• Register Today It's free!

4.0 intake manifolds?

theSpoon

Reaction score
City, State
Plantsville, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
Well see, the thing is I'd like to replace those two black pipes on top of the SOHC motor, The ones near the TB where it splits into two. I'm not 100% sure what the whole engine looks like underneath all of that. Also I can't seem to find any aftermarket intake manifolds. just the dorman one http://www2.partstrain.com/store/index.php?N=2536+1616+10333+4294965584+782 which I couldn't find by searching the forum. Is there anything I can do to replace those pipes or even the whole intake manifold? and also would that dorman part fit my 97 sport?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've not heard of any replacement intake manifolds for a SOHC motor. It's not a very popular thing to do.

-Joe

The only complete intake manifold replacement I know of for the 4.0L SOHC is this type:
:D
http://www.explorerexpress.com/xcharger-9701-explorer-sohc-with-tuner-p-777.html

CA%20spec%20X-C.jpg

(this is the Mustang version)

there are different styles of intake manifolds made thru-out the evolution of the 4.0 SOHC but there is little to no reason to use one for the other. Basically, the ones you get on the explorer (I know of two different types) are designed for a heavier vehicle. The mustang has a different version made for it - no reason to try and use this as a lot of things would have to be changed.

Bottom line is, the intakes are designed very well from the factory. There's not much room for improvement with a stock motor so concentrate on something that is known to increase perfromance like the airfilter intake, cat back exhaust, smaller crank pulley, electric fan or a different tune from an SCT XCAL.

The Mustang 4.0L intake is very close in design to my '01 Sport intake and the Sport Trac/Ranger intakes. The Mustang runners are almost identical, but the TB is centered instead of angled toward the side, and some other minor things. I agree though, there isn't much point in changing the intake manifold for any other style, since they all perform similarly.

My intake:
2440736_07_full.jpg

Mustang intake:
ford_mustang_v6_coupe_2009_other_engine.jpg

So the mustang intake will fit though? It's stupid but I really just don't like the way the intake looks on my ex, If it performs the same it won't bother me. My intake looks nothing like that I have two tubes on each side that bow out from the center.

Edit: are the 4.0 intakes interchangeable between the years? I just want to rid myself of the one i have, the ones in your engine look much cleaner and I'm planning on cleaning up my engine bay a bit.

You want to attempt to swap your intake because you don't like the way it looks??!! OK, lets just ignore the fact that the engineers spent literally thousands of hours developing an intake that provides optimum performance over a wide range of operating conditions, loads, weathers, etc. No, it looks funky, so I'm gonna replace it... Yeah, that makes perfect sense....

I'm sorry you feel that way. Its my truck so why do you care what I do with it? if you don't like what I wana do, don't do it yourself. I just want to know if I can change my intake manifold with one from a newer truck or mustang not get ridiculed for my personal preferences.

Well, good luck with that one. Let us know how it works for you.

The Mustang intake will not work because the Throttle Body points forward instead of over to the side. It'll position the Explorer TB and clean air tube too far forward to fit under the hood. The Mustang TB is throttle-by-wire, so can't work with your Explorer.

The one-piece Explorer intake like mine will bolt on just fine, but you'll have to figure out all the wiring, vac line re-routing and possibly modifying the EGR tube. The TB with this intake also has larger OD than yours, so the newer style clean air tube will have to be used too.

I wouldn't try this on my daily driver. For a project that can be down for awhile, why not? You could always put the original parts back on...as long as you don't cut stuff. If you try it, post up how it turns out.

thank you thats what I needed to know. I'll probably set aside a weekend to try this

The intake does matter if you want to use a 4.6 throttle body. On my '01 Sport with the newer intake it will not bolt up as they changed to a plastic TB of a different size. Because of this i have the TB and it won't work unless I decided to switch to the older intake.

Back