3rd generation Bumper registry | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd generation Bumper registry

A bullet....

joking... it's from an incident involving me trying to cut a larger section. it didn't work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Donner - hope you don't mind me posting these up in your thread, but I thought where else to "do a Donner"?!

Here's a little teaser of my new project for the explorer. It's nearly done, and when I've finished it, I'll post up some full pics.

Raw
Teaser_1.jpg

Painted (No.1 son wanted yellow, mum and others wanted red, so this is how I satisfied both lots!
Teaser_2.jpg

Donner - hope you don't mind me posting these up in your thread, but I thought where else to "do a Donner"?!

Here's a little teaser of my new project for the explorer. It's nearly done, and when I've finished it, I'll post up some full pics.

SKID PLATE??? I need a skid plate on mine cause I'm worried about my PS cooler getting yarded off in the middle of the winter. I have a tendency to plow snow with my front end, and that PS cooler is in a place where it would be cooled, but I'm afraid it won't hold on through the first big storm we get here.

Coool! I'm on wait again... this is such a slow process... (multiple issues with the vehicle).

well to answer the question this is about what a 3rd gen can do just dont go deeper than the lights and you will be fine.

2.jpg

3.jpg

SKID PLATE??? I need a skid plate on mine cause I'm worried about my PS cooler getting yarded off in the middle of the winter. I have a tendency to plow snow with my front end, and that PS cooler is in a place where it would be cooled, but I'm afraid it won't hold on through the first big storm we get here.

Nice guess. There is a rubber/plastic flap that protects things underneath, but I also wanted something a bit more sturdy - not so much for snow, but rocks (small ones). My cooler already has some bent fins, so hopefully this will help a bit.

Skid_Plate_1.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality - a 2 MP camera just isn't enough!

The holes are to let airflow through for coolers etc. Each hole was individually drilled - took ages, and i have cuts on 6 of my fingers from the drilling/smoothing process! Pretty happy with the end result though.

Hold up!

well to answer the question this is about what a 3rd gen can do just dont go deeper than the lights and you will be fine.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Explain the hood? Double? Where, how? Thanks! :)

yea i get crap all the time about the hood its just to scoops from pepboys about 40 apiece i think and the there are connected to a custom cold air intake that a made with stuff from auto zone.

oh yea and i wouldn spend to much time in water or u get a swamp in the floor board.

Nice! Intimidating too...

yea suprising just by modify the intake and exhaust the trucks have quite a bit of power to them im 2-0 with beating srt 10 and 1-1 with mustang gts

Good work on the skid plate... Yet another thing I'm in the process of doing...
So many projects so little time....

We need undercarriage pumpkin protectors :)

what did you make the skid plates out of? how much do they weigh and how did you mount them? they look sick tho just might have to make mine a set. the cooler doesnt like sand too much and they should help out a bit more then the plastic flap thats there

what did you make the skid plates out of? how much do they weigh and how did you mount them? they look sick tho just might have to make mine a set. the cooler doesnt like sand too much and they should help out a bit more then the plastic flap thats there

It's 3mm aluminium plate. Size is 600mm long, and 500mm wide. I then tapered the front a bit and drilled each 16mm hole by hand (well, using a power drill - but hand held one, not bench mounted drill press which would have been easier). I haven't weighed it, but I reckon it would be less than 1.5kg (around 3lb).

It's held on by 2 x 4mm high tensile steel bolts that go into the suspension cross member (there are 2 square cutouts under cross member, which makes getting a spanner or socket in nice and easy, so I lined up the bolt position with those cutouts). The front is held on by 2 x 8mm bolts that replace the plastic push in things that hold the little chin spolier onto the front bar, and as you can see, I have the plate wedged between the front bar and the little chin spoiler. The front bar at that point is held to 2 brackets that are part of the frame, so it's quite a good, firm spot.

There's around 12 hours work in that - first thing I did was make a cardbaord template to get all measurements for where I need to bend the plate, drill the mounting holes etc so that it would fit just right.

Paint...

Okay, a little more diamond plate :D:thumbsup: The stuff is fun to add... Just need to paint a few areas... I want that skid plate to be semi-gloss black...

Attachments

• IMGA0486.JPG
    IMGA0486.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 502
  • IMGA0485.JPG
    IMGA0485.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 514
  • IMGA0484.JPG
    IMGA0484.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 504
  • IMGA0479.JPG
    IMGA0479.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 520

Were you planning to add a body lift at anytime? Just thought about this, but if you do your bumpers would be too low.

I'm going after the skid plate first... the wheels have to stay on the shiny side... maybe that panel on the back hatch that cracks, all diamond plate, nah :)

I did consider it...

Were you planning to add a body lift at anytime? Just thought about this, but if you do your bumpers would be too low.

I had to drop the idea over the last few days... but that is something I wanted to do for some time now...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going after the skid plate first... the wheels have to stay on the shiny side... maybe that panel on the back hatch that cracks, all diamond plate, nah :)

Funny you say that - mine is cracked, and I was thinking of using 1mm Aluminium or steel sheet (primed and painted, of course), but black checkerplate would look great, IMO. I love the strips on the doors, but painted to match the fender flares would look better, again, IMO.

Back