1. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4.0 ohv performance rebuild

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by Sebastian Vance, May 1, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Sebastian Vance

Sebastian Vance New Member

City, State:
      Spartanburg, SC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      96 Explorer
      I recently hrydrolocked my motor(4.0 ohv) and believe I bent a rod because the engine won't turn over by the crank with the plugs removed. So I figured it would be a good opportunity to do a full overhaul on my 300k+ mile motor. And while I'm in there, may as well go all out! So my plan from reading posts from you guys, is as follows: my 95tm block bored as little as possible, comp 422 cam, my 95tm heads checked and milled for 988 springs by a shop, and mildly p&p by yours truly, along with the lower intake, 91tm pistons to up the compression, New crank, bearings, all seals and all gaskets. And of course a snorkel to prevent this happening again. I have a few questions that I need help with though. I have read that the 91tm pistons are heavier than mine. Do I need to get the corresponding year crankshaft to properly balance the engine? Will I immediately need a tune before I can drive it? And are there any other issues that I will run into? Its a 96 with obd2. And how long before I can rag on it again? I love my offloading.Thank you for your help and I'm sure i will have more questions as I go along.

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Naasau

Naasau Active Member

City, State:
      Denver Colorado
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '93 Explorer XLT
      Bump.

I have no idea but I am interested in the answers that may be provided. I'm in a somewhat similar situation due to a rollover accident. Only I'm combo-ing with a body swap from donor.