4.6 engine, issue with timing chain tensioners | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6 engine, issue with timing chain tensioners

El Duque

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Hiawatha, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie Bauer
I have 130,000 on it. The engine was making that rattle noise on start-up (not the broken exhaust manifold stud noise, I'm working on that next), so I replaced the tensioners with Sealed Power units and the noise went away. I started it today after being away for vacation for a week and the noise is back. Anyone notice that after sitting for a while? I'm hoping the oil just drained out after a week and it's normal. I'd hate to have to go back in there. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it gone again after few seconds ? In situations where the oil may drain down due to inactivity, the spring does the work.
That's what springs do at the startup before the oil pressure is built up again.

I’m glad the 4.0L ones aren’t the only ones with tensioner stupidity. I bet yours is fine. Just a little loose while building pressure like Explorer said.

yes, it did go away almost immediately. It was the right side, which I guess is the side where the guide can hang down. You know, when I was replacing the tensioners and buttoning everything up, I noticed how loose the chains would get when turning the crankshaft. This was with the spring retainers removed from the tensioners. Now I'm not sure if that was normal. I even went an extra step and pumped oil into the engine through the oil temp sensor hole until oil came out of the tensioners, before bolting the front cover back on.

Just wanted to update this. After dealing with this for a year and replacing the tensioners again with ford OEM tensioners, noise was still there. I finally replaced the passenger-side VVT solenoid and that fixed it! I couldn't believe the solenoid could cause a rattle like that. Hope this helps someone else

Just double checking, you've had a motorcraft or equivalent oil filter on it the whole time?

yep, been running the motorcraft fl820s since I bought it with 25,000 miles. I've read how some filters don't have a proper checkvalve and let oil drain back, thanks. Now onto the exhaust manifold which I'm sure will have broken studs and will be a nightmare, lol

Back