410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion

Conversion Complete - 062905
Est 3500+ Miles since first turn of the key.

She passed Colorado Emissions with flying colors yesterday.
It was a crazy scene it took 2.5 hours for her to pass and they ran her through twice because the first kid used the wrong adapter on the gas cap.

After speaking with the manager they agreed to re-test. You see I had been in 2 days prior and failed due to a 02 sensor code, seems to have been a fluke, new 02 sensors and factory style wiring checks out, code has not returned. They also had some trouble getting her into D and not 2 (still fine tuning, works fine when I drive her! haha). the gas cap is from the 96 and the cap passed 2 days ago so I was like WTF? I am not paying another $25.

Bottom line, is this truck thinks it is 100% factory 97 Mercury Mountaineer.
Now I can begin the 5.0L mods! hahaha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice work man!! :thumbsup:

Sounds like a detailed inspection. Will you have to go through it every year, or was this just a "conversion" inspection?

Also, did they test the truck as a 97 Mountaineer, or an 88 BII?

its not detailed, in CO its every two years.
it doesnt matter which vehicle they base it off of, the requirements are the same for both trucks in CO (same limits fromthe tailpipe test)

The test is based on 88 Bronco II, They are perfectly aware it has a 5.0L, dont care.

They look under the truck for at leaast 1 02 sensor, and 1 cat converter (like OEM Bronco II)
They look under the hood for who knows what reason, on some vehicles they check for emissions equipment.
They then run the tailpipe sniffer test with the truck on a Dynomemter for 4.5 minutes.

finally they check the pressure of the gas cap.

thats it.
If the truck was to fail again I could have gone to the special inspection station and had a confirmation of conversion equipment done by a pro, but the end result would still be I am required to have a02 sensor, and cat converter, pass the gas cap and tail pipe tests based on a 88 BII.

I have 4 os sensors, two primary cats, I retained EGR (for now) and I have a EVAC system really similar to a 97 explorer (minus charcoal canister and cainster vent solenoid, both a waste of space)

the goal of this conversion was to make it all OEM, it worked! hahahaha
Now I can modify

I bet your one happy camper!!!!!

Good job! Congrats:chug:

Congrats. I know the feeling. when we got tracy's jeep to pass after the engine swap it was a hure relief. I cant wait to see the mods that come about.

Took her wheeling yesterday, engine DIED in the middle of a HUGE mud puddle.
After 20 minutes she fired back up and the old foot on the gas pop it in D worked to get us back onto tera firma.

I soaked the air filter with black gross mud :) Looks like my intake mods (fabricate cold air box) just moved up the list of things to do...hahaha

Other then that she did great, the 5.0L in low range just wants to climb, I mean litterally even with the 33's at 15# the truck will idle up steep hills!!

Pictures coming soon, hahahaha

My lack of full fender skirts = soaked air filter and mud came through the doors :)
Next up:
air box, fender skirts hahaha

I bet that engine's not near as pretty as she was 2 days ago. Pics!

HAHAHAHA you got that right! the result was a serious miss, MAS codes, trans codes, and a little extra hot drivetrain on the way home!

Yikes! More wrenching. Do you have pictures of you in the hole?

powerwashing, then diagnosis coming up, I wanted to leave the mud for the 4th weekend, cant now!
The girl I was with has the pictures, she went hiking today while I am at work....sucks! hahaha Will get pics ASAP.

Need to see some photos. Gald to hear its working good.

410Fortune said:
powerwashing, then diagnosis coming up, I wanted to leave the mud for the 4th weekend, cant now!
The girl I was with has the pictures, she went hiking today while I am at work....sucks! hahaha Will get pics ASAP.
:thumbsup: Congrats on the accomplishments..it sounds the the BII is a Chick Magnet now :p :cool:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh yeah chicks dig trucks that require 90% of your time :) hahaha

The MAS was covered in mud, this is why she bogged down in the mud and was having "issues"

All is well now, I have started to finish my cold air intake, yesterday I made a bracket to hold the intake tube and filter in place and ran the cold air feed to the filter. NExt I will fabricate a heat guard that will flow the cold air to the filter and protect the filter from water and underhood heat.

Aftermath:
(still waiting on pictures of actual mud hole and stuck)
2893mud1.jpg

2893mud2.jpg

Shes almost back to normal now, removed about 40# of sludge. Later this week I am putting the 35's on and going wheeling for real...

The 5.0L RUNS AWESOME
I cannot explain to you guys how much fun it is to drive!

Last edited by a moderator:

I bet that thing is a blast to drive. Like to see some action pics with the 35's with the new set-up

she finally sent me the pictures from the actual event:
2893hole.jpg

2893mud.jpg

the mud hole is the shallowest of the 5 in a row up here in this marsh, I took this route because we were alone (1 truck) did not get stuck traction wise, just water/intake wise.

Still cleaning this crap out of the undercarriage :) What a mess.
Also it literally stained my truck, especially the fiberglass, I had to use boat hull cleaner to get it off :) hahahaha
I hate mud.

Last edited by a moderator:

what kinda gas mileage you gettin with that thing? bet it's pretty good :thumbsup: :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410, i have allways been interested in what wheels you have on that thing? i really like them.

Back