4.0 V6 Intake Solution? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 V6 Intake Solution?

StrikersCA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Has anyone tried using the K&N Air intake kit for 2004-2005 V8 Explorers? I was looking at the engine set up and throttle body locations and see a way that it may fit. I ordered the K&N and it should be in tomorrow and I'm going to give it a try.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-2564

Has anyone tried this before and had any luck with it?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have installed a K&N Cold Air Intake Kit onto my 2006 4.0 V6 Explorer... She is running smooth and clean, small modifications were made concerning the heat shield but pictures soon to come!!!

StrikersCA

StrikersCA

StrikersCA

StrikersCA

Here are the photos of the K&N!!!

Come up a treat! Look's great.:thumbsup:

The pictures don't really show it but you can kind of see it in the second picture to the left of the K&N sticker. Luckily enough the wires were long enough to reach around to the other side to connect the sensor.

how did you fgigure this out... i been pondering this for months... i've been working the winter nationals as security at night and one of the vendors said he'll hook me up with a cold air intake... now im just gonna see if he'll hok me up with the one from the 04-05 v8...

Nice set up. Tell us what you think about it!

Sound any different?

What problems did you run into?

Noticing any gains HP/MPG wise?

I have been looking for ways to get a quality CAI for my 4.0 for over a year since I bought it. There are 2 I have never heard of, but I did not like their setups. I have checked out K&N and BBK the whole hoping and kinda gave up hope. Seeing what you did is AWESOME! Way to think outside the box! How is it working? Notice anything power-wise? Any problems?

I came up with the idea because it was either do my own custom intake by piecing Spectre parts together or find something that would go with the bends of the engine bay and intake area. I kept looking at pictures of engine bays for all the Explorers and finally saw what looked to be a close enough match for the 04-05 V8. The only problems that I kind of ran into was with the heat shield. Had to make some adjustments with a grinding wheel to the side facing the passenger fender where the aluminum tubing is (this is not on the 04-05 and had to shave off a little on the other end of the heat shield where the coolant reservoir is (the 04-05 reservoir is located in the open space behind the heat shield where the sticker is). One thing I did change was I used a Spectre coupler coming off the throttle body instead of the supplied coupler just over preference since the Spectre part was thicker. Other than that it has been great and some people, I have read, complain of a whistling noise which is the vortex that is forming as the air is being pulled in by the opening of the throttle body. Personally, I don't mind it and some people have asked if I have a turbo under the hood because of it. ;)

I have definitely noticed some difference in the throttle response and it is definitely quicker getting up to speed. As for MPG gains I have been driving around with it for a good amount now and at least with the onboard computer it shows an increase of city MPG by 1. Later on next week I'll be tracking on some hwy miles so I'll compute that by hand and see how that drive is (its usually around 20 MPG for the 3 hour trip).

That is awesome. Reading your journey is like I had written it myself. I am very glad you shared the photos.

Man you are a genius, will thank you in advance because I am purchasing as we speak. Good looking out and will post pics once I get it installed.

well i epicly failed, I purchased the 89.99 intake from american muscle for the 05-10 Mustang V6 and it "fits" and works but because of its insane twist and bends it presses up against the ECU and the Alternator sooo im not comfortable with that so i just ordered this K&N off of Amazon for 233.56 and it arrives Thursday. SO if anyone would like to purchase my Zombie Intake its yours for 75 plus half the shipping. Like i said it works i havent had it throw any CEL but it just has to be jammed in awkwardly so id rather spend the crap load of money and swap it out. BTW the sound difference after tht crap box is pulled out is awesome.

Heres what i purchased itll come with all the parts.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-v6-intake-2005.html

P.S. The bottom part of the stock intake box was a B*&^H to take out omg i wanted to smash it with a hammer. Thursday day im slapping on my Super 44 and am debating giving the pipe a turn down in the middle

Do you have pics of it installed to show what you are talking about. If I can see pics I might be interested in buying.

thanks for sharing this information.

cool idea

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have installed a K&N Cold Air Intake Kit onto my 2006 4.0 V6 Explorer... She is running smooth and clean, small modifications were made concerning the heat shield but pictures soon to come!!!
Hi, I Know it's been a while since you did this. Awesome job btw. But, if you recall, may I ask what part number of the K&N Cold Air Intake Kit you used? I've been looking to fix up my old 2006 4L V6. Thanks a lot for any help you could give.

Back