410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion

410Fortune said:
oh yeah right, hahahaha give me about another $18K and then I can pull a 11 second quarter in a lifted BII, might be a little dangerous though! hahahaha

hell just need ya some stickers, some nitrous, a big wing and a parachute :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its going to be damn damn damn fast though. i mean how light that b2 is even with the tires and lift..ect its gonna be crazy. would love to see people faces when you get on it.

Mucho kudos to ya Jaime :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I can see the rear axle hopping like mad when you cut loose on the pavement...along with mucho tire smoke...may even see some air under the front tires with that short wheelbase and slicks...

AWESOME, congrats Jamie, cant wait to see it in person!!

That's Awesome Jamie. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rcpasq said:
Do you realize you will have over 300 ft. lbs. of torque with the Headers?
Oh, is that all?!?! Awesome!!!! :eek: :thumbsup: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

That clip brought a tear to my eye. The 5.0 manhandles that BII.

j602 said:
That clip brought a tear to my eye. The 5.0 manhandles that BII.

clip? did i miss something?

doh! don't know how i missed that.... thanks, sounds nasty, reminds me of when was in between putting a flowmaster kit on my mustang and all it had was the H pipe...

That is totally ROCKING the BII's world.....Fantastic job 410......I have and always will be a BII JUNKIE.....many good memories wheeling the little Broncs around!!!!!

Monday:

Spent 14 hours on Saturday installing the shifter.
Wowsers this was quite a project, mostly tinkering and finding the correct fit.
I had to fabricate a new plate for the trans tunnel hole, then cut it for the shifter location and run the cable.
the shifter is from a 96 Mustang, the cable routes backwards towards the transfer case.
The 4R70W is setup to have the cable approach from the front. You can reverse the shift arm on the transmission to point down and attach the cable from the back (like a Mustang) but I dont want to get that close tot he front driveshaft or exhaust. So I made a new bracket to hold the cable to the transmission, the cable does a U turn.

I have not driven it yet, but I have run it through all the gears and I am very happy with the results thus far.
I did not drive it yet simply because my oil feed line for my mechanical gage was leaking slightly, in my attempts to fix it I twisted the oil line too much and it popped out of the fitting while the truck was at idle.
By the time I shut her down there was a quart and a half sprayed all over the inside of the engine bay :) Ahhhhh the fresh smell of burning oil. I am now officially out of shop rags (what a mess!)

So today I am off to get the fitting I need to repair the leak and line, then I will spend some time running it and checking fluid levels, then finally drive it.

Update 5/10/-5/11
Shes drives great!

I have the exhaust mounted from headers to dual cat assembly, including 4 ea 02 sensors, shes still pretty loud but this allows me to get a few miles under her belt before I drive her down tot he exhaust shop.
I have put about 40 miles on the truck as of this morning.
I had 1 small issue, I thought might be a problem.
I had a rubber trans cooler line too close to the cat converter, it burst. Of course I had a case of Mercon in the truck so I was ready for this. 3 quarts got me 1.5 mile to home. I replaced both trans lines with the metal units from my donor 96 Ex. Fixed!

I also installed my new gauges, cleaned and waxed the truck, did some detail work around everything I built, meaning waxed the paint that is new, cleaned up all the splatter and mess I made, zip tied things out of the way, etc etc.

I ahve a CEL, as I expected. OBD-II has a canister purge valve as well as a canister vent solenoid. I only have a canister purge valve so it is likely I will have to add some sort of resistor to the canister vent valve to eliminate the CEL.

Plan is to take her for exhaust tomorrow, should be fairly cut and dry. I also need my driveshafts adjusted, the T case is about 2" forward from where it was previously.

Today I will get and post a bunch of pictures of the final stages, the trans mount, exhaust, etc. But first let me just say that SHE DRIVES AWESOME

It shifts so well and there is sooooooo much power! I am still taking it very easy, getting used to the new noises and how she drives, but so far so good! V8 = overkill.
This conversion may not be for everybody, but I have zero regrets and I have only logged 40 miles. When you punch it, she responds, lets just leave it at that for now :) Who wants a ride?

Things left to do:
Adjust shifter/linkage
have custom exhaust built, for better ground clearance
diagnose check oil light (have oil pressure and oil)
Wire up OD button (in new shifter) & light
Wire up OBD-II diagnostics port (wires are in cab already)
Driveshafts adjusted
Heat protect floor boards here and there (where headers are close)
Wire up Canister purge, bypass canister vent (to fool PCM)
Look into 97 fuel tank sending unit and wiring (should not effect PCM/CEL)
Install new water temp gauge (mine is now broken = time to upgrade!)
Find out why my wipers only work on high now (always something!)
install skid plates
Check all bolts perodically
Change oil and trans fluid and filter after 1000 miles (to synth engine oil)

So far I am VERY happy
NOTHING like the sound of a 5.0L V8 under your seat......

Last edited:

do you happen to have a pic of the exaust setup?

Great work!!! I can't wait to see this thing!

I will get you a pick, although the driver side pipe is about 5-6" down from where it will be, it does not clear my oil pan to allow the proper angle, but a hammer got it to fit to get me down to the shop...

Shes pretty much going to be fully functional in the next two weeks, when do you wanna see it? MUAHAHAHA I already see people around town going, "oh man I there's that obnoxious truck again" hahahaha

okay 70 miles on the truck so far.
Everything works flawless, shift linkage needs some fine tuning, but I think this setup will work!
If you are considering a 5.0L conversion for your ranger based vehicle.....

DO IT! FIND A WAY MAKE IT HAPPEN :)

Tomorrow morning she gets exhaust.
The drivers down pipe will be slightly modified to fit better (higher up), clearancing the oil pan. A dual inlet single outlet (3") muffler will be added with a 3" pipe right out the back, tucked up as high as possible.

Now for the pictures. First the trans mount, welded, painted, installed. Transfer case installed. You can see I used the stock explorer exhaust hanger bracket, this kind of thing will save me $$$ at the exhaust shop
2893transmount.jpg

Here is the 96 Mustang AOD floor shifter with OD button installed. I had to make the plate for the floor and the mount for the shifter. You can see my original 88 carpet is about ready for the dumpster so I did not mind cutting. You can also see my new Autometer Phantom water temp gage (oops broke the old one) One gage left to go (oil pressure) then they are all Phantom white face. I will be building a center console (fiberglass, fabric) this summer to house the gages, shifter, drink holders, etc:
2893shifter.jpg

the wires are for the OD button, not hooked up just yet. You can see my ARB switches and CB in this pic too..

Here is the temporary bracket I made to hold the shift cable in place at the trans, so far so good! this sucker was easy to build but took some time to design
2893linkage.jpg

Here are the new gage faces installed, OH BABY CUSTOM CITY:
2893gagefaces.jpg

as you can see I went SVT tach and Racing speedo

And now a few shots of the exhaust, remember the drivers pipe is temporary, just to get me to the exhaust shop, it is hanging about 3" too low and almost touching the oil pan = no good. Will be fixed tomorrow:

Dual cats, will be removed, this is where the muffler goes
2893exhaust1.jpg

2893exhaust2.jpg

2893exhaust3.jpg

Here she is just before the hood and grill installed, shops a mess to excited to clean now:
2893almostdone.jpg

Another shot of the shop where all this magic happens, many snowy nights and long weekends spent here:
2893magic.jpg

All buttoned up, washed again:
2893front1.jpg

And for my next projects, patiently waiting in line:
28933inline.jpg

Boat is next, hahahaha wake tower upgrade this summer.
The green Ex is the one I rolled, will get stripped to bare chasis and then crushed.
Blue Ex is my new builder for a daily driver, will get front end cut off, the drivetrain from the green Ex installed, then a new front clip (hopefully sport trac)

The BII will be getting full body work, a finished interior (carpet, console, some paint) and then finally new Ford Blue paint.

Coming up next:
Custom exhaust, emissions compliance and testing, some more miles, then finally WHEELING!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nicely done. Great job man... :thumbsup:

Back