• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen ex irs

steelman83

Reaction score
City, State
portsmouth va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer xlt 4.0 4wd
1. Is the straight axle 8.8 virtually the same internally ? 2. Will the traction loc found in mustangs fit in the 3rd gen ex irs? I have one out of a 91 5.0 I could use. 3. Will a Mustang 8.8 rebuild kit work in the irs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All that matters is the spline count of the axles. Any 31 spline 8.8 diff, will go into your truck.

The trucks are all going to be 31 spine units, the cars are usually 28 spline(stock).

I think the diff rebuild kits will also have to match the spline count. I am not sure about the traction lock rebuild kits though, they might be the same for all of them.

Thanks I think my trac lock is a 28 spline. Is the stock unit a true track(read somewhere on here)? Is it a limited slip dif? Is it rebuildable? Thanks

Someone else can chime in but your truck is 31 spline.

The OEM option would be the traction lock, you can find that out by checking the door VIN "axle" code. Look for a two digit code like D4 etc. The other diffs, by name are all aftermarket(besides the very rare Torsen from rare Rangers).

I ended up getting the cobra 8.8 trac loc diff 31 spline from summit racing. Relatively cheap for positive traction

Back