturing). This process will create better and safer products, and we are doing exactly that."

(More in full article)
      http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/10/3d-printed-cars-coming-next-year-startup-says.html

14. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    16. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    17. Rick

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      [MENTION=42004]BrooklynBay[/MENTION] have you jumped into 3d printing yet?

I have not, but it keeps looking more and more tempting.

18. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      I was looking into getting a 3D pen since it's cheap, doesn't require computer programming, and isn't limited to a specific build size. I know that it can't produce the same quality objects as a 3D printer, but it's something to start with. I have a butane powered plastic welder for repairing things. I'm thinking that a 3D pen will work better for that purpose but I can't say at this point since I haven't tried it.

The company in post number 114 never replied to my email. It looks like they didn't have sufficient funding when they started their project so I wonder if they made any of those units.

19. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      The price on the older model pens started to drop around a half a year ago since they came out with newer versions. I found a second generation pen on EBay for $17.99 so I thought that it might be worth giving it a try.

My kitchen faucet was missing a rubber cover over the spout. Nobody sells it separately unless you buy an entire replacement spout. I used a flexible filament for the replacement cover. It's not perfect but it works. Here are the results:

Attached Files:

20. Rick

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      Is the material sandable or is it to flexible to sand?

21. Rick

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      I need a replicator. Something which can scan something, and duplicate it without a lot of tweaking in software.

22. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      The filament that I used is flexible. I made a couple of these rubber faucet covers, and found out that it's only flexible when it's very thin. It won't flex that much if you make it too thick.

There are a couple of all in one scanner/3D printer combos but from what I've read they still aren't completely perfected to make a perfect scan without tweaking the image on a computer first. The companies recommend covering the scanned object with some sort of powder or wax to help eliminate glare & reflections to increase the resolution. Most people either use a dedicated high resolution scanner or just draw a 3D model with a CAD program after taking measurements of the original object. There's a way to use a smartphone camera as the imager with the proper app but I don't know if the resolution is that great.

Any object could be sanded. I've read that acetone is used to smooth a rough object but it didn't seem to do anything for the rubber material that was used. Maybe it's only good for standard ABS or PLA which I haven't tried yet.

23. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      The 3D pen is very useful for repairing cracked plastic. I've been using a butane powered plastic welder for a while, and it's not that easy to use. It gets clogged very easily, and could only handle a small amount of plastic rod at a time. The 3D pen automatically feeds as much plastic filament as needed. It's easy to maintain a specific temperature & feeding speed plus you don't have a lot of wasted material which needs to be scraped off the tool compared to the butane welder.

One of my plastic refrigerator shelf supports cracked in 2 places. The 3D pen was able to repair it. The appearance of the material in the photo looks like hot melt glue but it's actually plastic which matches the color of the shelf.

Attached Files:

24. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      After getting more practice using the 3D pen, I was able to make an improved faucet spout cover. The old cover was too thick, and was hard to press. It wasn't a good fit, and kept popping off. This new cover is smoother, fits better, is easy to press, and doesn't pop off.

The 3D pen came in handy for filling a hole in a PVC electrical box. I was surprised at how strong the repair was. It doesn't bend or pop off even if I apply a lot of pressure with my thumb.

Attached Files:

25. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    26. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars