1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4.0 SOHC - when did it become reliable?

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by adowns, June 25, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. adowns

adowns New Member

City, State:
      Alabaster, AL
      Year and Model:
      1998 Mountaineer
      Did the 4.0 SOHC engine ever become a reliable 200k mile engine?

After what year is it safe to purchase an Explorer with this engine?

If the timing chain problems have been fixed under warranty, does it become a reliable 200k engine, or is it good for only another 50k?

Do rebuilt engines (like a Jasper engine) fix the timing chain issues or are they about the same as the original engine as far as reliabilty?

I would like to buy a late 90's early 2000's Explorer. They seem like a lot of SUV for the money, but I am leery of the 4.0 SOHC engine which seems to be the engine in most of them.

Last edited: June 26, 2011
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Reading Pa
      Year and Model:
      1999 Eddie Bauer
      It has always has issues of some sorts. 97-02 are the most problematic.

4. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      00 Sport FI,03 Limited V8
      my opinions

I believe all of the timing chain related improvements were incorporated in the 2002 and later models. An engine rebuilt or repaired after 2002 could have the best components available. There are less expensive and inferior aftermarket timing chain replacement kits available.

A forum member with a late model recently experienced a balance shaft tensioner failure at around 45K miles. Many members have over 200,000 miles on their engines with no timing chain issues. Maintenance and driving habits affect the longevity of the timing chain components. My 2000 engine was poorly maintained by previous owners and the original rear timing chain guide broke at 150,000 miles. I added a pre-oiler to hopefully extend the life of my timing chain components.

Volvo requires replacement of the timing belt and tensioner every 70,000 miles. Most modern overhead cam engines require a similar replacement interval. Ford's mistake was making it necessary to remove the engine to replace the rear cassette.

If you're not a home mechanic look for a 5.0L V8/4R70W powertrain.

5. safn1949

safn1949 Active Member

City, State:
      Mankato, Minnesota
      Year and Model:
      M60A1 my first offroader
      I agree on the 5.0,mine had 182,000 when I sold it and it ran like crazy.Always started and ran very smooth,never a problem with the tranny either.:D

6. adowns

adowns New Member

City, State:
      Alabaster, AL
      Year and Model:
      1998 Mountaineer
      Thanks all for the information. Now I see the situation. If routine timing chain maintenance were not so difficult this wouldn't be an issue. I will look for a post 2002 owned by one of those "change oil every 3000 miles" owners.

7. XLT

XLT Active Member

City, State:
      Wausau, WI
      Year and Model:
      1998 Sport SOHC 4X4
      You might want to look for atleast a 2003 or newer. The 2002 are know to be more problematic since that was the first year of the 3rd gen explorer.

8. waskly

waskly Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Crooklyn NY!
      03 or 04 engines have the updated black guilds in them.

9. 01sporty

01sporty Member

City, State:
      new salisbury indiana
      Year and Model:
      2001 sport 2wd
      being an employee of jasper engines i can tell you this, the guides are different from stock. i dont really know if its because of the issue being discussed i could find out tho. if you would like for me to

10. adowns

adowns New Member

City, State:
      Alabaster, AL
      Year and Model:
      1998 Mountaineer
      To 01sporty: I've often wondered if engine rebuilders use better than stock parts because they can see first hand what the weak spots are as they tear down the core engines. Or... do they use cheaper parts because the second engine will probably outlast the car which already has lots of miles and the car will break down due to some other cause or be sold to another owner.

11. 01sporty

01sporty Member

City, State:
      new salisbury indiana
      Year and Model:
      2001 sport 2wd
      we use high quality parts, we partner with alot of the aftermarket parts companies in order to get better pricing, kinda one hand washes the other they sell more parts we get better prices, our engines are rebuilt to factory specs. so they are as good as new. i cant speak for other facilities but i imagine they wouldnt remain competetive if they sold an inferior product. in fact we remanufacture engines for the long life postal vehicles and those engines have to stand up to the torture that the postal service puts them thru, and trust me when i say this those engines are absolutely put thru the ringer

12. mr cribb

mr cribb US Army Retired Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Claremore, OK
      Year and Model:
      94 Z71
      Well I do know that my first X (2000 EB 4.0) had head gasket issues, I checked into repairing it. Local shops wanted atleast 3k, ford wanted 3800 just to repair, and a new motor was 4k.

I got it because he price was right ($500).... I later traded it off after finding out the repair cost.

I'm in agreement if I was to have a later model X, I'd get the 5.0 motor.

13. Arian

Arian New Member

Year and Model:
      1997 Ford explorer 4.0
      I have a 4.0 sohc with 200,000 and have only had to just keep up the maintenance I'm very pleased with it