410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion

410Fortune said:
only in CA does the frame get boxed with flamed plates, hahaha

Man those look nice, is it top secret or can we know whos truck this is?
347 crate engine?
DROOL

Did I ever tell you guys how bad I want to build a 2wd Ranger?

Your right, I did not even see it :confused: Looks like it might say Moroso on the oil pan. Which are top line stuff. I had a Morose oil pick up on on of my race cars that even swiveled with the oil like in acceleration or decelaration or hitting brakes. Must be a sump type system being so shallow. But I guess this is the norm in off road racing. Love to see rest of truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a race truck, trust me, just not sure which one.

it appeared briefly on DR not too long ago.

Have you guys seen my friend Jason's 1450 class SCORE Ranger being built?
Baker motorsports is almost done: Holy crap this truck was nice before when I first saw it, now it is being dubbed "Trophey Ranger":

post-2-01511-tn_front.jpg

http://bakermotorsports.net/v8_ranger.htm

Also if you have not seen DUST TO GLORY yet on Dvd go get it.
West Coast trucks are not messing around, from $10K to 2 million, they are leading the way for all of our sport....

Last edited:

Well I ordered my first Bronco II 5.0L GT-40 bolt on upgrade! hahaha
teh headers, intake and exhaust went on at the time of the conversion so they don't count.

Based on Roberts advise and from what I have heard bang for the buck wise I went ahead and ordered the Ford Racing 1" phenolic intake spacer.
A local Mustang Shop will have it for me tomorrow :)
I hope my hood clears it! hahaha

M9486A53.jpg

"M-9486-A53* GT-40 Manifold – 1" thick for clearance with M-6582-E302 Valve Covers
New and improved quality, made-in-the-U.S.A. CNC machined from Westinghouse Type C phenolic material fits between the upper and lower manifolds to help dissipate heat and significantly increase performance. Includes longer bolts."

For $80 this sucker should get me some HP.

trucks in the shop right now getting the rear ARB, new 4.10 Yukon gears, and new axle shock mount tabs (better ground clearance and better shock cycling, when I did the spring over I messed up the shock mounts)

I plan to install the spacer tomorrow night :)

rookieshooter said:
I had a Morose oil pick up on on of my race cars that even swiveled with the oil like in acceleration or decelaration or hitting brakes.
I saw that same thing in one of the new 4x4 mags in the new products column. A swiveling oil pickup for offroaders. Not sure if it was Moroso, though. Was this on one of your drag cars, back in the day?

Jamie,

Let me know how that EFI Heat Spacer does. With that light vehicle, you should be moving far and away faster!!! We've had a few people put them in with very good results. Your hp and tq should jump nicely.

We have a gentleman in Puerto Rico with a Saleen Explorer with a Powerdyne blower and of course Torque Monster Headers with the 1" EFI Heat Spacer. He says between the Headers and EFI Heat Spacer, it turned his vehicle into something else!!! He got pretty excited. By the way, the Powerdyne was already there before the addition of Headers and EFI Spacer. BIG Difference!!!

It sounds like you're having too much fun!

Bob Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers

Bob,

I did this modification to my old original 2.9L engine, that was already nicely modded (ported intakes, bolts on's, tuned, etc) It helped quite a bit. the intake charge obviously was much cooler in the combustion chamber.
Fuel mileage did suffer, but um yeah if I cared about that too much I wouldn't be doing what I do :)

Speed shop is to call me today when the part is in. I also am going to pick up the truck witht he new rear locker and some other various works done sometime today...it could be a really fun day!

I am also ready to order headers for my 96 5.0L project, heheheehe I will be calling you.

Bill,

Hey I want a big Tiki in the spring!! Trip to CA is on again...
I could have sure used that swivel pickup pan thingy in Moab on the Launching Pad that day....sheesh.

Just know when you are watching those shows, so am I. :) Not sure which show it was but I saw that same Morso pan last Sunday.
POWERBLOCK BABY! hahaha
Overhaulin is like the best show ever...I am just waiting for Foose to come steal my BII.....

hahaha

I have the 1'' spacer on my truck. 410: are you running the external EGR? If so thats the problem I had with my 1'' spacer to where the EGR tube was not long enough. I know the Torque monster headers look like it brings the egr bung higher but I know with stock manifolds and the 1'' spacer the tube is too short. If you ordered the gt40 kit for the mustang you will also need 2 more longer bolts that took me forever to find at a hardware store

Thanks for the tips! I used a new EGR hose from Ford when I did the conversion. It seems to have more length left in it, but I guess we shall see!

I know a great bolts place, I will ask at the Mustang shop, heck maybe I'll bring one of my GT-40 intakes with me hahaha

yeah in the kit you will get 6 short and 2 long. You really need 4 long ones and only 4 short ones. The simple thing is there are only 2 sizes so just get 2 more of the long ones. Also the way your coil packs mount in the front will be a little modified. Are you going to circulate antifreese through it still? If not then you need to cap off the in and outs on the manifold then just run a jumper on the rail. You can't just cap the rail (foud out the fun way)

I never hooked up the intake coolant pipe :) I try to eliminate as much plumbing as possible, hahaha I even ditched my charcoal canister and all that 5.0l EVAC stuff = useless. My vacuum routing is a bit different as well, no plastic ford lines for me and I dont need all those connections they have on the Gen II's.

Why can't you cap it? Mine is just open to nothing. The tube just runs straight through the intake, mine is not hooked up to anything. I dont have that pass side coolant hose assembly (the metal tubes), I just ran hoses direct to the heater core, but I do understand that if I did still have that coolant "manifold" it would need a jumper to circulate.

OH I see thats where you tried to cap, hahaha = Coolant blew the caps? hahaha
I thought you means the actual metal tube that goes through the underside of the upper intake....that sucker you can leave hooked up to nothing.

410Fortune said:
OH I see thats where you tried to cap, hahaha = Coolant blew the caps? hahaha

Exactly, 2 AM finishing up an all day project with headers and all and coolant went flying right after startup. Then I relized what I did and its been running good for over a year now.

I am just wasting time for the truck to cool down so I can put my new 1.6 roller rockers on that I got an AWESOME deal on (80$)

Daily upgrades = SWEET. :)
You should have seen the hot oil spray episode I had near completeion of the conversion.
5.0L running a slight oil drip is appearing at my remote filter mount, where my pressure line for the mechanical gage comes in. Just barely touch it with the wrench and the line came off!! hahahah hot oil went EVERYWHERE by the time I hit the key and shut the truck down...

That was fun.

Well Torqyue Monster Headers has come through again.

Robert contacted me to tell me that he has "refined" the 5.0l conversion headers. He sent me a new set and they arrived today!
I will be swapping them with the ones in the BII ASAP.

Pictures and details to come this weekend...tomorrow we shall see what the differences are between the prototypes and the new manifolds.

Thanks Robert, you simply do not get better customer support then that!

Jamie,

With out realding all 18 pages :rolleyes: How did you do the wireing? We are going to put a 93-94 t-bird 5.0 into a 80 250. At least it's not OBD II ;)

Sounds interesting. Can't wait for pics.

How did I do the wiring? Holy moley. Well first off I have done wiring for about 12 different conversions to date, most of them 4.0L.
This was my first EEC-V system.

The key is to have the complete wiring schematics books for both vehicles.
Then its just hours and hours of tracing wires, researching where and why, piecing it all together, sleepless nights with dreams of wiring looms, and lots and LOTS of back breaking soldering.

It is not uncommon to have more time in the wiring harness then the actual conversion.
I think I had like 100 or so hours in this harness.

I was really happy to work with the 5.0L harness however, it is a stand alone drivetrain harness, which is nice for a change. the stupid 4.0L OHV harness has the headlights, ABS, power distribution, and a bunch of other junk wrapped up with it. The 5.0L goes from computer to engine and trans, and from computer to truck, tweo big plugs, much much easier.

Dont be scared of OBD-II. There were only a few extra sensors to deal with (fuel tank, EVAC system) In 98 they started using PATS< which means you need to re-flash the PCM to remove it or get the PATS module and key swtich from your donor.

I am loving this OBD-II system and cannot WAIT to get a laptop interface and tuner.

the EFI 5.0L you are talking about is MUCH easier to wire then what I went through. That speed density 5.0l can and has been put into everything (toyots trucks, Miata's, etc) Painless makes a wiring harness you can use, or you can do it yourself (dont be scared) Just make sure you get the wiring book for the 250 and the T bird.

what engine does the 80 250 have now? I-6?

Last edited:

i got an email saying my new swap headers are on the way too. if you get them in and get some pics i'd like to see them. Bob moved tubes #1 and #5 closer to the block and moved #7 up a little and moved it in off the firewall. i'd like to see them if you can get pics up.

New Headers! Thanks again Robert:

dside.jpg

pside.jpg

here are the prototypes that we began with for comparison.
I will hopefully get to put these on next week, I will get some pics of the two sets together at that time and detail all differences.

2893HEADERS.jpg

top notch fabrication on these suckers, man I wish I had those skills!

Last edited by a moderator:

2893HEADERS.jpg

top notch fabrication on these suckers, man I wish I had those skills![/QUOTE]

Can any one tell me what fitting he is sending with the hearders for the EGR. I need to get my hands on one. Tanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Robert could tell you for sure, have you tried calling him?
http://torquemonsterheaders.com/home.html

and you are talking about the silver piece pictured in the shrink wrap correct? male threads on both sides?

I have one at home I can measure.
I bought a new EGR tube from Ford, like $23.
with my 97 gt-40p, it all worked out perfectly.

Back