410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion

Hey thanks!
I forgot the vitals:
So far, water temp runs right at 200 (195 thermo) hottest was 205
Hottest the trans has gotten is 125 WOWEEEE thats way better then the A4LD
Oil pressure is about 22 at idle, highest I have seen was 58.

No leaks and she's been hot and pushed her up some steep passes, HELLS YEAH...

Okay I am off to drive some more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup: Right on.....I am glad it has come together so well for you...Fantastic BII power house.....!!!!!!....Another satisfied Blue Oval owner!! :D :D :cool:

Super nice job. Like to see vids. of it in action. The custom console sounds nice.

Man, that looks Cherry!!!

Hope the exhaust goes well. It shouldn't be too expensive.

Congratulations. Excellent job ! Keep sharing!

Okay update 051605

Exhaust, done last Friday by Discount Muffler, Denver, CO
My friend Chuck's exhaust shop, they do top notch work.

First he modified the stock 97 Explorer down pipe to clear my oil pan and the front driveshaft, simple cut, bend and add new section:
2893downpipe.jpg

This put the stock Explorer pipes and cat's at a stock like location/angle/elevation allowing the use of the stock trans mount exhaust hanger: (previously pictured)
2893cats.jpg

Then a couple of simple pipes were bent and added behind the stock down pipe to exhaust bolt up flanges (now to new dual 2.5" in muffler):
2893dualin.jpg

Surprise surprise not everyone makes a dual 2.5" in single 3" out muffler.
FloPro makes a muffler that can be used in both directions, so it was chosen.

Flopro dual 2.5" inlet, single 3" out muffler:
2893dualin2.jpg

Single 3" outlet run over the axle, very nice bends and angle here to accomodate the stock BII hanger, skidplate, and shock location:
2893hoop.jpg

And finally 3" single tip run straight out the back and cut for departure angle:
2893tip.jpg

The gains in torque with the single out exhaust over the stock open pipes was VERY noticable as sopon as I left the exhaust shop.

This weekend I also:
-Wired in the OD button in the 96 Mustang shifter
-Wired in the OD OFF light into my stock dash (currently my old REAR ABS light hahaha)
-Wired in the OBD-II underdash diagnostics port
-Wired in new canister purge solenoid
-Performed jumper wire mod to stock 88 Tachometer to read more accuratley for 5.0L V8
-re-installed a new tach gage face (sticker) I had air bubbles from the last attempt
-Put 400 miles on my now converted BII :)

The driveshafts are at the shop today being modified for the new T case location. The rear gets extended 2". new U joints, and balanced. the front will be 28" (was 30") and re-blanaced.

Currently I do have a CEL and a flashing OD button.
Tomorrow she gets hooked up to a snap on scanner for the first time, we shall hope the codes are:
lack of canister vent solenoid (last thing left to wire up)
Flashing OD light = my truck is running 4.10 gears with 33" tires, PCM should need calibration.

If thats it then I can clear those codes, get the CEL off and emissions the truck. After 1000 miles engine oil will be changed over to synth, trans will get new fluid and filter and I can move on to the next project on the BII, Rust repair, body work, paint prep and paint. I plan to do it all myself withthe help of some friends :)

All is WELL! 5.0L + 4R70W + BII = HAPPY

It sounds *****in, shifts smooth, and has plenty of power now!

Last edited by a moderator:

Looks good. I bet it sounds mean, deep and clean now huh?

Yes it sounds great! I will get a sound clip when I can.
I will be headed back down there soon, I want to modify the stock pipe to tuck up a little closer to the trans, once I got it home I started looking at skid plate options.

he also sold me a 3" steel pipe, mandrel bent in the shape of a U, its going to be perfect for my intake :)

looks sweet man!

I'll be looking forward to hearing a sound clip.

awesome, you must be excited!

That is a fantastic conversion!!! It is very clean and "from the factory" looking. Very, very nice! I am very impressed with your quality of detail on this BII!!!
You are going to HOP across the rocks when you put it in 4x4!!! :D
Thanks again for showing what can be done if one wants and desires to accomplish a Goal as this. :thumbsup:

Okay update 05/24/05
truck has 650 something miles since first drive.
I have towed the boat with it, it tows fantastic!

However I now have a flashing OD light as well as the MIL.

I have hooked the truck up to a scanner and performed only the KOER test, scanner will not work in KOEO test.

I am in the midst of tracking down all 7 wires related to the OBD-II 16 pin connector found in the 97 Explorer 5.0L. I know that I have 5 of 7 wires correct, 1 wire not hooked up (on 97 Ex it goes to GEM module, I have no GEM module)
I believe this is a power wire issue, shouldnt be hard to figure out, the scanner is not getting + power continuous, only when engine is running.

However with the snap on scanner I was able to retrieve the following codes:
P0453
Evap Emissions Control System pressure high
P1451
EVAP E.C.S. Vent Control Circuit Failure
P0135
02 Sensor B1 S1 pre heater circuit malfunction
P1000
OBD System redines test not complete
P0460
Fuel level sensor Malfunction
P1127
Exhaust Gas temp out of range, 02 sensor test not complete
P1703
brake Switch out of range

these codes were pulled before the flashing OD light, no OD codes have been pulled from memory, but I will nto be driving the truck until it is fixed. It is either the shift linkage is out of adjustment, or a wiring issue with a trans sensor, possibly VSS out of range as well. I will be fixing this ASAP

Now for the fix:
P0453, not sure why this is high. I assume this is an EGR code, I will check my plumbing/lines/etc

P1451: I expected this code, since I currently have no Canister vent soleniod wired in, I do have the wiring available, my plan is to wire in a resistor to bypass this solenoid, my truck does not require it.

p0135: I will check the wiring to B1 S1 02 sensor, recently had exhaust done, this is a brand new sensor (I used two new upstream sensors for conversion). I am guessing they twisted the wires or something when the exhaust was built.

P1000: I hate this code, I wish it would die. No seriously I expect this one to go away after I get all these other codes fixed and drive the truck more

P0460: Expected this code as well, I just need to hook up the fuel level input wire for the PCM, no biggie.

P1127: not sure what to think about this, guessing it is related to B1 S1 pre heater issue, or possible small exhaust leak at the drivers side header? I will see if it goes away when I fix the B1 S1 code

P1703: I dont believe the scanner, I think the brake switch is in range, its hooked up and it works, so I will ignore this code for now.

Hopefully I will have this all worked out very soon, like this weekend. My trip to Moab is in jeapordy, but I can always go later in the year, just not with the Explorer group = sucks. I have not missed a year since 01.

For the conversion to be completed I still need to (aside from listed above):
install front driveshaft (shop called today, it is done)
have exhaust modified slightly, for more ground clearance (not a pressing issue)
install AC

and thats it!

Jamie,

Do you have a 1997 Ford Truck CD-ROM? They have the pinouts of every connector on the truck in there. I can upload the diagram of the OBD-II connector if you need it.

As for the OBD-II connector, Ford ran wires from many modules on the truck to that connector, suck as the GEM, EATC, etc, so dealers can access the sub-computers with their NGIS STAR tester. Regular OBD-II scanners don't even have pins for those functions.

P0453:Evap Emissions Control System pressure high

This code is not EGR. It is for the gas tank evaporative emissions system. If you dig into your scanner, you can pull up a value for "fuel tank pressure." This sensor is located in the gas tank.

P1451:EVAP E.C.S. Vent Control Circuit Failure

I beleive this sensor is in the vent canister. On my truck, this is in the driver's side fender, under the battery. Again, it is dealing with evaorative emissions.

P1000: OBD System rediness test not complete:

This is merely so emissions testing stations will know if you've recently reset the system. It is a good idea in theory, as many emission-specific codes are only triggered after a long or several drive cycles. It should NOT generate a CEL, and will go away.

P1127 Exhaust Gas temp out of range, 02 sensor test not complete:

Most likley your O2 sensor is not sending an excpected signal within a certain time frame.

P1703 brake Switch out of range:
The BOO (Brake On/Off) switch is merely an open/closed continuity switch.

Here are some OBD-II tips I've found:
1) O2 sensors love to throw codes, especially redundant ones. For instance, if the sensor's heater is not hot enough, it won't send data to the PCM. The PCM will then throw both a heater code, and a no data code.

2) Many tests and codes are drive-cycle dependant rather than continously monitored. That means that you need to excercise the truck, as the tests are only sporatically run.

3) Have you looked at the "Ford Enhanced" scanner/sensor data? There should be a way to see the live sensor values. I find this is the best way to troubleshoot.

I use Alex Peper's www.obd-2.com computer interface with an old laptop, and it's amazing to be driving down the road, and have the air pressure in my fuel tank, or o2 sensor voltage, displayed in real-time on the screen.

-Aaron

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thanks.
I have a 2000 5.0L book that I used to build my harness.
I would love the pinouts for the 97! So I can compare.

P0453: I do not have the fuel tank sender wires hooked up yet, there are 4 wires, I talked about them earlier in my conversion. I need to modify my tank to accept a OBD-II sending unit. I can hook up the fuel level wire no problem, but the other 3 will need a new sender in the tank. My understanding is it is seperate from the pump/sender assembly.

Aaron thanks for your input! I am aware of the OBD-II interfaces on the market, unfortunatley in order for me to have access to the $3000 scanner I used to get these codes its an hour drive and during my working hours. So until I can upgrade to a Laptop system and get real time output from the PCM I am stuck witha Acutron pocketscanner, which will at least show me the codes. For now my only goal is to eliminate the MIL and get the scanner talking to the PCM in both KOER and KOEO tests, then I can pass colorado emissions.

Thanks for your help! I am behind on this OBD-II stuff, I need that CD! maybe I can win this 160$ million powerball.....

Here ya go:

Attachments

• DLC_pinout.jpg
    DLC_pinout.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 2,599

Thanks man! Now post the rest of the CD :) hahahah
who makes your CD, Chiltons?

You rule!
I believe that matches the 2000, but I will confirm
I pulled my diag 16 pin plug from a 96donor, it had 7 wires basically there are 3 wires that go directly to the PCM, 2 grounds, a power, and one for the GEM module. I have 6 of seven hooked up right now, but something is fishy.

For example when I plugged in the Acutron Pockertscanner, then turned the key to on for the KOEO test, the fuel pump was on continually, until I unplugged the scanner = cant be good.

how much new?
(it's weird i was spending money like water, now I am out)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought mine from Ebay, those auctions seemed legit to me.

Back