4.0L SOHC Engine Swap... 97/98/99/00/01/02/03 Motor Interchange | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L SOHC Engine Swap... 97/98/99/00/01/02/03 Motor Interchange

Gannz

Reaction score
4.0L SOHC Engine Swap... 97/98/99/00/01/02/03 Motor Interchange (w/ photos)

Hey all,

I have a clean '98 Explorer 4x4 w/ a 3" body lift on 30" Cross Terrains. At about 150k it started a rattle in the rear cassette. New tensioners didn't help & I opted not to pull the motor, buy the tools, and change out the timing cassettes. So we drove on... and on... and on... and I was about to tell people Ford made a diesel Explorer. Then, last week at 190k, she finally jumped time and bent the valves.

So, I need to change out the engine. I have some questions but I'll try to contribute some consolidated info first. This is what I've been able to gather from mainly searching the board...

Here are the different engines available for the years in question:

1997-2000
6-245 (4.0L), SOHC (VIN E), 4x2
6-245 (4.0L), SOHC (VIN E), 4x4
6-245 (4.0L, SOHC), LHD, exc. flex fuel; (VIN E); Sport Trac, thru 7/23/00
6-245 (4.0L, SOHC), LHD, exc. flex fuel; (VIN E); Sport; thru 7/23/00
6-245 (4.0L, SOHC), LHD, exc. flex fuel; (VIN E); Sport Trac, from 7/24/00
6-245 (4.0L, SOHC), LHD, exc. flex fuel; (VIN E); Sport; from 7/24/00
6-245 (4.0L, SOHC), LHD, exc. flex fuel; (VIN E); exc. Sport and Sport Trac
2002-2003
6-245 (4.0L, SOHC), (LHD), exc. flex fuel; (VIN E); 4 Dr, exc. Sport Trac
6-245 (4.0L, SOHC), (LHD), exc. flex fuel; (VIN E); 2 Dr (Sport)
6-245 (4.0L, SOHC), (LHD), exc. flex fuel; (VIN E); 4 Dr, Sport Trac

'97-'03 will all interchange. Some things are different in all of these years. Most are minor. Don't change out your ECU.

• 1997-2000 would be the most direct swap but you'll have to deal w/ the timing chain issues all over again. With these years you need to match 2wd/4wd to your vehicle.
  • 2001 you need to use your old upper intake, wiring harness, and cam sensor. Timing is still a problem w/ these engines.
  • 2002-03 reuses the same parts as '01 but you'll also need to reuse your old fuel rail (including your old injectors). This makes for a little more work but it seems to be worth it b/c '02 is when Ford finally improved the timing casettes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently finished my ‘98 to ‘03 swap and everything is working as it should. :) There are a few more things (other than what’s listed above) that are different about the engines…

You have to use your old exhaust manifolds. The newer manifolds use studs instead of bolts but that’s not a big deal. What is a big deal is that the studs are spaced further apart and they won’t fit the flange. Anything can be modified but it won’t be worth your time and effort to make the new manifolds fit unless your old manifolds are warped or cracked. You also need to use your old EGR valve, bracket, and pipes.

You can save some time if you use your old valve covers. I chose to go with the new covers and I like how it turned out but there was a good bit of modifying necessary to get everything to match back up. The coil pack, upper radiator hose, PCV valve(s) (mine now has two and an extra line), spark plug wires/mounts, DPFE sensor, and the main electrical harness connector bracket all need to be modified. If you use your old valve covers all of these will match up as on the old engine.

The older engine emission system circulates air through a freeze plug knocked out of the block above the crank. The new engine circulates from the rear of the drivers side valve cover. I suspect Ford eliminated the crank breather b/c it clogs over time. I instead set up mine to use both which should make for better circulation and also provide a backup in case one line clogs. If you keep the crank breather (you have to keep it if you use your old valve covers) it would be a good idea to clean it the next time you change out the intake manifold gaskets.

The cam sensor, oil pressure sender, and block ground appear to be the only sensors/connectors you’ll need to use from the older engine. I used all the sensors from the newer engine except for these three.

You need to use your old heater hose bracket/coupling.

The oil filter is different and you need to get filters to fit an '02/'03.

Great information. I have a 97 explorer, 4 wd. 4.0 sohc engine. I just picked up a 99 4.0 engine today for it. Right away I see I have 2 fuel lines on the 97 and only 1 on the 99 engine. I've read somewhere about using the old fuel rail and maybe the old injectors too. Can anyone help or give me a link to where I read this? I'm not sure what to use from the old engine and still get the the computer to work right when I start it up. I switched a 2000 into a 2001 last year and all I had to do is plug it in and it ran like a top. This one's a little more complicated.

What size engine can I exchange my 4.0 soch in my '01 sport track. Years also would be helpful

Swaping out 98 4.0 for a 2002 4.0

My motor is making noise just like yours. I dont want to fix it and the tensioners only made it a little quiter. I did find a 2002 4.0 with slight fire damage on top for $250 i dont need anything on top since i am swapping my stuff over right? seems like an awesome deal if thats the case?

99 explorer to 2002 sport track

What I need to make a 99 4.0 to fit my 2002 4.0 sport track?
I just bought the 2002 sport track because I thought that the engine I have (99 ford explorer 4.0) would fit it, but they look different. I will appreciate any help!!

you said above that you need to match 2x or 4x to your vehicle, What is the difference between 4x4 and 2 wheel drive in these engines? We have a 97 2 wheel drive, with a good strong engine and wanted to put it into a 99 4x4, are you saying we can't?

4wd will have a balance shaft AND a jack shaft. on the SOHC anyway.

RankFrank here and I am new, apologies but search isn't narrowing down things. I have a pair of 2000 Explorers, 4.0L SOHC blown engines, 4x4. There is a 2003 4.0L SOHC 4x2 available, and the transmission was described as a 4x4 transmission with a cover plate.
Are the transmission bolt patterns the same? Can I do the swap? Is there a reference somewhere that tells me what is actually different?

Hey all,

I have a clean '98 Explorer 4x4 w/ a 3" body lift on 30" Cross Terrains. At about 150k it started a rattle in the rear cassette. New tensioners didn't help & I opted not to pull the motor, buy the tools, and change out the timing cassettes. So we drove on... and on... and on... and I was about to tell people Ford made a diesel Explorer. Then, last week at 190k, she finally jumped time and bent the valves.

So, I need to change out the engine. I have some questions but I'll try to contribute some consolidated info first. This is what I've been able to gather from mainly searching the board...

1997-2000
2002-2003

'97-'03 will all interchange. Some things are different in all of these years. Most are minor. Don't change out your ECU.

• 1997-2000 would be the most direct swap but you'll have to deal w/ the timing chain issues all over again. With these years you need to match 2wd/4wd to your vehicle.
  • 2001 you need to use your old upper intake, wiring harness, and cam sensor. Timing is still a problem w/ these engines.
  • 2002-03 reuses the same parts as '01 but you'll also need to reuse your old fuel rail (including your old injectors). This makes for a little more work but it seems to be worth it b/c '02 is when Ford finally improved the timing casettes.
What about the knock sensors? Replacing a 97 with an01. They appear to be different. The 97 has a round three wire plug and the 01 has a flat two wire plug.

I have a 2001 Explorer 2x2 with a blown 4.0 SOHC. I also have a 1997 Explorer 4x4 with a good 4.0 ohv. What do I have to do to make it work in the 2001 2x2? I plan on starting this project tomorrow afternoon. Any advice would help. I also have been a Mechanic for the last 25years , but never thought I'd be doing .

Just started a engine/swap. 2001 ford explorer sport trac. Bought a 2001,donor truck that was built Nov 2000 date. The truck I am working on is a 2001 but built may 2000. Thought I could pop it right in... Boy was I wrong lol, now I'm back to pulling the engine out and swapping or trading it for one built before July 2000. Going to look at one built Nov 99. Now that I know the differences this one should go much better :)

Just started a engine/swap. 2001 ford explorer sport trac. Bought a 2001,donor truck that was built Nov 2000 date. The truck I am working on is a 2001 but built may 2000. Thought I could pop it right in... Boy was I wrong lol, now I'm back to pulling the engine out and swapping or trading it for one built before July 2000. Going to look at one built Nov 99. Now that I know the differences this one should go much better :)
And what are the differences?
I am looking at a 2003 Sport Trac that needs a 4.0. I have a 02 and a 03 with 4.0. All three vehicles are VIN E and 4x4. The 03 actually has an engine out of a 2001 Ranger that I swapped in last year without a problem. The 03 is flex fuel so I used the rail, injectors and intake off the original engine. When I was looking for an engine for the 03 I got the impression that the Sport Trac engines would not fit. I figure the engine itself should be the same.
Will one of these engines I have fit the 03 Sport Trac.

They will all fit, you just need to strip it to a long block and swap everything over from your old engine. Anything 98 up to an 2010 from a mustang, range rover, sport trac, ranger, or explorer. As long as it has an SOHC badge.

They will all fit, you just need to strip it to a long block and swap everything over from your old engine. Anything 98 up to an 2010 from a mustang, range rover, sport trac, ranger, or explorer. As long as it has an SOHC badge.
Fit 01 mazda b4000 also?

Hey all,

1997-2000
2002-2003

Well written! I have a '98 4.0, 4x4, XLT w/ squealing crank and bearing(s). 1. Does anyone know how to replace those parts w/o pulling engine? 2. Also have 2 possible donor vehicles, a '98 4.0, 4x4, Eddie Bauer, and a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer w/ 4.0, full time 4x4, and standard trim. Does anyone know if those 2 engines would be an okay fit here? Thanks!

I have a '98 4.0, 4x4, XLT w/ squealing crank and bearing(s)
Never heard of this the bottom end of that engine is basically bullet proof I would take a real good look at your harmonic balancer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never heard of this the bottom end of that engine is basically bullet proof I would take a real good look at your harmonic balancer
Don ~ Well, thank you, sir -- I will take a good hard look at the balancer.

Back