4.0 Exhaust Clip Thread ! | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 Exhaust Clip Thread !

Has anyone tried the 80 series Flowmasters? On their website they put one on a MR2 spider with an I-4 and i think it was a 1.8l, but it sounds MEAN, im thinking it would sound really great on a 4.0l V-6.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that, my friend, is an EPIC FAILURE

Yar.. we need large LARGE straight through mufflers before the actual mufflers to keep the rasp tame on a N/A motor.. now with a little spinny thingy it sounds like a beast!

I heard someone said the throttle response is a lot better without cat's..

Not sure how that would work out, but I'm going to assume it would be similar in results to running a single in, dual out muffler. Finding the proper pipe diameter is crucial, especially with the duals. On my frontier, dual 2.25" pipes was just perfect for me, gained both on the top and low end, but my Frontier makes significantly more power. If you really want to go with duals, I would say to go with 2" pipe out the back. If you notice a loss of low end torque, wrap the system with header wrap from the after cat pipes back to the tips. The header wrap will help to keep the exhaust gases hot, and moving quickly. Can't guarantee that the wrap will restore all your lost low end torque, but it should help. Although another option is a high temp coating like they dip headers in.

Dan

i don't know about the header wrap because i haven't tried it, but i know that i have single in dual out with 2 inch pipe from the muffler back, and compared to stock i'm a honda civic. i'm hoping to get another muffler installed soon with a single 2.5 inch out. header wrap may solve your problems, but compared to stock with the duals, the 4.0 is a dog.

Gibson

To anyone out there willing to invest in a full cat back system, autotruckpart.com has the stainless steel gibson exhaust for 314 shipped. To be honest that is a 108 in savings. Will post up sound clips once I get decent ones, but by far from going through just about every page on this thread and listening to what each sounds like worth every dollar. start up has a nice clean deep tone, cabin noise is there but not extreme. low end torque gain is great, I have a few other mods to help my exploader breathe but was surprised to see how much more I got from just exhaust. Next stop TMH.

Have another soundclip of my frontier, I know, not an explorer, but its still a 4.0, though its a DOHC. This is with the cherry bomb cat back system with the vortex muffler and resonator. Its a dual 2.25" in, single 3" outlet. I had a similar set up about a year and a half ago, but with the stock 2.5" tail pipe and no resonator. It was a little on the loud side for me, but this is a good bit quieter and the performance is better with the bigger 3" tailpipe. I did see they offered some kits for the explorers. So, anyway, here is the clip:
http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff46/hunterdan_2002/?action=view&current=VID00078.flv

Dan

so hunter do u got single exhaust now or is it still true duals

Its single now because i couldn't stand the drone from the dual set up I had. Got tired of all the noise. So for now its quieter, sounds better and performs the same if not better.

do u have to change ur signature now cause it says true dual flowmaster 40 on it

I'm planning to put on a 70 series and leave all the stock pipes. Does anyone know specific part # to order? I'm unsure on if I need center in/out or which configuration.

'07 4.0. Thanks.

So Ive decided to try a new test

Explorer has 123+ miles now. I want to see if different exhaust setups have effect on this motor. Ive been running the super 40 catless for a while now, but I know the SOHC likes backpressure. I want to see what adding a highflow cat and turbo muffler will do (besides kill all my sound).

All this week I will run my current set up (off road Y pipe 2.5", Flowmaster super 4 muffler, single 2.5" tip) then change it to my set up that I use for "close to stock" sound (off road Y pipe, single Magnaflow high flow cat, turbo-style muffler cheap from advance auto, single 2.5" tailpipe out) All my other mods are in my sig. I will report later when I get data

I read an article a while back that said the motor doesn't need backpressure, it needs exhaust scavenging..
So based on that article it would be best to keep small pipe diameters (2,5" single) and open mufflers..

From everything I read, this motor likes back pressure which is why I switched from duals to a single 2.5” pipe. I could tell the low end was lost with the duals.

I will be performing my experience the “old fashioned” way since I do not own a fancy scan guage or anything. I will run it down til I get a fuel light, fill it up, run it down again and divide how long I went by how many gallons used. I will then swap out muffler for a high flow cat and restrictive turbo muffler and do the same test. After this, I may swap out the restrictive muffler for the fully open Hooker Max Flo and do the same. Since I am trying to save as much as possible, Im hoping to find which set up will save the most money gas wise.

From everything I read, this motor likes back pressure which is why I switched from duals to a single 2.5” pipe. I could tell the low end was lost with the duals.

I will be performing my experience the “old fashioned” way since I do not own a fancy scan guage or anything. I will run it down til I get a fuel light, fill it up, run it down again and divide how long I went by how many gallons used. I will then swap out muffler for a high flow cat and restrictive turbo muffler and do the same test. After this, I may swap out the restrictive muffler for the fully open Hooker Max Flo and do the same. Since I am trying to save as much as possible, Im hoping to find which set up will save the most money gas wise.

any update on this, Did you find anything out?

Justin

I found that the police dont like it when you dont run a muffler so I put it back on.... Luckily I escaped a ticket by explaining that I had torn it off in the mountains that day and was heading home and that I had one at home to put on :D

any update on this, Did you find anything out?

Justin

Justin,
I actually gathered all the parts - I just now need to install them. It's hard because of time constraint and I love the flowmaster sound too much

I ran a test and right now I am getting 16.5 mpg. This is a mix of highway and city driving - mostly city though.

I will see about making the swap this weekend and seeing how much the motor likes it.

Am going to the exhaust shop on Sat picked up a cherry bomb vortex its the single 2.5 in and out and am going cat back with 2.5" pipes

here we go its raining out so i wasnt able to get the under shot once its better out i will get a better audio clip of it its has the nice grumble to it and you can here it when you floor it
th_video-2010-04-17-14-48-30-1.jpg

sounds good but u should rev it more or do a drive by sound clip

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah once its stops raining

Back