and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4.0 SOHC plastic thermostat housing

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by snookered, March 13, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. snookered

snookered New Member

City, State:
      Louisiana
      Year and Model:
      1998 Explorer XLT (FREE!)
      JOEZ33-
      "Work in progress update: I received the RH144 lower housing. It should work fine, and uses TWO sensors just like the original- however they are a "push in" style sensor instead of the original "screw in" sensors. This means I gotta buy two new sensors.

Here's a breakdown of the parts needed to make this all work. RH144 (lower housing) $37, RG-614 (lower seal) $5, SW6146 (temp switch) $19, DY1004 (temp sensor) $22, sensor locking clips $7 each, and your old thermostat will drop right into the new housing.

By doing this it will be upgraded to a 2002 Sport trac version of the coolant housing. My old one is starting to leak around the metal sleeve that holds the threads which the threaded sensors screw into. The upgraded one no longer uses threads, and eliminates that possibility of leaks.

Again remember- I have NOT completed this modification yet, but am committed to following through. I'll keep posted on any new information."

"ALL FINISHED

It worked out perfectly. Cost me about $100 instead of 300. Now I'm also upgraded to the new style design which should last even longer than the original.

Just so everyone knows, DO NOT use the RH165 outlet/upper half it will NOT fit. It has the wrong angle and the hose will not line up. What you have to do is pop the brass bushings out of the old upper outlet so that it will fit on the new lower housing. The new lower housing has the alignment bushings protruding upward and into the upper half. It fits perfectly, if you want a new top half then buy one for the old style 1998 and then pop the bushings out.

Basically to recap, the stock lower housing was cracked and FORD only sells it as a huge Friking assembly with all kinds of unneeded parts like the sensors, upper half, thermostat and charges over $300 for it, AFTER they order it and mark it up 100% like all stealerships. They really need to sell the 1998 lower half by itself just like the one I bought.

My answer to ford was to buy just the new style lower half for $37, ONLINE and not at a stealership. Then I transferred the existing thermostat, upper half and upper seal from the old to the new housing. The new RH144 lower housing uses o-ring style push in temp sensors. This forced me to buy two new sensors. The new sensors don't screw in, they push in and use a metal spring clip to hold them in.

Those metal clips are only sold at the dealer, which is why they cost $7.00 each! They are basically about 1/4 the size of a paper clip and made of spring steel. All they do is slide into a slot that holds the temp sensors from popping out. They look like something you'd find in the "Help" section of the parts store for 50 cents."

I think this fix is worthy of being a sticky. Moderators?

Part from dealership- $300+

JOEZ33 repair- $100

Quotes taken from http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174531&page=2

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. JOEZ33

JOEZ33 Active Member

City, State:
      The PIZZEL, FL
      Year and Model:
      98 Eddie Bauer
      Well my vote is obviously for adding this as a sticky. There have been numerous posts questioning this repair, since this part is now starting to break on all of our late 90's SOHC engines. So far every post I've seen ends up with someone buying a used junkyard thermostat housing that's just waiting to fail.

I'm all for upgrading to new design improvements, especially while saving $200 at the same time/only paying 1/3 of the expected cost.

Mine's still working great, made a few trips to the keys so far with no problems.

4. tryanellis

tryanellis New Member

City, State:
      Pinson,Al
      Year and Model:
      2001 Sport
      part number please

I like this idea, and I only lack the friggin' clips. My local "stealership" doesn't know of any clips. Or so they say... Did you order these from the dealer? If so, do you have the part no. or can you find one? Not too pleased with Ford at the moment as I am sure you weren't. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year and Model:
      98 Mountaineer AWD
      That's a very good upgrade, well done.

6. sicktight772

sicktight772 New Member

City, State:
      columbia & Effingham, SC
      Year and Model:
      1998 sport 4x4

7. refluga

refluga New Member

Here's the Ford part # for the metal clip that EACH push-in sensor requires:

Ford part# (qty=1 / $7.00) : W706800-S303 ("Retainer" F AR-52-AA)

The clip looks similar to the outline of an upside down Guinness Beer Mug !

8. fivestring

fivestring New Member

City, State:
      Birmingham, AL
      Year and Model:
      1998 Eddie Bauer
      I just completed upgrading my '98 Explorer 4.0L SOHC and it works great! I have had a slow leak for the past six months and replaced hoses, thermostat and water inlet housing with no luck. I was able to see a visible crack between the sensor mounts thanks to JOEZ33 post.

The hardest thing to get was the clip. If I knew what it looked like beforehand I would have bent some paper clips and saved the freight charges. It looks like you could form a "U" roughly 1/2" across and the bend the ends to keep it in place.

Thanks JOEZ33!!

9. Rodeo Joe

Rodeo Joe Elite Bostonian

City, State:
      Frankin, MA
      Year and Model:
      1997 XLT
      Just did mine last week, so far so good! :thumbsup:

Joe

10. TimBo885

TimBo885 New Member

City, State:
      MI
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer Sport
      Can anyone possibly find a picture or a rough MS pain diagram of the retainer clip? The dealership told me this morning that all the parts would be available for pickup tomorrow when I paid for them. Then an hour later I get a call saying they are on back order so I canceled them since my truck is a DD.

I was going to do the paper-clip trick instead of waiting a week.

Thank-you in advance,

Tim :roll:

11. fivestring

fivestring New Member

City, State:
      Birmingham, AL
      Year and Model:
      1998 Eddie Bauer
      The clip kind of looks like this:

| . . . . |
      | . . . . |
      | . . . . |
      \ . . . ./
      .|____|

Ignore periods... wouldn't format without them...

Or this picture:

http://www.monarchycatering.com/products/images/guinness-beer-glass-12-tulip-500ml-l.jpg

Before you put the housing in the truck, play with a paper clip and the sensors. The slot in the sensor and openings in the housing just needs support on both sides to keep it in place. The base of the "mug" lets you easily pull it out with a screwdriver tip once installed.

So they're still not in stock... I bet all the mechanics are using paper clips instead of ordering the part!

12. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year and Model:
      98 Mountaineer AWD
      Check to see if it's not the same clip as used in two other places, meaning any SOHC will have them. The sensor on top of the left VC behind the oil fill cap has the steel clip I'm talking about, that would be easy to get from any salvage yard SOHC. The other clip identical to it is on the crank sensor, to the right side of the balancer, which you won't get to easily.

Attached Files:

13. flipside

flipside New Member

City, State:
      honolulu,hi
      Year and Model:
      2001 explorer sport
      all you guys that has that plug and clamp sensors lucky you those thermostat housing dont cost as much as those factory sealed bolt type like the one i got just for the lower thermostat housing cost me 345 scrips but it was worth every bit of it labor took me about 4 HRs

14. TimBo885

TimBo885 New Member

City, State:
      MI
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer Sport
      I appreciate the quick replies, I'll see how it goes tomorrow when the sensors come in.

Thanks again.

15. TimBo885

TimBo885 New Member

City, State:
      MI
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer Sport
      Alright so, the paper-clips seem to work (pictures coming soon) however I have the older upper housing and from what I have read you are suppose to pop the bushings out of the upper? I just want to make sure because the lower has bushings that stick out... Also what tool did you use to pop the bushings out of the top housing?

Thank-you,

Tim

16. sicktight772

sicktight772 New Member

City, State:
      columbia & Effingham, SC
      Year and Model:
      1998 sport 4x4
      When i did mine i popped the bushings out of the upper, then the upper fits on lower perfectly. I guess it really wouldn't matter though. I used a small socket and a hammer to push mine out.

17. TimBo885

TimBo885 New Member

City, State:
      MI
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer Sport
      I ended up using a drill bit and my cordless to get the bushings out. damn plastic almost melted though. :p:

Alright, so I am on my way to finishing all that. Thanks again. :D

18. kevinspann

kevinspann Active Member

City, State:
      Richmond, VA
      Year and Model:
      1997 EB
      They are not the same clips as these, although they do work in the same manner.

19. TimBo885

TimBo885 New Member

City, State:
      MI
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer Sport
      Ok, eventful day. :rolleyes:

I ended up putting everything together (was changing alternator at the same time) and ended up stripping and breaking the serpentine belt tensioner.

So, pictures are postponed until I know that they actually work... may end up just ordering the clips to be on the safe side if I have to wait for the tensioner. :roll:

20. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year and Model:
      98 Mountaineer AWD
      You can use a tensioner from a parts store, just call a couple of stores first. Don't settle for the cheapest, the tensioner needs to be a high quality part.

21. Rodeo Joe

Rodeo Joe Elite Bostonian

City, State:
      Frankin, MA
      Year and Model:
      1997 XLT
      I pulled the metal sleeves out of the new lower housing, pretty easy.

Joe

22. refluga

refluga New Member

1) The metal retaining clips look exactly like the "profile" of a Guiness beer glass...visualize the beer mug on it's side and that's what they look like.
      Like this: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/Beethovenv/Beethoven9/Beer-Guiness-WithHeadinGlass-1.jpg

2) To remove the metal sleeves - I did mine exactly like the previous poster. I removed the upper housing metal sleeves and used a small socket the same size as the outer diameter of the metal sleeves....then just align the socket on the sleeve and tap on the socket gently (so you don't crack anything) with a hammer so and they will come out. Doesn't require much force for them to come out.

23. rcanthony

rcanthony New Member

Year and Model:
      n/a
      The list

ford part # / description / (motocraft #)

4L5Z-8592-AA -- upper thermostat housing (RH165)
      2L5Z-8592-BB -- lower thermostat housing (RH144)
      1L2Z-8255-AA -- lower housing thermostat seal (RG614)
      W702837-S300 -- thermostat seal (aka large o-ring)
      2L2Z 8575 AA -- thermostat (RT1167)
      3F1Z-10884-AA -- thermostat sensor (SW5491 or SW6146)
      3L8Z-12A648-BA -- thermostat sensor (DY1004)
      W706800-S303 -- retainer clips for sensors (I ordered 4)
      W500015-S437 -- bolts for housing upper (I ordered 6)
      W702527-S437 -- bolts for housing lower (I ordered 6)

I ordered the kit from www.fordpartswebsite.com
      this was the only joint that seemed to have all the peices from one location...
      I ordered extra bolts and clips because I ALWAYS lose or break these types of parts...

you probably DON'T need all of the parts as this will build one new complete assembly off the modern ranger/sporttrac pattern... you may have salvageable components, or do the early upper housing, late lower mix like the original poster mentions

(note the thermostat has to be entered into fordpartswebsite as the motocraft #)

cheerio

24. zabba501

zabba501 New Member

City, State:
      Wilmington, DE
      Year and Model:
      '97 xlt
      This thread saved me a "head gasket bill"....the lower housing is junk and mine was leaking through a bolt hole down the right side head. Thank you all.

25. PAPARAZZI

PAPARAZZI New Member

City, State:
      LOS ANGELES,CA
      Year and Model:
      97 EXP. XLT
    26. bbqross74

bbqross74 New Member

City, State:
      Galt, Ca
      Year and Model:
      1997 xlt 4x4
      thermostat housing upgrade

Just ordered all the parts from rock auto. Had to go to the dealer for the clips for temp probes. Checked out local parts stores but could not beat the price on-line. Thanks for the information everyone has posted. Will get the parts in this week and will take pictures of install and hopefully post so everyone who is interested can see how it went.