• Register Today It's free!

4.0L to 5.4L 4v Navigator swap.

87350gta

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer limited
Well, I have been holding off on posting this, I was trying to avoid all of the "it will never fit" comments, but here goes. I recently picked up a complete Navigator 5.4L DOHC engine. I am swapping into my '02 EX in the near future. I have done a lot of checking and measuring and planning. I happen to have a v8 5r55 trans to build and put in with it. It came complete with fuel lines and wire harness. I am planning on building custom engine mounts, using the stock Navigator intake and accessories. It looks like I only need to change the oil filter location to a remote unit. I know I will have some exhaust woes and small stuff, but since this is my daily driver, I can't afford much down time when the swap happens. I have figured out the flexplate issue, V10 flexplate is 8 bolt and the correct depth. I am planning to run a 4.6L EX PCM, they seem pretty cheap on ebay. I will keep everyone posted on progress, I am open to any info if anyone has some. I have not seen ANYONE else do one of these swaps on a 3rd gen EX, and I searched many different websites and this one extensively. I was worried about the height of the intake and was planning a sheetmetal upper. I have seen many other similar setups on mustang swaps. I was also considering 4.6-5.4 intake spacers. After coming to the conclusion of making custom engine mounts, I decided the stock upper will be ok for now. I was only 1" or so from clearing anyway. I will also be using Aviator exhaust manifolds if they fit. The steering shaft is going to be super close to the exhaust manifold on driver's side, but I am planning to "cheat" the engine over to the pass side a little for some extra clearance. Here is a pic of the engine for now.
CA96E73E-8F87-4E3E-A6BF-8FA233BD368E-4127-000004F6B134C476.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am jealous. And will also be following. No useful information though. Good Luck!

I'd like to see how it turns out. Hope all goes well for ya.

Nice. If the motor is too tall, you could do a 1.5" Bodylift to give a tad more clearance. Definitely interested in this swap seeing as everyone else has swapped from 4.6 to a 5.4, not from a 4.0. Any chance you're keeping a detailed cost list?

Nice. If the motor is too tall, you could do a 1.5" Bodylift to give a tad more clearance. Definitely interested in this swap seeing as everyone else has swapped from 4.6 to a 5.4, not from a 4.0. Any chance you're keeping a detailed cost list?

The body lift would counter act my lowering springs a little, but, good idea that I had not considered. So far the only thing I have bought is the engine, and I have a ton of parts laying around that will help in this swap. I guess 13 years working at a ford dealership has that effect. I have so many boxes of parts and little odds and ends. I don't think my cost list would be a true to most people. For instance, I have a complete v8 transmission for an explorer and a spare v6 version.

Ahh, I forgot you had lowered your truck. And that's okay about the prices, we'll settle for a parts list haha. have you thought about the extra weight on the front end? You might be able to swap back to stock front strut assemblies and still achieve the same amount of drop

I did think about that. When I put the drop springs in I had to leave out one of the upper spring mount pieces. They did not fit the springs correctly, possibly because mine is an early built '02 EX. There was a part update midyear for that part. I was going to buy the newer version part and try and raise up the front end, if needed. I will keep track as much as I can. I will also try and take many, many photos.

cut the hood ^_^, that massive intake will deffinately turn some heads haha.

cut the hood ^_^, that massive intake will deffinately turn some heads haha.

I would actually like it if I could somehow get a contoured "bump" in the hood. Not a hole, just something over the intake that gave it some room, but I am by no means a bodywork guy. I am all mechanical.

Nice 5.4! Im going to save you some trouble if you want it lol. From my understanding the 4.6 and 5.4 blocks are the same so you should be able to use the aviator engine mounts with the 4.0 rubber. Then ur gona need the aviator manifolds, cause yes they are close, then ull need the aviator steering shaft cause the 4.0s sit 3" higher(don't forget the body seal if ur at a junkyard) o since ur useing the avaitor steering shaft( which the design is pretty impressive) ull need the aviator steering rack cause the ends of the shafts are different! If you want ac you will have to use the explorer 4.6l front hoses. Cooling hoses are simple, power steering is fairly simple if you have a local shop that does hydro hoses. Wiring on mine was pretty simple now looking back(tranny safety interlock will not let ur engine start!lol) other then running jumper wires for the ac and changing some of the connectors around. And I wouldn't use a 4.6l single cam ecu to control a 5.4l dohc, I think you would be chasing a lot of ghosts around but idk mine worked so I never messed around with the 4.6 to 4.6dohc ecu. And just a safty thing while the engine is out get a new timing chain set and guides, ford racing has a really nice kit. Exhaust isn't that bad, use the 4.0 y pipe and get somes pipes bent unless ur going full out custom exhaust all the way then ur on ur own! Lol goodluck! The extra cubes should b fun!

Yes, I have verified the frame side of the engine mounts are the same, I still think the custom mount might be in my favor, but I am on the fence. Aviator manifolds should be here soon. I did not know about the steering shaft difference, thank you for that. When you say the 4.0s sit 3" higher, do you mean the engine or the steering shaft? I was planing on the 4.6 a/c lines, but I also need to get an explorer compressor. Hydro lines can be made at NAPA, no issue there. From what I have found the 4.6 ex ecu would "work" but I am very open to you input. I was going to get an aviator ecu, but it runs electronic returnless fuel system vs. the mechanical returnless that the Explorer runs. What ecu are you runnning? The sensor data according to the Ford shop manual is very close on the ex ecu, and aside from not having the IMRC functioning, I saw no reason it would not work, but again, info is appreciated. And strangely enough, I was planning on resealing the engine and checking the timing chain plastic guides and what not. I think I am going to use the factory y-pipe for now, just cut the pipe off from the converter inlet and mate it to the stub pipes that are left on the new engine from when it was removed. I have been planning a 4.6 dohc swap, but I found this engine SUPER cheap and I had to have it. So here I am.

The v6 steering shaft comes though the body about 3" higher and I don't know if the v8 shafts where different? I am using the aviator ecu with no problems, but I did get it "adjusted" lol everything was pretty much bolt in except for the exhaust. I know what you mean by what comes by, that's why I got a 4.6l dohc in mine lol btw what part of indiana are you in 87350gta?

I live in Lebanon it's NW of Indy. I was planning on a sct tuner, did you have someone tune it? Or do it yourself?

I pulled off the oil pan to start the part replacement and found a piece of plastic timing chain guide stuck in the pick up screen. Good thing I was going to replace them. I also ordered a 2013 Shelby GT 500 oil pan and windage tray, I hope it fits.

seen these in rangers and b2's....i think it will fit good.

Is a 2002 ex spirt engine bay is the same or smaller of yours?
I want do same swap to mine!

Nope, I think it is closer to the rangers and 2001 and older explorers, but I have they fit into those vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back