Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4.0 OHV & SOHC Go Fast Goodies!!

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by Rick, December 12, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. tjsxplodr

tjsxplodr Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Idaho
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1991 Ford Explorer XLT
      Whats moranav6??

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. mr cribb

mr cribb US Army Retired Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Claremore, OK
      94 Z71,
      in this thread.... page 1 post #6 there is a link to it.

4. tjsxplodr

City, State:
      Idaho
      1991 Ford Explorer XLT
      Ah thx. Not much for our stock 4.0l's.....be better to swap in a 5.0l. .. Too bad im not that inclined.

5. mr cribb

City, State:
      Claremore, OK
      94 Z71,
      I agree TJ.... I'm not that inclined myself, nor would my wife allow it. But an upgraded V6 I might be able to convince her on.

I'd prob do the 410 cam and upgraded heads/ intake, toss a set of headers on it and be done. Seeing as mine is a 2wd 5 speed I don't NEED a whole lot of power and I kinda NEED my A/C for the southern summers.

To put in a 302 deleting the A/C is easiest to make for more room in the already cramped engine bay. Then I'd have to put in a F150 5 speed trans to bolt up to the 302... Then there's the little crap that'd nickel and dime me to death.

6. tjsxplodr

City, State:
      Idaho
      1991 Ford Explorer XLT
      Yeah, its just not worth it. I've thought about just buying the V8 explorer, but I'd still have the same issue I am having now with my 94, and that is an automatic tranny. Guess I'm just gonna have to wait and see what happens.

I'd like to do some engine upgrades, I've been told tho that it doesn't make much difference with the 4.0 OHV engine.

7. mr cribb

City, State:
      Claremore, OK
      94 Z71,
      Yeah when I got mine there was a 93 sport auto and the 4 door 5 speed I got, I already have an issue with automatic trans.... doesn't matter what it's in.... it has ALWAYS given me an issue... I attempt to buy 5 speed if I can. Hence why I won't buy anymore NEW cars since the "GENERAL PUBLIC" groans at seeing a stick shift...hell I get excited!!:D

Yeah I know what you mean the OHV isn't a powerhouse, but you could always buy a mustang gt and have all the power you want and keep your X too!

8. tjsxplodr

City, State:
      Idaho
      1991 Ford Explorer XLT
      How hard was it for u to change trannies? Did u do any kind of writeup on it?

Ya id love to get another mustang but funds r just not here to do so at least for now.

9. mr cribb

City, State:
      Claremore, OK
      94 Z71,
    10. tjsxplodr

City, State:
      Idaho
      1991 Ford Explorer XLT
      Ahh ok. I had a factory five speed.....but did the stupid thing and traded it in for a new car that i no longer have.
      i might try to sell mine for a five speed if i end up not being able to swap.

Last edited: October 13, 2011
    11. htrdlncn

htrdlncn Active Member

City, State:
      Lake Travis,Texas
      01 X-Sport
      How fast you wanna go is followed by how much money ya got?
      With enough money anything can be made fast,
      There is no cheap way to get a 4000lb SUV with a 200hpV6 or 215hp V8
      to go fast, considering most new cars are MUCH faster than a stock explorer you have to spend good money just to keep up with them..
      My last two cars were an 11.7 second 1990 Lincoln LSC, a 12.00 sec 2004GTO,
      they both weighed 3800lbs, took me over 10k and a couple years to get the Lincoln to run that fast took me under 1500 and one weekend to get the GTO to go that fast
      DOnt even wanna know how much money and work Jakee has in his not to mention the fact he has the ability to do it..
      :D

12. tjsxplodr

City, State:
      Idaho
      1991 Ford Explorer XLT
      Definitely don't have THAT much to spend!! I was thinking some headers, maybe some port work on the engine, new exhaust system too. That is down the road though, gotta get my tranny swapped out first, thats if I wind up being able to do so.

13. tjsxplodr

City, State:
      Idaho
      1991 Ford Explorer XLT
      Well, I've decided that I'm gonna do the swap. I have already bought a 5 speed starter. Next is a trip to the junkyard probably in two weeks when I get paid. Hopefully I can find some more small parts. that's how i'm going to do it, small parts first, then come the bigger ones :)

Eventually I'll dig the engine stuff.

14. QueenCitySleeper

QueenCitySleeper Active Member

'99 Sport
      sohc cast headers to ohv?

this may be a dumb question, but does anyone know if the sohc 4.0 cast headers will work on the 4.0 ohv cylinder heads? Im looking to do an exhaust on my soon to be top end built motor, but i want to retain some good back pressure. Also Im going to run a Borla muffler with no cats, any advice on what diameter pipe? I was thinking either 2.25" or 2.5" single, not duals.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. WoodyEdmiston

WoodyEdmiston New Member

City, State:
      Tyler, tx
      99 Ranger 97 Explorer
      New, old member here. I'm in the middle of building the OHV into what most guys on this and other threads are considering...ported heads, cam, unshrouded valves, large dish 99 pistons for lower compression (in my heads) standard bore and stroke and an intercooled, turbo with a small amount of boost. Then there is the rebuilt transmission, the 8.8 Explorer axle with welding and a rebuild for peace of mind. (Not my first or last engine rebuild fyi - been doing this a long time)

I have spent a basketfull of money.

There is more to spend if you have an auto - most of them won't take boosted torque for long. The stick shift trans from Mazda that Ford used are not exactly Trimec's either. But, I'm not building a racer, I'm just making all the running gear in this truck new or improved. Still a boosted 4.0 has more than enough torque to bust things depending upon how you drive it.

I'm also shopping for another Explorer as a third car. It is amazing how many $600 soon-to-be hunting lease Explorers are out there with both 5.0 and 4.6 engines. For 2200-3000 in Texas you can find licensed and registered rust-free Explorers. (see any Texas Craigslist)

The wiring and 5.0 from an Explorer would convert my Ranger to a V8 for which race parts, 800-1000 horsepower (auto) transmissions are plentiful. If you are talking stick shift even more stuff bolts up to the 5.0 - most of it cheap plentiful and available at the wrecking yards.

I swear I have already spent more money on this truck than if I had bought a 5.0 Explorer, a pair of ported heads and a $350 shortblock, and put Mustang intake upgrades on the engine and bolted a C6 or something like that to it. If I remember right the 99 Mustang 5.0 could get close to 500hp with the right stuff - I'd settle for whatever

I'm going to finish the project as I started it. But think about the difference in price and availability of 4.0 rebuild parts vs. the 5.0's instant torque and hp. The V8 swap even it is more $ is dollars better spent if your are going for the big numbers - at least that's how it's looking to me from this end of the checkbook.

16. Sam2011

Sam2011 New Member

City, State:
      California
      2011 Ford Ranger
      Would be happy with 207hp

I don't get it. I had several 2001 4.0 engines that had lots of power. When I bought a 2011 4.0 Ranger it is severely lacking in the power department. If Ford intentionally de-tuned it, it shouldn't be advertised as 207hp. Can the engine tune be re-flashed to the 2001 tune? I doubt I could just stuff in a PCM out of a 2001 as I'm sure there's way more crap being controlled on my later model. I had a 2005 Mustang with the 4.0 and the Ford dealer re-flashed it to 2010 tune which was an improvement. Anybody got any experience to share along this line???

17. Swordfish94x

Swordfish94x New Member

City, State:
      CA
      1996 4dr 2wd Explorer

All about gearing

18. Sam2011

Sam2011 New Member

City, State:
      California
      2011 Ford Ranger
      Would be happy with 207hp

I completely agree that gearing definitely helps! Still though, where did the horse power go? There's no low end power either. My 2001 & 2002 would never roll back on a slight hill in drive. My 2011 feels like it has a high stall converter allowing it to roll back on a simple driveway the second I come off the brake. All this was checked out as a warranty issue at the Ford dealer and they claim its normal!!!! So was it an intentional de-tuning? Just trying to figure out what happened.