4.0 Exhaust Clip Thread ! | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 Exhaust Clip Thread !

Xplorer82- Magnaflow bolt ons... can you explain this more? Magnaflow bolt on cats or what? Either way it sounds nice. I always wondered what those Edelbrock mufflers sounded like everytime I see them in the summitracing.com catalog

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Xplorer82- Magnaflow bolt ons... can you explain this more? Magnaflow bolt on cats or what? Either way it sounds nice. I always wondered what those Edelbrock mufflers sounded like everytime I see them in the summitracing.com catalog

thanks man. you to Sam.

yes bolt on cats. i got a pretty good deal on them and couldnt pass it up cause my old ones were done for basically. as a bonus i got $100 for scraping the old ones :).

i was always wondering the same thing about the edelbrock. my choices were hooker max flow, hooker aero chamber or edelbrock. since i seen vids of the hookers on 4.0 explorer's (some being yours) and none on the edelbrock, i went that route to see for myself. i like it, has a nice sound to it. i still want to try the max flow tho :(, next on the list.

i need to get a sound clip of my flowmasters

here is a quick vid i took today after i cleaned my Spectre air filter as well as the MAF and IAT since i was in that area. it is from my cell phone again since it was a spur of the moment vid so the quality is not excellent, but you get the point :).

and yes you do Sam, i want to hear them flowmasters!!!

th_0619001818.jpg

one of these days i try to get a sound clip i need to ask my friend if i can borrow his digital camera

I see this thread is kind of old.. Hopefully somebody finds this! lol.. I have a Hooker Areochamber muffler laying around and was thinking about putting it on my 97 (OHV) with a Summit 2.5 pipe and factory cat and manifolds. I'm hessitant to put it on because I dont know how loud it will be. I want a good "baught" sound but I dont want to tick off the wife or the baby lol. Does anyone know what this would sound like?

I see this thread is kind of old.. Hopefully somebody finds this! lol.. I have a Hooker Areochamber muffler laying around and was thinking about putting it on my 97 (OHV) with a Summit 2.5 pipe and factory cat and manifolds. I'm hessitant to put it on because I dont know how loud it will be. I want a good "baught" sound but I dont want to tick off the wife or the baby lol. Does anyone know what this would sound like?

Ive heard the aerochamber sounds similar to the flowmaster 40 delta series. With that being said, the muffler can get loud, but nothing crazy ess. if you're using mostly stock piping and a single tip. Check out youtube. They have a ton of videos

Ok guys, I have a 96 V6 Sport 4x4 Explorer.

Which exhaust should I look at for that nice deep growl?

you could strap a doberman to the frame
dog-308.jpg

sorry couldn't resist... the problem with your question is that you will get about as many answers as there are mufflers. Everyone has their own opinion of what sounds good.

Ok guys, I have a 96 V6 Sport 4x4 Explorer.

Which exhaust should I look at for that nice deep growl?
There are tons of sound clips in this thread. Find one that sounds good and try to replicate it.

Does anyone have the magnaflow 15718 kit (or custom work using a magnaflow muffler) on a 02-05 explorer V6 4.0L?

I have heard it on a v8, but not a v6. There are even some videos of this exact system on the 4.6L v8 on youtube - but none for the v6 which can use the same system.

If so, do you have a video or sound clip that I can hear?

I just got the system delivered yesterday and am crossing my fingers that it will sound good - deep tones, but not too loud and not ricey.

I have a magnaflow system on my '08 corvette and it sounds great - but of course that is a v8.

Thanks!

I dont think it is possable to make a 4.0 sound ricey lol. Even if you put a fart can on it it would have a groan to it I would imagine, but I certainly do not advise ever disgracing any kind of suv with one of those.

I dont think it is possable to make a 4.0 sound ricey lol. Even if you put a fart can on it it would have a groan to it I would imagine, but I certainly do not advise ever disgracing any kind of suv with one of those.

you'd be surprised. search around a bit, there are a few members that have ended up w/a ricey sound (in their opinions). i dont remember what threads i read them in or which mufflers were involved but none the less it has happened.

you'd be surprised. search around a bit, there are a few members that have ended up w/a ricey sound (in their opinions). i dont remember what threads i read them in or which mufflers were involved but none the less it has happened.
When I had the magnaflow on my OHV sport it sounded good for a little bit, then it got to sound ricey to me. But thats just my opinion and others have had better luck with them.

Dan

A freind of mine has an F-150 Herritage with a V-8 (not sure which). He simply cut the mufflers out and straight piped it useing the factory cats and that truck sounds sweet. Not too loud but has a nice tone to it. I'm still worried about putting the aero chamber on my OHV after hearing about this ricey sound issue.. I dont think that muffler would do that tho..

flowmaster 50 for me. not too loud and still beefy.

flowmaster 50 for me. not too loud and still beefy.

I had the 50 series on my truck. I didn't like it at all. Super 40 Flowmaster is what I like the best out of all the mufflers i tried

I still haven't gotten around to doing this but planning on it this weekend.

I will just be replacing the stock muffler with a flowmaster, no intention on upgrading to 2.5" pipes. I just want it to sound a little louder but not too much.

So, I have been doing some research (here and other places) and have heard that the 50 series delta flow is actually quieter than the 70 series. I'm stuck on which one to get. Any advice?

I am looking at both of them and can't really tell a difference between the two when watching the video clips.

The 70 should be quieter. What I have heard is that the 70 will sound about the same on the outside, while having little to no interior noise. You might still get a rumble on the inside, but not enough to drive you crazy while on the highway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And if i understand correctly, of all the 50 series options available, the delta flow would be the quietest? It is cheaper than the 70 that's why I'm asking. I do drive a lot of highway miles and need to be able to hold a conversation.

Back