4.0 Exhaust Clip Thread ! | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 Exhaust Clip Thread !

mine is the flowmaster super 40, and it sounds nice, my only problem is it's dumped so it takes away from my power due to lack of back pressure. on that note, i will be betting duals run out of the back of the muffler next week, i was thinking. 2.25 inch piping for the duals, can anyone say aye or nay on this subject, i have to get duals run because of the muffler set up so having a single pipe is not an option. i was considering the 2.25 to regain the lost back pressure, or should i go smaller since i'm running duals?

THanks,
Justin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i got single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters and they are 2 1/2 inch piping i was thinkin of putting 3 inch but people told me i would lose back pressure and power

mine is the flowmaster super 40, and it sounds nice, my only problem is it's dumped so it takes away from my power due to lack of back pressure. on that note, i will be betting duals run out of the back of the muffler next week, i was thinking. 2.25 inch piping for the duals, can anyone say aye or nay on this subject, i have to get duals run because of the muffler set up so having a single pipe is not an option. i was considering the 2.25 to regain the lost back pressure, or should i go smaller since i'm running duals?

THanks,
Justin

i used to have 2" duals on mine and i STILL had less torque than i do with my single 2.5" now. from what i can tell, single exhaust seems to be the best option for the V6's, but if you HAVE to get duals i would definitely go around 2" (dual 2" is roughly the same as having a single pipe at ~2.83" going by pipe diameter alone and not accounting for exhaust velocity, pressure, friction or other fluid dynamics)

i got my Delta 40 on ebay for around $85 free shipping, i also got a magnaflow y pipe for about $35 free shipping at the same time, pipe and install was around $70 at a local shop

what about rust? under what conditions does this happen?

what about rust? under what conditions does this happen?

not too sure about rust, but i know flowmaster has a 3 year warranty on aluminized mufflers and 10 year on stainless steel mufflers, you'd have to check with your exhaust shop to see if they offer a warranty on their piping - i DO know that my thrush glasspacks were RUSTY AS CRAP when i had them chopped off the week before last.... and they were only about a year old, but then again, they were painted and the paint was LONG gone - i'm sure aluminized steel would last much longer and stainless would last almost indefinitely i would imagine

can someone tell me what is the difference between aluminized steel and steel mufflers?

Aluminized steel is just steel that has an aluminum coating. The aluminum doesn't rust as quickly as plain mild steel, but doesn't last as long as stainless.

i used to have 2" duals on mine and i STILL had less torque than i do with my single 2.5" now. from what i can tell, single exhaust seems to be the best option for the V6's, but if you HAVE to get duals i would definitely go around 2" (dual 2" is roughly the same as having a single pipe at ~2.83" going by pipe diameter alone and not accounting for exhaust velocity, pressure, friction or other fluid dynamics)

so by doing 2" duals i should regain back a lot of back pressure...? i mean i'm not expecting it to be amazing, but it would be a lot better then it being dumped before the axle i assume?

so by doing 2" duals i should regain back a lot of back pressure...? i mean i'm not expecting it to be amazing, but it would be a lot better then it being dumped before the axle i assume?

it would be a lot better than dumping before the axle, also having more pipe might help with scavenging depending on your muffler. it would probably help a lot with interior resonance as well, cuz with my experience, dumps before the axle are nice and LOUD at any speed - if you wanted to go even smaller, you could go with dual 1.75", and that could be comparable to a single 2.5" pipe, (once again, based on pipe diameter alone and not other fluid dynamics) that would certainly get you the 'backpressure' you're looking for, and it would still be better than the stock single 2" tailpipe. not sure if i've ever seen an X with dual 1.75" pipes though, lol

someone please correct me if i'm wrong in any of this, i'm just going by what i've learned on my own.

I can personally attest that running dual pipes will lose you back pressure thus low end power. I ran dual 2.25" pipes (press bent so this was smaller) but when I changed to a single 2.5" pipe, it ran fine

Even dumping a 2.5" pipe ran fine. The only thing I noticed running a tail pipe was interior noise

Was playing around with the EX the other day and recorded this. I like the rasp. Yeah the wires are hanging down, I keep stuffing them back up but i need to do something permanent.

Was playing around with the EX the other day and recorded this. I like the rasp. Yeah the wires are hanging down, I keep stuffing them back up but i need to do something permanent.

now see, that's just enough rasp to be ok... it's not all poppy and ricey sounding. sounds nice to me! i love how the 4.0 has such a trademark sound :D listen to everyone's exhaust clips and even though they're different, you can tell they have that certain 4.0 sound to them that other V6's dont have

Yeah, I like it and it didnt cost me anything besides a couple of sticks of weld. It's mellow and quit at idle and cruising speeds but it gets loud and sounds like an old road-racing car when you let it rip. I'll remake the in-car sound clip since the other one is crappy.

Now to wait for another two years so i can yank the cat :cool::thumbsup:

@ the posts above -
Running a dual exhaust without an "H" or "X" pipe will drastically reduce power and torque due to a lack of back pressure which actually makes the exhaust gases move slower. Plus, it'll sound cooler :D

As promised.
removed for editing, sorry.

does anyone recommend the best roller lifters for 95 ford explorer 4.0

Lol shen I love yours it sounds like a mix between a go-kart and a dirt bike, but with V6 authority.

Haha yeah, It kinda does. Sure makes the ricers want to race it though, i let them cause it's funny hearing them struggle and miss gears and stuff. I'm going to take it off to patch a couple spots we missed when we welded it, thinking of removing the cat and putting a straight pipe in it's place...

so for a 95 can i get a 2.5 inlet with a 3 inch dual outlet or no i cant??

or can i get a 2.5 in ,2.5 out and modify some 3 inch tips?? help me lol:D

so for a 95 can i get a 2.5 inlet with a 3 inch dual outlet or no i cant??

or can i get a 2.5 in ,2.5 out and modify some 3 inch tips?? help me lol:D

depends on what muffler you're looking at. many brands and models have different muffler configurations to look at. also, running dual exhaust on the explorers can be difficult if not done correctly, i used to have dual 2" tailpipes on mine and my axle hit the pipes if i came close to bottoming out... if your truck is lifted this may not be a problem.

as far as performance goes i personally dont like the idea of duals on the V6. i know they look and (sometimes) sound good, but my single 2.5" exhaust gives me much more torque than my 2" duals or 2.25" dual dumped glasspacks ever did, without losing any top-end
if you want LOUD exhaust a single 2.5" to dual 3" will give you that but with pipes that big performance is gonna be CRAP on a V6...... and you may get a bunch of "ragged" popping sound. some people like that, but i'm personally not a fan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back