Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 F-150 FX4
Stealing this from another forum, which linked to Ranger Power Sports.

Very, very cool. Must have used one huge shoehorn... :)

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164909

e6bwxe.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there's gotta be about 8 or 10 of these done now

*****in conversion IF you have the skill and time, otherwise there are easier ways to go about getting a V8 under there.

I would LOVE to do a beefy 4.6L in my Explorer hahaha but since its already got a 5.0 I cant see not just getting a 331 crate engine instead. I'd do it jsut for the coolness factor and supercharge the 4.6

there's gotta be about 8 or 10 of these done now

I'm always out of the loop. I feel like Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber. "We landed on the moon!"

Why supercharge the 4.6? Just find a Lightning motor and swap it in :eek: You can pick up used lightning motors for relatively cheap if you keep your eyes open. Only thing with a Lightning motor is it may be fun trying to fit that huge 4R100 tranny in there! Maybe just bolt up a built 4R70W instead :cool:

I guess it's cool because it's different. To make that thing fit, he had to reroute the steering, reconstruct the heater box and completely DELETE the air conditioning. IMO, it would cooler by far to use an Ex 5.0L and give up nothing.

BAH!! Guy used the wrong motor. If you're gonna go to all the hassle of a 4.6 swap, go DOHC with coil on plug ignition....:D

People do crazy things, like put carbed engines into EFI vehicles, swap out torque V6's for small powered V8's (like the classic 4.0L OHV to F-150 5.0L conversion or HO conversion, then they get in the truck and are like WTF?? wheres the new power?)

Why supercharge the 4.6? Just find a Lightning motor and swap it in :eek: You can pick up used lightning motors for relatively cheap if you keep your eyes open. Only thing with a Lightning motor is it may be fun trying to fit that huge 4R100 tranny in there! Maybe just bolt up a built 4R70W instead :cool:
Interesting, Every SVT lightning engine I have ever seen was supercharged

The DOHC will fit in a 2wd only, and the only way the SOHC fit in the blue 4wd truck is because of his body lift. The DOHC is a good bit wider than the SOHC.

I have a DOHC 5.4 I'd love to put in my Explorer but there is no possible way for it to fit :(

never say never, I have seen big blocks in lowered BII's before, with enough time and $$$ anything is possible
I am sure the guy who put a 400 ci big block in his BII was also told it cant be done, or th eguys who put LS1 engines into yota trucks, it goes on and on

Alot depends on what you want to do with the truck
I personally like to keep my ac and frame so that has to sway the engine fitting decision

The DOHC will fit in a 2wd only, and the only way the SOHC fit in the blue 4wd truck is because of his body lift. The DOHC is a good bit wider than the SOHC.

I have a DOHC 5.4 I'd love to put in my Explorer but there is no possible way for it to fit :(
I so wanna put a 4.6 DOHC or 5.0 DOHC in my explorer sport and like 410 fortune said anything is possible with enough time and money however to make a DOHC fit in my sport I would have to do a body lift, I would have to convert to a hydroboost brake setup. prolly get rid of the climate control unless I can relocate it. change the steering shaft and/or rack. And I would defiantly want to retain 4wd capability. and if I'm swapping in that much power(cuz ill def thro a stage 8 ported eaton m112 in there right from the get go) I'm def gonna want like a T56 stick or some kind of stick shift that can handle power and mate with a transfer case. swapping in a solid front axle might even make it a little easier which I would prefer to keep the IFS tho. And I would settle for the 4.6 SOHC 2 valve or even the 3 valve might be easier

Sorry to wakeup a dead thread.

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164909
I cant load the page when I click this link. If this is a link to a 4.6 ranger build can you see if you can find it and repost the link I would really really be interested in this unless you can find someone that has put a 4.6 in an 01 to 03 sport, that's something I would be extremely interested in seeing

Back