3rd gen Explorer Coilovers | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen Explorer Coilovers

My coilovers should be getting here tomorrow, and heim spacers/limit strap hardware on friday. Hope to get to the metal supply place before the end of this week also...I've got plenty of 1/4" plate but I need some 1/4" wall rectangular tube to build my upper and lower brackets. Over the holidays I should finally get a good break from work and have time to get a lot of the project done.

Will be starting a new thread for my build tomorrow. I'll post the link here when I do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds good, it's killing me to have everything ready, but no time to get it done.

I changed my lower mounts, didn't feel comfortable with just the tabs. So I got the ones that are 1 piece. Here's a couple pics, should be installed next week.
DSCN0054_zps04fe50ed.jpg

DSCN0051_zps89e3f55f.jpg

Looks good so far rangermidtn... excited to see this project progress!

Good idea.

Bad news, due to the shape of control arms, I am having a lot of trouble with this. I was installing one side today, but just could not get it to align the coil over. I measured from the original holes for the new mounts, but still having trouble. Well back to the drawing board. May have to redo the arms, or get some one to make me a set for coilovers.

Bad news, due to the shape of control arms, I am having a lot of trouble with this. I was installing one side today, but just could not get it to align the coil over. I measured from the original holes for the new mounts, but still having trouble. Well back to the drawing board. May have to redo the arms, or get some one to make me a set for coilovers.

When you were designing did you take into account that the lower control arms will be angled downward from the stock position? Basically you can't go straight up from the hole (with the LCA laying flat) and put your tabs above it.

If you angle the control arms to where they will be at ride height with the coilovers, draw an imaginary line from the existing strut mount hole to where your upper coilover mount will be. Then position your lower coilover tabs on top of the arm so the holes are centered on that imaginary line. This will mean the tabs are further inboard on the control arm than the original lower strut mount holes.

If you already thought of that and it didn't work, then nevermind :D

When you were designing did you take into account that the lower control arms will be angled downward from the stock position? Basically you can't go straight up from the hole (with the LCA laying flat) and put your tabs above it.

If you angle the control arms to where they will be at ride height with the coilovers, draw an imaginary line from the existing strut mount hole to where your upper coilover mount will be. Then position your lower coilover tabs on top of the arm so the holes are centered on that imaginary line. This will mean the tabs are further inboard on the control arm than the original lower strut mount holes.

If you already thought of that and it didn't work, then nevermind :D

Thats what I did. I measured up from the stock holes, made sure my tabs where they same measurement on each side. I used a little angle to get the right angle. I'll try again just need to think it over and see what I did wrong.

Could you take a picture of how its not lining up? I guess I am not picturing it in my head the right way

+1. I came straight in to post the same question;)

Edit: In length, how do the coil-overs compare to the stock struts? If the same or longer, then I can see why you are having trouble.

I took it back off once this is my daily driver, it will not sit flush against the upper strut mount so I could not get the upper bolted in to the orginal strut mounts. I have about a 1/4" gap when I try to mount them. I am going to have to cut off the mounts and adjust them for the angle of the coilover.

+1. I came straight in to post the same question;)

Edit: In length, how do the coil-overs compare to the stock struts? If the same or longer, then I can see why you are having trouble.

The coil over is 18.75" long. The strut with spacer is 23" long. I make up the other 4.25" with my mounts.

I am going to try again here soon, but I do not have a garage and with the cold and raining here all the time ansd just do not know when.

I am going to try again here soon, but I do not have a garage and with the cold and raining here all the time ansd just do not know when.

Hang in there bud! I know it is frustrating but it will be worth it in the end. I did not ever have the courage to go through with this since my Explorer is also my Daily Driver as well. Keep us posted and Good Luck!

Alright I got these on today, everything fit great except one thing, the cv was rubbing against the new tabs. So back to the drawing board, I am not sure what I am going to try to do.Here's a couple pics of what I had done.
DSCN0190_zpsabc8b37f.jpg

DSCN0188_zpsb4da2482.jpg

Alright I got these on today, everything fit great except one thing, the cv was rubbing against the new tabs. So back to the drawing board, I am not sure what I am going to try to do.Here's a couple pics of what I had done.

It looks awesome. How bad are they rubbing? Is it just a matter of slightly adjusting the tab location? Does it rub on both sides?

It looks awesome. How bad are they rubbing? Is it just a matter of slightly adjusting the tab location? Does it rub on both sides?

Boot is rubbing the new tab I welded pretty good, would tear the boot fairly easy. I think what I am going to do is move the tab out farther. This means it will run straight with the arm, I am not sure if I can do that, I know the coilover will turn easily to let me do this. You can tell by the pic how it would rub, the cv would run right ove top the lower ball joint.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it is right on the edge of the arm, put a flap over the side to help make it stronger,, kind of like are on my 2nd gen ones,,
523379_10152218241015165_231948550_n.jpg

Back