3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement

hammeringman

Welcome aboard. Hope this helps.

(dead links)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Moderators How about a stickey on this post?

I have poor heat from the front vents even with the engine up to normal temp. It blow's fine, just not very hot.
Is this a temperature blend door actuator problem?

2002 4.6 XLT, basic front temp controls, no rear controls.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Thanks for the instructions...just wanted to say that they worked well. Similar symptoms as mentioned by others....no warm air, and clicking noise coming from behind the console.

It took approx. 3 hours to complete the process of removing and replacing the actuator. Previously, SLEB posted that you need to remove three screws for the actuator but can only get two screw when installing it.
Good news...with a long extension and a ratchet, I was able to get the 3rd screw (top) in - coming at it horizontally through the lower instrument panel ... I used a light to illuminate the screw/actuator which helped a lot.

The replacement actutaor part number was 1L2Z-19E616-CA

Just replaced the rear ABS speed sensor today as well - resolved the ABS light being lit on the dash. (it took an hour)

2002 Explorer XLT 4X4 in Canada - 322,000 km (200,000 miles)
Replaced alternator, broken rear springs (both), rear wheel bearings (twice), front bearings need replacing, rear windshield wiper motor, front passenger power window regulator, plus normal maintenance.
Overall, however, I still like the Explorer.

Thanks again for the information
...Peter

I just read your post on the 03 LH side blend door. I have an 02 explorer Eddie Bauer with dual automatic climate control.
I am getting warmer air on the passenger side. Is there a fix like the one you posted for my model and problem.

newbie with blendoor problem

hi all,

my name is vince from reading pa, i have a 2002 explorer xlt and the heater stopped working and the ac barely works. that being said when i turn the temp control from cold to hot , it just starts clicking, it used to be a banging but now just clicks.

i have been reading about the actuator and blend door replacement but i am confused as to which one is wrong with mine. there is a blend door repair kit online that gives instructions on the passengers side but i dont see the things they describe behind the glove box. can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks

vince

The blend door repair kit is for 2001 and earlier. THat's why it doesn't look like the pictures

blend door or actuator?

can anyone tell me how to tell if i have a faulty blend door or actuator? or are they the same?

can anyone tell me how to tell if i have a faulty blend door or actuator? or are they the same?

Hi Vince, The actuator is what rotates the blend door so that it allows cold air or warm air to flow out through the vents. I'm pretty sure the clicking means the gears inside the actuator are stripped out. Another poster took one apart and said it's just some crummy plastic gears inside there. If you have the manual system (not the dual controls) then this thread should help you take the actuator out. The actuator is item #8 in the pic shown in the first post in this thread. You could plug it back into the connector after you get it out and see if you can stop it from pivoting with your fingers or a pencil or something while switching between heat and ac. As I recall the actuator is about $50 from the dealer. You could get a price quote from silverstatefordparts.com. They usually beat the local dealers by about 40-50 percent, but charge $10 for S&H. Let us know how you do. Good luck.

thankyou!!!, i will check it this weekend and post progress

Vince, I had the exact same problem on my 2003 and the actuator was located
on the driver's side.....when I took it out and opened it, it's exactly what rrgone
stated....the plastic gears were broken!!! Bought one at Ford for 90$ and took about 1 hour to replace......:D

Just replaced my Temperature blend door actuator on the drivers side.
It was a PAIN in the BUTT!!!!! but I did it.
It takes a lot of work to try to get those screws out of the actual actuator. By the time I replaced the actuator and got 2 of the screws in I had had enough and called it a day.
Part cost me $70 plus tax at the local Ford dealership.
Took a total of about 3 maybe 4 hours and at least 5 cuts on my fingers.

If anyone can advise what the final step (#9) is to remove the console I would be most appreciative.

For now i was able to displace the side kick panels enough to get my hand up under the passenger side and loop a zip tie around the door sensor arm or whatever... so that when the door slams shut to COLD, i can pull on the end of the zip tie and open it back up to HOT. So for now at least i have heat...

as soon as i figure out removal of the console i will proceed to removing the dash panels and remove/replace the blend air actuator.

Once you remove ONLY Bolts: 2(x1), 5(x2), 6(x2), and 8(x2)
you should be able to slide the console towards the rear and its out. DOnt forget those little plastic fasteners at the front of the console near the floor board.
The reason I say ONLY is because I removed a few extra screws on the console that I didnt need to remove.

Feel free to ask any questions, as I Have the workshop manual at home.

Here are a few pictures I took to help out you guys.
0918080005.jpg

Here is the actual blend door actuator. Pretty tight fit between the AC/Heater unit and the dash.
0918080006-1.jpg

The actuator itself is right behind where my finger is (sorry for the cheep graphics)
The red circle shows a small opening where you can get a socket with a 6-7 inch extension in to get the top screw in and out.
0918080007.jpg

here is the view from the top, behind the stereo/vent/temp control plate. I hat to remove that to get to one of the top screws

good luck guys! Its a lot of work just trying to take things out and get them back into place.
On a scale of 1-10, 10 being a hard job (like rebuilding a transmission) I would say its about a 3.

I had the same clicking noise when I tried to turn my heat. I was able to get to the actuator and change it out however now I do not have heat or air any longer. I had the control turned all the way to cold when I installed it. I have also read where I should have had the control all the way over on heat and turned the vehicle on/hooked up the wire harness first. Any help would be much appreciated as I would prefer not to donat my money to a dealership. Thanks!

Jason

Sure. I have found a couple of sites online that when talking about fixing the actuator, rather than have the temp control turned all the way to the coldest setting as described on here, the say to do exactly the opposite and turn it to the warmest setting possible. I bought a brand new actuator and I no longer get the clicking noise but now regardless of which way the temp control is turned, the air that is being blown is the same temp. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

Jason

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

Jason

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys:
The actuator can only go in one way because the actuator piece fits into the bland door unit.

What I did before anything was turn the temperature control knob to one point (for example I turned the knob completely to the cold)
Then once I removed the broken actuator, I would plug in the new one, before installing, and make sure it moves to the where the said cold point is.
I also marked with a marker where the high point in the actuator arm was then I made sure the new one matched.

As far as it only blowing one temp:
Did you plug in the new actuator and test it first before you installed it?

I got it! I had to pull the glove box and push a couple of times on the blend door to get it moving. Once I did that, I have heat again! Thank God! Michigan is cold in the winter! Thanks for all of the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey just wanted tell you .you are my hero the pictures were just what I needed with the help of the of my wife about 2 hours reading some of the threads it amost seemed imposible thank you so much winter is not so scarey now and a whole lot warmer now thank you

Back